Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New-style VW Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2003, 08:49 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know they're not a performance car, but it's for the GF. She loves them, spotted a used Cyber Green one with Winter Pack at a dealer for 10k (2001 reg, 22k, one owner,etc).

Just interested in anyone's experience of them as I don't want her to waste her money. I do know they are effectively a dressed-up Golf, but are they any good to own and drive??
Old 07 June 2003, 09:22 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girl friend had a 2.0 bettle with winter pack etc in reflex silver, she kept it 6 months and now has a mini cooper, which is what she should have bought in the bloody first place.

Firstly, they are slow, real slow, 115bhp and it struggles to pull the car, she got 22/26 mpg which is shocking, my scoob was better on a run, cause the car is geared that low. The gear box is the worst i have experienced, my punto was better, too vague and long throw. The engine drank 1 litre of oil every 500 miles, for nearley 8k miles. It handle like a pig, too top heavy, the only good thing was the heated seats !

Oh and she lost 3k in six months !

The mini is exactly the opposite to the above, tell her to get on of them mate, they look cool, good to drive, nippy, economical and won't lose much money !
Old 08 June 2003, 01:28 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Blip
we got one and we love it.
Its got the 115bhp engine with some mods. However, its still not a fast machine.You can wind it up though, had ours sitting at 120mph down the autostrada in Italy no probs for hours. Quite torquey though. No benefit from reving the engine too high when overtaking as nothing really happens.

Car feels quite solid, also quite wide. Boot is pretty small and headroom in the back is restricted for adults over 5 foot 4.

Cabin has a very airy feel and car is nice to come back to at the end of the day.

Gearbox on our car is fine, but cable change, so not as sharp as mechanical linkage.

MPG better than scooby, we get about 33mpg.

Women love them..........