Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Triumph TR6 / Stag

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 11:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone any experience of these? Always had a soft spot for them.

Quick? Handling? Reliable? Gotta be fun to drive? etc. etc.
Old 16 July 2003, 11:17 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Stags were horrifically unreliable? I mean, I know all British cars are, but the Stag in particular?

TR6 bit more sporty, Stag more poseur, IMuninformedO.
Old 16 July 2003, 11:27 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Stag had major overheating problems, as Triumph fudged their V8 engine and did not use the Buick based unit from the Range Rover (3528 cc).

I have Clarkson on one of his vids testing a beautiful looking Stag.
Old 16 July 2003, 11:28 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

PS I always fancied a TR6 (150 bhp) for a summer car but never got round to getting one.

Someone has a white TR6 for sale in Classic and Sports Car with 2,000 miles on the clock.
Old 16 July 2003, 12:23 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mechanic mate of mine was apprenticed on Stags and now has a minter with manual / OD box.

He's a little biased of course, but he reckons the Stag got its bad rep because of poor maintenance rather than inherent faults.

The real problem was ally corrosion furring the head passages and radiator -- giving warped heads and overheating etc. The cause of this was .... dumb-**** owners and Triumph dealers NOT using anti-freeze all year round in the aluminium engine, and not changing coolant every two years.

The other problem was tensioning the timing chain .... like using anti-freeze and changing coolant, this sort of maintenance was largely unheard of in '71 / '72 in mass-market cars.

However, the Stag motor is still ****-weak (145bhp) so don't expect a rocketship .... sound & look great tho'
Old 16 July 2003, 12:41 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

aka Triumph Snag. A bit unfair and I'm sure that there are some very good (restored) Stags out there that would be worth a look these days.

10 years back I messed around with Triumphs, Heralds mainly, and the guy that I learned most from loved his Stags.

I believe that the design, without the integral roll bar which I assume is *highly* structural, was put forward to Maserati. For whatever reason, they rejected it but Triumph got their hands on it and made it what it was.

You might find one with a Rover V8 which could be easier to maintain but my view is that unless you want somthing just to tinker with and do a few thousand miles a year then you really need to throw money at a classic car and of course, you won't get much of it back.

If money was no object then a totally 're-manufactured' Stag would be something to behold but you could sink £30k into a project like that and if you ever sold you would proably loose a lot more than if you had spent the same on a brand new car like a nice 3-series cab.

IMHO.
Old 16 July 2003, 01:10 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Triumph, ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
TR6 = Ace
Stag = Overheater ugly thingy.

TR6 TR6 TR6!

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2003, 07:26 PM
tfc
Scooby Newbie

Brickboy as said it all...i use to work at triumph/rover/jag dealership...there wasnt a month without one coming into the garage with all of the above mentioned..pity it didnt have the rover V8 as this was very reiable..
and i would love a TR6 with t/bodies
Old 16 July 2003, 11:46 PM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Talking

I thought most stags still alive now had rover v8s transplanted in them? (I believe at the time the motors were a design leased from the US and they were rationed as to the amount they could use hence stag was designed originally for rover v8, hence also demise of mg v8, as they need to satisfy demand for rovers).

Anyway either way, if the bodywork is not great expect major bills, you won't recoup what you spend, and as always with such cars be very careful of nice looking cars that are rust buckets...if you really want one make sure you get some professional advice...

Good luck

CS
Old 17 July 2003, 08:29 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

TR6 NOT Stag
Old 17 July 2003, 08:32 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

I had a TR6 for a year or so - only sold it cos I was only getting chance to drive it every other weekend.

It was a 1973 UK 150bhp. It was superb. I was well impressed at how well it drove for an almost 30 year old car - would put many modern cars to shame. Mechanice are farily straightforward, straight 6 2.5 litre is brill. Like any car of that age bodywork is the biggest issue.

Make sure you know exactly what you're buying. Do a bit of homework - the best is definitely as above - UK 150bhp.

I think running costs of the TR6 will be less than the Stag.

Ian
Old 17 July 2003, 11:35 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Oddly enough a friend of mine has recently bought a Stag...

He loves it because he can take the family out and enjoy the summer and country drives in it. His still has the original engine and hasn't experienced any heating problems yet (though budgeted for an engine swap when buying!)... Sometimes he does the 60 mile round journey commute in it and so far its held up ok. More of a cruiser than a sports car if you ask me though!

Anyway someone I used to work for has owned a TR6 from when it was 3 years old (and the family owned it from new)... Its been extremely reliable the whole time with no major failures and bills... I think his is a '72 model with even the orignal radio Loads of fun and much more of a sports car than the stag!
Old 17 July 2003, 11:41 AM
Rob16v
Scooby Regular

Stags missed out on Rover V8s purely because of internal BL politics - Triumph didn't want to go cap-in-hand to arch rival Rover for a motor, so instead they slapped together two four cylinder Dolomite engines (true).

Rob