Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What car now?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2003, 08:31 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Selling my Type R very soon due to the running costs and so far thought about the following cars:

Honda Civic Type R
BMW 328Ci
Clio 172
Ford Racing Puma

Now I know these are all completely different cars but just asking if anyone has owned, or does own, any of the above.

BMW would be nice for the motorway driving I am now doing but prob the most expensive car on my list, Clio might be bit too small?? Not sure about MPG on the Honda and know nothing about the Puma

Someone help me!!! some advice would be much appreciated

Oh and will be buying second hand not new.
Old 14 June 2003, 08:35 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Smile

What are your criteria for your next car, because there may be some cars that you haven't considered and could be the right ones for you.
Old 14 June 2003, 08:46 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Well that’s very true. Been looking about to see what I can get but the above ones are just some I have seen/thought about.

Budget will be about 16K give or take a bit.

Mainly selling scoob because I am now doing longer journeys (every other weekend more or less) so am looking for a car that is reasonable on petrol doesn't need a service/oil change every 3000/7000 miles and is possible has a little bit of go in it.

Thought about the BMW 330d as these would do about 40ish MPG plus have nice bit of torque but think one of them will be out of my budget

How does the Civic Type R do on the petrol front? Any better than scoob?

Any info or ideas would be great
Old 15 June 2003, 07:55 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

stiscoob

if u want my opinion I'd go for the CTR out of all of those you've listed. The reasons are its fuel consumption is pretty good (especially if u don't red line it everywhere) and its pretty nippy when u cane it :O)

The Racing Puma - Fuel consumption is not that good, prone to chipping, bits falling off it, very niche market come sell on time, corners well but not enough straight line speed. Would stand out from the crowd a bit though.

Clio 172 - Gets great reviews, excellent fuel consumption but I find myself saying yeah but no matter how good it is, its a CLIO and I think about the Nicole adverts etc and it puts me off. I know its just an image thing but I'm shallow like that......

BMW 328 - nice for cruisin', but its not very raw at all and if you've been used to an Sti type-r then its gonna seem a bit too soft I would imagine. Also do you really want to be known as just another BMW driver (Nescafe coffee granules handshake springs to mind......) Sorry any BMW drivers..........

So there you have it the CTR becos its the fastest, good fuel consumption, it will be reliable and practical, the engine sounds great at 8000 RPM and all for £15k new......

Only the other cars I would consider would be a Seat Leon Cupra-R and possibly an Audi S3 although both of these would be used examples for 15K.

BTW I'm Honda biased becos I drive an S2000, my bro has a new CTR and he thinks its great for the money.

[Edited by DuggE4 - 6/15/2003 7:56:23 PM]
Old 15 June 2003, 09:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

At the £16k mark there's quite a few worth a look. Your list is already good, but add.......
S/Mini - Pug 206 GTi180 or Mini CooperS (pathetic boot!)
Small - Focus ST170 or Seat Leon CR
Med - Skoda Octavia vRS (4x4 Turbo) or VW Golf 1.8T/2.3V5

I'd go for the Skoda myself.
Old 15 June 2003, 10:16 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

mmmmmm...........decisions decisions

Might go test drive Civic Type R next weekend as I haven't driven one yet. Don't want something that’s just as thirsty as my Scoob as I am looking to cut running costs down a bit.

CLIO = Yea think this is bit too small for the motorways plus looks too much like standard Clio.

BMW = Not sure, very nice comfortable cars but as said above 1000's of them about plus expensive when they go wrong.

Mini = Too Small

206 GTi 180 = just seen one of these on Top Gear. They look ok but how much do they cost? Can’t seem to find them on their web site.

Skoda = No thanks

Puma = Think will see if can get drive in one as they are not that common.

Cupra R = Don't look too bad think I would prefer the Honda for the same money as could get one new

Thanks for your comments guess I will go for BMW/HONDA and may be look at a racing Puma?

[Edited by stiscooby - 6/15/2003 10:18:14 PM]
Old 15 June 2003, 10:30 PM
SkodaMan
Scooby Regular

Skoda = No thanks
Another badge snob. How sad...
Old 15 June 2003, 10:55 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Na ain't no snob mate just don't want a skoda!
Old 15 June 2003, 11:20 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the Accord Type R if you want a bit more space than the Civic offers...