Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Tuscans anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 11:01 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of buying a boxster/s, however I see for 27k I could get a mint tuscan! nice, however:

anyone know - service intervals? reliability etc etc???

I have to use this daily, is this just a daft idea

andy
Old 16 July 2003, 11:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im a TVR fan but even i'd say a tuscan as an every day car was a risk.

T
Old 17 July 2003, 09:36 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A guy I used to work with had one. He had to buy another car to get him to and from work as it was just too unreliable. One morning he came in and told us he'd lost the rear window somewhere on the motorway!!

[Edited by jlanng - 7/17/2003 9:39:39 AM]
Old 17 July 2003, 09:38 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

pmsl at that last comment with the window!
Old 17 July 2003, 11:25 AM
iguana
Scooby Regular

They do look and sound awesome, however my cuz ran one and the 2 engine rebuilds in 10k miles plus a million other niggles saw her spendimg more time in courtacy cars than the tuscan. oh and bought new- price £48K & just sold it & got £27k! also rather hurt the wallet!

I know a couple of other people with tuscans who brought 2nd hand & have had no major probs yet & love 'em tho as a balance.

Good TVR forum on Pistonheads where they can try & convince you its the best thing since sliced bread tho
Old 17 July 2003, 11:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

For an everyday car Id stick with the Boxster - just make sure its an S. Dont see many people driving them fast, but like most porkas they are built to drive hard. Always thought they were a hairdressers car until I went out with a mate who thrashed it everywhere.

Simon.
Old 17 July 2003, 12:03 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

I have owned and still own a classic TVR.............

My personal opinion would be not to use it as an everyday car, unless mileage was low.... 5K or less. My reasons for this would be:

Cost
Keeping condition of car good (garaging a must)
Relaibility
Leaving it everywhere

So to ensure I'm happy I have a cheap Scooby wagon for everyday....

J

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2003, 01:08 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

I have a Boxster as my everyday car and I couldn't recommend one highly enough. It may only have 220 bhp, but it sounds awsome, has masses of torque, has a perfectly spaced box, is built like a tank and is a relative snip to run (low depreciation, average 30mpg if you're not thrashing it all the time and NOTHING has gone wrong in 27 months and 30k miles). Also, it's fully airbagged to the nines, ABS, traction control if you want it and pretty strong if you're unlucky enough to bump it.

The TVR is off course in a different performance league but as an everyday ownership choice, you'll be pulling your hair out. It will cost you a fortune if you use it every day. It'll be like marrying your mistress.

My mate has a Tuscan S with about 390 horses and you can hear it half a mile away. It is AMAZING - black with black 19" wheels. You can only use 1/4 throttle before the back breaks away one way or another in the wet. No traction control, no ABS, no power steering and nigh on 400 horses - think about that when you're coming home from work, knackered at 9pm in the sleet, in Feb....
Old 17 July 2003, 05:09 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have 2 friends with TVRs - one a Cerbera, the other a Chimaera, and both have daily runarounds (one's a push-bike!).
Old 18 July 2003, 01:22 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

My brother has a tuscan (http://www.ourtuscan.com). He uses it as an occaisional drive, dry weather, 2nd car. Having ridden in it (and driven it) several times, I'd have to say that although it drives, looks, and sounds awesome, I wouldn't want to try commuting every day in it. Seem reliable enough but it's far too expensive on the servicing side to rack up a huge mileage....

Iain