Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New model MG estate. Dont think a scoob will keep up with this..

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 08:50 AM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So keep your eyes open....

bloody hell!!
Old 09 September 2003, 09:30 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Don't think that one will ever hit the road!

They've been meant to be bringing out some big power 75's for some time now- we are still waiting. Rover desperately need some credibility, they need to bring these models out ASAP.

Think they were to be V8 powered and RWD, sounds good if they ever get their asses into gear and produce them.
Old 09 September 2003, 09:47 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waits for the word "twisties" to appear in the thread.
Old 09 September 2003, 10:01 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've seen one of the prototypes parked up at the local country pub. Indistinguishable from the normal fast ZT-T, apart from the silver badge reading 265 instead of the normal 190.

Sadly I didn't hear it leave...

A mate's dad, who works for MG Rover, has had a ride in one of the other prototypes through the lanes. I think it had a bit more than the 265bhp though! He was very impressed by the acceleration, handling and sound. "Got to 100 very, very quickly" apparently...

They do need to get their act together though - the Extreme Range was supposed to be out last September I believe... Last I heard was that they were having transmission problems, I think.
Old 09 September 2003, 10:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
hmmmm V8 Rover 75

Wonder if they will bung two k-series together.
Old 09 September 2003, 03:02 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

jjones,

I know it'll be RWD but if the current MGs are anything to go by the handling should be very, very good !! Whilst probably no Scoob in the handling stakes, the "twisties" shouldn't be too much of a problem !!!

Old 09 September 2003, 04:21 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

but would you buy a rover to replace your scoob

i dont think so
Old 09 September 2003, 04:31 PM
:Mike:
Scooby Regular

The engine is a version of the US Ford Mustang unit.

It will come out in base form with 265 Bhp, and the higher spec version will have 385 Bhp.

Been waiting for a while, but hopefully they will release them soon.
Old 09 September 2003, 05:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

but would you buy a rover to replace your scoob
i dont think so
Some people have very short memories. Just a decade or so ago, the thought that someone looking for a serious performance car might buy a Subaru would have been considered laughable!

The 75/ZT's suspension is based very closely on the BMW 3-series, and nobody argues about that car's ability in the twisties!
Old 09 September 2003, 05:18 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

yes but its still a rover and they will never match subarus commitment to success that they started with the leggy

mr mcrae killed lots of engines/cars but they kept going must have cost millions rover dont have millions!
Old 09 September 2003, 08:11 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Neither did Subaru - hence FHI selling a share of the company to General Motors a few years back. Given a choice between driving a Rover or a Vauxhall, I know which I'd rather have!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/9/2003 8:11:55 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 08:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Yep build one with 700+bhp and sell me one for 30K and I will give up the scoob .
Old 09 September 2003, 08:32 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jerry* - was a sarcastic remark was waiting for the first "my scoob is the fasted thing on the planet" person to mention "twisties" as happens whenever any other car is dared mentioned on the bbs.
Old 09 September 2003, 08:33 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

I thought the RS4 then the RS6 were the fastest production estates/avants......will take some beating.

Mog
Old 10 September 2003, 01:00 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

<ahem>

A little company called "Prodrive" helped out MG/Rover with many facets of the cars design.
Old 10 September 2003, 10:34 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

only thing decent that i ever knew named "Rover" was my mates dog when i was a kid.. it got run over !
Old 10 September 2003, 11:55 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Ill grab jj by the twisties and hear him squeal like a pig
Old 11 September 2003, 07:27 AM
cossie abuser
Scooby Regular

Its going to use a Ford 4.6litre V8
two versions, a 265BHP run of the mill car and a 385BHP supercharged version.
I have just bought a MG ZT-T190, and would have waited for the V8 had I known about it
Old 11 September 2003, 04:45 PM
evoviifan
Scooby Regular

If the car is good enought i would buy it...i am all about how a car drives...don't care who makes it.

Old 11 September 2003, 05:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

exactly that's why for the most part I wouldn't own or drive a Rover. A couple of their new MG's seem good but the rest...................
Old 11 September 2003, 06:28 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oh here he is... that NACRO bloke spouting again on threads that mention Rovers.. >yawn<

Don't think he's ever owned one or driven one... not recently anyway.. does he know how they all drive/handle - doubt that too.

A competitively priced 75 based MG with a mad Ford V8 will more than likely be a belter of a car. The build quality and finish of those cars is generally very good. More than a match for a Scoob in that department. Just depends if that's your thing.

I've owned 3 Rover vehicles and they've cost me next to nowt to run and own. I've driven them all fairly hard and they have been plenty of fun and mostly problem-free (I've driven Scoobs too, including the STI and love 'em to bits btw). some of the dealers have been morons - but then alot of car salespeeps are.

Just because you own a Scoob doesn't mean that everything else is crap and beneath you. Okay - this is a Scooby BBS so you expect a bias towards Scoobies.. but c'mon - they ain't the be all and end all of motoring.

Okay NACRO won't drive or be seen near or in a Rover.. soo bloody what !!
Old 11 September 2003, 06:43 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Could be a damn good reason to drive a Rover, if you see what I mean!
Old 12 September 2003, 10:59 AM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Calm down Nackers..

I just find it a little sad that you filled nearly 9 pages on another thread trying to tell everyone to avoid Rovers and convince them that they shouldn't buy them 'cos the company doesn't have the right funding or vision etc..

Yep, you are entitled to your own opinion and no-one has a problem with that, except that opinion appears to contain big sweeping statements of very little fact.. "Rover build mostly bad cars.." being an example..

Naturally as a car enthusiast and an owner of 3 Rover built vehicles over the years that encountered very little or no problems and plenty of comfortable, enjoyable motoring - I am going to stick up for Rover when someone slags them off as being "mostly crap".. okay not all of them are my cup of tea, but the ones I had were sound cars for the money.

Okay the odd jibe or sarky comment is normal, but when someone features regularly over 9 or 10 pages of a thread trying to convince all of us that they are "sh*te" then you begin to think WTF is this bloke's problem.. maybe he's a muppet ?!

Cheers,

Old 12 September 2003, 11:45 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Dear old jerry you don't get it do you? I am calm, in fact I'm having a good laugh at you for one thing.

I couldn't give 2 hoots if people want to drive round in Rovers, in fact I'd encourage them to do it, keep some people in a job at the very least. It's just that I don't like most of the cars they produce and am not afraid to say it. It's a fact they produced mostly bad cars, couldn't compete in the market and went bust.
As for filling 9 pages I was merely putting my point of view in response to others with a different take on the Rover issue. Of course I get the feeling that you and they would prefer it if they could stifle anything that doesn't fit in with their blinkered view of Rovers prospects.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your Rovers- after all someone has to I suppose. In no way am I trying to convince anyone that Rovers are generally bad cars, there is no need MGR are doing a fine job of it.

Stay happy

NACRO
Old 12 September 2003, 12:35 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ha ha ha !!

Blinkered ? Hmm..

Bottom line.. its hard to accept the opinion of someone who has not had any hands on experience and just says something is crap because the manufacturer isn't in the best financial shape.

FFS Bugatti went **** up, and Lotus nearly have numerous times.. so are their cars crap then ?

From what I can gather in your various posts, you have never owned a Rover or even driven one, so how the hell does you feeble little argument hold any weight ?

Doesn't the fact that 9 or so pages were partially filled on the other thread by numerous people with a different take on the Rover subject to yourself tell you that maybe you were talking b0ll0cks ?

This is boring....
Old 12 September 2003, 01:02 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Firstly not everyone in the thread took the "rover is faultless" side, anything but.

Secondly if its boring why don't you sod off and stick your contributions where they would best fit?

I've driven a few Rovers as you would know if you've bothered reading what I'd put. Obviously you haven't. You'd also know that I have a lot of respect for the cream of Rovers output- it's just the majority of dross I have no time for.

As for "feeble little argument" why don't you try reading other peoples posts before shooting of your fat mouth? Another loser.
Old 12 September 2003, 08:07 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jerry* I think you're wasting your time with the Knackered contributor - he of the **** insertion and loser obsessions.. He will ALWAYS find a reason not to have a Rover - his kind always does! Be delighted if at some stage he proves me wrong ... oink oink - flap flap.

BTW, if you are who I think you are - please reveal your current daily driver...... may open the eyes of one or two blinkered types. There again, perhaps not ....
Old 12 September 2003, 10:17 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Another lame reply from an old has been............
Old 14 September 2003, 12:44 AM
NiceCupOfTea
Scooby Regular

NACRO - just have to pick you up on something - Rovers may well not be to your taste - fine, but to call them bad cars is not fair. IMHO they haven't made a bad car since the dark days of the 80s, and Subaru, Ford, Vauxhall et al weren't exactly making future classics at the time!

Over the last 15 years, Rover has come up with Mk.2/3 200, 25 and ZR, all sweet handling and quick small cars (don't forget the Tomcat Turbo, with 200bhp as standard), the 600Ti (again, 200bhp as standard, great Q car), ZS - didn't Tiff call it the best FWD car he'd ever driven?

Fair enough, the ZT is a bit underpowered, but MGR are working on the V8s, and given their financial situation they have more important fish to fry - RD60 (Rover 45 replacement) and the CityRover.

And don't forget the K-series, which companies like Caterham, Ariel, & Lotus have been getting up to 200bhp out of (a N/A 1.8 remember). There's not many 1.4s around even now that get 103bhp in standard tune....

So, you might not be a fan, but I disagree with you calling them bad cars. One of Rover's biggest problems is people going round saying "I used to own a Montego, it was ****"! So were most cars being made in the mid-80s! Rover deserve our support, the more they get slated, the more difficult life is made for them!

They're not perfect, and not without their dark days and cars they would no doubt rather forget, but credit where credit's due, eh!?

(for the record, I drive a Rover 25 1.6. Hardly a supercar, but quite an entertaining drive all the same - tidy handling and 0-60 in 9.5ish! Has been perfectly reliable (and it has had a hard life), looks good, and still gets 40mpg *shrug*)

[Edited by NiceCupOfTea - 9/14/2003 12:47:15 AM]
Old 14 September 2003, 06:48 AM
NACRO
BANNED

My comments about the bad cars were based on the old Rover (ie Pre MGR)and even some of them were pretty good, thinking of the 600ti in particular. The quality of most oftheir product and management incompetance lead to their failure IMHO.

I haven't and wouldn't say that the current range is that bad at all. Just that the "streetwise" (lol) is a terrible example of their shortsightedness. A plastic clad 25 is not going to save them.

[Edited by NACRO - 9/14/2003 6:49:39 AM]

Quick Reply: New model MG estate. Dont think a scoob will keep up with this..