M5

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2003, 11:59 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Morning

Picked up my M5 today, what a motor!! I'll post some pictures next week, can't wait to drive home!!

Dom.
Old 17 April 2003, 03:56 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didn't your mum tell you not to brag??

[Jealousy mode off]

[I said jealousy mode OFF!]

Nope, sorry Dominic, still jealous!
Old 17 April 2003, 04:41 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dom,

Welcome to the club! I'm off to the Ring with mine tomorrow. Will post some piccies next week sometime. Enjoy!

Matt
Old 18 April 2003, 05:30 PM
DervMan
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

One of my favourite cars to drive (the boss has one, heh), at least on a quiet road, and they look like any other 5-series to 98% of the population!

When it's busy, nobody lets you out of junctions and suchlike because it's a BMW.

But I could never bring myself to own or lease one unless I could afford track days every quarter.

/looks at least cost figures/ I suppose that wouldn't really be an issue, though, heh!

Enjoy!
Old 22 April 2003, 08:23 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much, you all right it's a fantastic car!! Hope you enjoyed the ring, can't wait to see the pictures.

I'm keeping my STI RA for the track days but I do think the M5 would be mighty quick round any track!

The hardest desision is which one to drive, the quattro is defo. staying in the garage for a while!

Dom.
Old 22 April 2003, 10:43 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Look forward to the pics

How much do the older shape (circa early 1990's) start at? I'm considering looking next year (when company lease is up) - am I likely to get a decent one for less than £10k?
Old 22 April 2003, 05:21 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Congrats dude! Got one myself and it truely is an awesome car, i cant see myself changing it for a long time (well untill the E60 M5 that is)

Whats your spec?
Old 22 April 2003, 07:32 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Mine is a 2001 model in Anthracite metallic, it has the Imola red interior, Double glazed windows, comms. pack, glass sunroof, individual audio system and blacked out side and rear windows!!!

It is such an amazing car to drive, I had a 1999 XJR before and the M5 is 10x's better. It is also so quiet at 100mph+ you hardly hear a thing!

and when your stuck in a jam you can watch telly!

Dom.
Old 22 April 2003, 09:42 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

I've got an M5 now after selling my M3 both great cars (hello Tooney) but just fancied a change for a bit, the M5 amazes me because of its ability to kick its *** out and keep it hangin in there in the same way the M3 does! awesome for a big car!...
Old 23 April 2003, 08:48 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/2/2003 4:39:00 PM]
Old 23 April 2003, 03:32 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anthracite is a very nice colour and suits the M5s stealthy nature - good choice!

I got mine this march and it spec is

Estoril blue
Black nappa/grey insert leather
Comms pack
Phone
Double glazing
Tinted windows (had the drivers and passengers done too)
Individual hifi
TVs in headrests

AC Schnitzer mods:

Adjustable dampers
"White" carbon fibre interior panels
Shortshift
Pedal and handbrake set

Thinking about BMWs brake upgrade too! I've spent an absolute fortune on mine but i love it to bits - its the best car i have ever had and i will be keeping it for some time yet so why not!

I'd be very suprised if you ever bought another car that isnt a BMW from now on!

Old 23 April 2003, 03:49 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got a very sorted M5! I have read abit about the short shift, do you rate it?

Dom.
Old 23 April 2003, 07:09 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

M3 EVO

That sounds very very nice, mine is as follows

Carbon Black
Black nappa leather with silver inserts
Comms pack (added dvd and tele on the move to the widescreen in dash)
Hifi upgrade
Privacy glass
Heated seats
Rear blind and double glazing

Craig likes it!...
Old 23 April 2003, 10:03 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Most definately do rate the short shift!

Cannot really base it on comparison to the standard M5 gearbox as i only had a couple of test drives and ordered mine to come with the short shift fitted! But when i did drive the standard ones i found it a little notchy (well, untill at least the oil warmed). The main reason i had it was because my Mcoupe beforehand had it and that was a massive improvement over the M3 evo i had before that, which had the standard shift....

The gearknob can get a little hot though!
Old 24 April 2003, 12:05 AM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

hey.. a M5 thread
I got one back in feb, after selling the tek3'd p1..

similar spec as above..sat nav/tv, double glazing rear blinds, etc..

solid build, though i miss the turbo kick

working on the mods now 400bhp just isn't enough ACS pedals, exhaust... Anyone looked at the Birds supercharger upgrade? suppose to push it to 550bhp!!!

Can you get the quickshift fitted aftermarket?

Tin

[Edited by P1_scooby - 4/24/2003 12:06:58 AM]
Old 24 April 2003, 10:30 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

400bhp is enough for me at the moment, that might change after a couple of months!!
I still have the Scooby, so I can still enjoy the Turbo Kick...my STI RA is pushing about 330bhp at the moment!

I will look into the short shift as it's the only thing about the M5 that I feel could be improved.

I'm off to Rockingham on Monday in the Scoob..should be fun!

Dom.
Old 24 April 2003, 12:07 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dom,

Mine's as follows:

Anthracite (clearly the best colour )
Black extended leather
Comms Pack, TV, Nav, Traffic Master
Sunroof
Heated Seats

I've had original Angel Eyes fitted as mine was pre-light lift, and would dearly love to get rid of the wood trim! For an aluminium trim kit from BMW I'm looking at £675 and from Birds for the carbon kit (very very nice) it's about £1k. Not really worth it, but will have to see what funds allow.

I bought another set of wheels and tyres recently, so I can use one set for road and the other for trips to the Ring etc. I've also opened up the brake ducts and drilled the plastic vents out on the from air dam. Looks great and keeps the brakes/calipers cooler. I've also got braided hose all round.

Enjoy!

Matt

Old 24 April 2003, 02:25 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Did'nt realise so many people on here had M5s! Top car.I'll be looking at something like this as soon as I have kids.The new one is meant to have 500 BHP!
Never driven one and was wondering what its like in the wet?
Old 24 April 2003, 02:27 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Had mine now for 5 months and sometimes miss my old Scoob but the M5 has everything plus room for the family. Silverstone 99, full leather, no other extras (just wanted the car not the toys).

Where did you get the angel eye upgrade? I presume you had the Xenon conversion?

Also has anyone had any Vanos issues?

Have been posting to another chatroom for M5s - www.bm5w.co.uk. Very useful.

Still adjusting to the power (my old Scoob was a MY00 with PPP and DEP - so I had nearly enough then, but the delivery is much more linear (at least before 4000rpm).

Love it to bits.

Cheers

Tang
Old 24 April 2003, 02:30 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Deep,

In the wet my traction control light comes on in third gear at 85 on the motor way, so I've refrained from being too much of a hooligan in the wet. Different beast to the Scoob - requires much smoother driving style with sensible inputs.

Haven't yet turned off the DSC (for any significant period).

It would in my view be difficult to keep up with a well driven Scoob in the wet.

Cheers

Tang
Old 24 April 2003, 02:52 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tang,

Nice one! I have to say that it's a very accomplished car. It's certainly quicker than my STI 5 was in the dry, but in the wet caution is needed. This doesn't mean that rapid progress can't be made, it just means you have to be a little more circumspect.

I've had the traction light blink at me a couple of times today, because of the wet weather, but I do prefer driving without the traction control on. Sport mode is also a must in the dry.

It's certainly a bit of a sleeper though, as 99% of the population have no idea what it is, apart from a BMW 5 series. Another plus side is sub £1k insurance, even parked on the drive. Also, servicing costs are less than a UK STI or WRX, so that can't be bad.

My average fuel consumption is 23mpg and cruising on the autobahn at the weekend anywhere between 90 and 120 mph, 4 up with luggage and air con running it returned 24.5! What a car!

Matt
Old 24 April 2003, 02:54 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Question

M5 is an awesome beast. Have you taken yours to the Nurburgring yet for a thrashing?

Does anyone know whether there are any problems with the older examples yet? I am considering a "Top Marques" auction to buy a cheap leggy example.
Old 24 April 2003, 03:36 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nacro,

Mine was at the Ring over Easter. It did have a little bit of a thrashing, but nothing too serious! LOL

Matt
Old 24 April 2003, 05:30 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

Matt,
anychance of getting a pic or 2 of the brake duct mod?
cheers

Tin
Old 25 April 2003, 11:15 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Hi Tim,

Will try to but I'll have to borrow a digital camera off someone first! God I'm backward! Anyway, you have to remove the front wheel arch liner and dremmel/hacksaw part of it out. The you simply drill some holes in the front mesh area under the numberplate. This then feeds cold air back to the brakes. There is also an additional duct that you can buy from BMW themselves to help further. There is a link for this, and can be found here:

http://www.bmwm5.com/greg/brake_ducts/

I basically followed this method apart from buying the extra ducts. Braking is improved, but I have also fitted braided hoses all round.

Cheers
Matt
Old 25 April 2003, 11:27 AM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Nice one.

Where did you get the headlight upgrade done?

Cheers

Tang
Old 25 April 2003, 12:40 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt, will check it out.. if your in the west london area, u can borrow me camera if u want oh its TIN not TIM no worries, every1 does it

Tang, I also did the headlight upgrade too.. (got the lights from another m5 owner at a M power meet in March).. fitted them myself, pretty easy, once you know..

4 bolts in total, holding the headlight in, 2 ontop, and 2 further down at the back, one either side.. (I'll find a link to the HELLA instructions you get with the lights)..

Got some quotes from the dealers, lowest was around 650'ish all fitted etc..

I'm going to get the rears done too, been quoted 320'ish..but going to wait awhile..till the funds allow

here's a taster.. will try and get some outside shots, once its all gleaming

Cheers

Tin
Old 25 April 2003, 12:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

BEAST!
Old 25 April 2003, 12:44 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tin will wait for more info - keen to do it myself - presumably we are talking Xenon replacements?

Still remember the first time I opened the bonnet on mine, the old Scoob was an effective lump but pig ugly, especially compared with this work of art. An absolute humdinger.

Still love checking the oil....

Tang
Old 25 April 2003, 01:55 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

cool, no probs, also check out BMWTips

loadsa info on there on just about everything , checkout the light section in particular though

if you need any help, I can help ya fit them if u want..
the 4 bolts that hold the lights, on mine where starting to rust..so i replaced them all, they come in a 10pk for £1.20 from ya local dealer.. definately worth getting new ones..

looking at that engine.. 2 air filters..heheh means two induction kits hmm...nice