Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Want to buy a 2nd hand car.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 09:59 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to check everything pretty much.

First of all before going for a test drive test or even starting the engine. Start with the tyres, anyone who skimps on these will have skimped on lots of other stuff on the car. Are they all the same tyre, paired on axles or just a mish mash of four different makes. If its the latter, then I get really suspicious. Pop the bonnet and just give the engine compartment the once over. Look at the HT leads, see what condition they are in, have a look under the oil filler cap for any signs of headgasket trouble, Dip the oil to see what its like in the sump, is it nice and clean or close to tar. Open up the Header tank and have a look at the coolant, is it a nice colour, plain water is no good, and neither is rust orange (sign of possible haedgasket failure), look for a good mix of water and antifreeze. Check the condition of all the hoses too, check none are perished.

Then wander round the exterior of the car, looking for signs of repaired damaged, look for rippled panels and uneven panel gaps, cracks in bumpers that have been repaired. Look closely at the lights and lenses, and give the windscreen a once over. Any chip or crack over 10mm wide/long in a zone 30cm either side of the steering wheel centre line will be an MOT failure. Give each corner of the car a bounce to check the operation of the dampers, look that both compression and rebound damping are OK.

Then go for your drive. On the drive check the tracking and balancing of the wheel is OK. If its front wheel drive check out the driveshafts and CV joints are OK. Just find a large space to drive round in circles on, then drive round in circles, both left and right hand circles listening for any clicking type noise, or anything unusual. Check the clutch is OK, my preferred method is to roll along at 30mph, dip the clutch, select fourth gear, give it lots of revs and let the clutch out, and see if it slips. Check the brakes, find a flat bit of road with no cambers which is nice and straight, drive upto 50mph take your hands off the wheel and brake hard, not emergency stop hard but enough to get the front of the car dipping, and make sure it brakes in a straight line, pulling one way or another is no good. Then after that do an emergency stop type braking test and check that one wheel doesn't always lock before the others. After this your looking for any sloppiness in the steering, spongy brake pedal, check the syncros on the gearbox aren't worn and that you can change gear without any grinds or stiffness when moving the lever.

After the drive, pop the bonnet again and check for any leaks. Oh I forgot to say don't start the car yourself, stand behind the car and watch for any smoke from the exhaust. When you're back from the drive again stand at the rear, but get the owner to rev the car to check again for any smoke. Also then check all the electrical equipment works, wipers, lights, windows, dashboard warning lights, everything.....

Then check the service history and MOT's. Obviously check its been regularly serviced, are there any mileage discrepancies, when was the last cambelt change done etc etc. If everything checks out then you can think about buying.

I don't think I've left much if anything out, but if anyone else can think of anything, chuck it in below this. Oh and ignore are spelling errors, I couldn't be arsed to spell check after typing this.

[Edited by Reffro - 9/3/2003 10:00:49 AM]
Old 02 September 2003, 05:24 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Question

What things should i look out for? My boyfriend thinks i should take someone with me when i go to see them but i'd quite like to just do it myself.

What not-so-in-your-face problems should i be aware of?

Thanks for any replies
Old 03 September 2003, 07:18 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

?
Old 03 September 2003, 07:36 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It all depends on what you're after and how much you're looking to spend.

Expand.
Old 03 September 2003, 07:45 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Weellll, im looking to spend £1500-2000. Looked on autotrader and i'm thinking of a peugeot 106 or renault clio.
Old 03 September 2003, 10:07 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Cheers Reffro But if i manage to do all that it'll be a miracle. Looks like bf will have to come and hold my hand
Old 03 September 2003, 11:11 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could also fork out some cash to the AA to check a car over. They don't miss a thing

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2003, 11:18 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

LOL Brun. Don't think so
Old 03 September 2003, 12:27 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree with Brun. Every car I've had I've had the AA check. Might seem expensive but eh it could save you a hell of a lot of money. In most instances the "little" things that have needed doing before I've picked the car up have usually covered the price of the inspection.
Old 04 September 2003, 08:09 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Well I've been advised against the AA checks. Thanks though, i might look into it.