Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Merc E270cdi Estate

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 12:47 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone driven one / have any opinions? I'm on the verge of changing my MY00 Impreza Turbo for one... Avantgarde spec, leather, xenons etc. Looks very nice, as does 43mpg after the Scoob (and better residuals/dealer service etc, hopefully!). I'm sure it's going to feel huge and leaden compared to the Scooby but I need the space and it's a handsome beast. The plan is to keep it for years and trade my wife's motor (a Clio) for a hot hatch / fun car of some sort in a couple of years. I don't think I can wait for the new 5 series tourer, a turbo powered new Legacy or the new A6, so my shortlist has whittled down to the Merc (SUV's are too thirsty and wobbly for me!). I may settle for the 220 diesel if I can't get the deal I'm looking for but feel it would be a bit gutless in such a big car.

Anyone have any opinions / other suggestions ?
Old 16 July 2003, 01:12 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Not the estate but my oldman bought a saloon one about five weeks ago. He had a current shape GS300 Lexus before.

He said fuel economy is unreal but he isn't that impressed overall. He said Merc customer care is very poor after Lexus. He is still waiting for the spare keys and service history book. It has got some nice toys on in like a solar panel in the roof that powers air-con when the car is parked so it's cool when you get in it, keyless go etc. I personally was disappointed with the dash and centre console layout. Considering it is a new car I think it still looks dated. He's also got a problem with a panel that is not flush fitting on his and I don't think Merc are too fussed about sorting it. He said if the new Lexus GS300 is any good he's getting rid as soon as that comes out. If the new 5 series had been out he'd definitely have gone for one of those instead.

I would say they are infinitely better inside and looking than the previous E class. I drove an E300 TD one of those and speed wise it was ok but nothing special.

Hope that helps.

Chinnybloke
Old 16 July 2003, 01:42 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

I drove one (saloon) and liked it a lot. Totally different drive obviously, but was very refined and solid. Performance is no scoob, but good for a deisel

I thought the build quality was very goo indeed. Very comfortable, and a calm smooth drive, which is what you're after in a merc.

The extras were a bit of a put off for me. You need to add a lot of money for a decent specced car and used new shape prices were ridiculous.

I bought a year and a half old S8 in the end. Had the luxury and the performance i wanted and all the toys on. Oh and I saved money

Paul
Old 16 July 2003, 02:55 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

My Father has just got an E270cdi saloon, loves it. He swapped his A6 2.5 TDi quattro for it and the car and the dealer are in a different league from the Audi.

The only thing that annoyed him was the price of options that really should`ve been standard on a car of that price, even in Avantgarde trim.

I`ve had a quick punt in it and was impressed, goes well, awesome economy and build. It isn`t my cup of tea but he`s planning to keep it for 6 or 7 years and I`m sure it`ll last and grow old gracefully like old Benz`s appera to do.
Old 17 July 2003, 12:47 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

my "family" car is a MY01 E320cdi avantgarde. Excellent car very relaxing to drive and very quick given the size (not on the twisties tho'). Old or new shape is a lovely car that's very well built, solid and safe (MY01 is encap 4 MY03 is 5). Leg room in back is huge. I got the 7 seats and that is very convenient for kids. merc servicing is expensive and customer care at dealers varies wildly (mostly not good) ... but breakdown cover if you ever need it is lifetime and works well IMO.

You might want to think about bargins/extras you might get on one of the old style E320s.

a class machine in any environment

good luck.