Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Please HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2003, 11:14 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

MODS, could this be left here for a while for some exposure.

My girlfriend has a Ford Ka that she has owned from new, purchased approx July/August 1999. It has a full Ford service history and has covered only 15,500 miles. I had the car last serviced on December 17th 2002 and only 1800 miles ago.

Yesterday afternoon, she called me to say she had broken down and that the police were present and towed the car to a safe location (off the dual carriageway). I then met up with her and tried the car myself. The car started but sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, very lumpy tickover and power loss.

I called the RAC out and the engineer agreed it sounded like a cyliner was missing. He ran the car whilst disconnecting each HT lead in turn to identify the cylinder. He also though there maybe a compression problem on one of the cylinders. After indentifying the cylinder he removed the spark plug and I was utterly gobsmacked to see that the core and 'J' tip had melted/disappeared, probably into the cylinder He then removed the next plug inline and it was the same .

He towed the car home for me until I can book it in to the servicing dealer for them to look at it.

I am furious at this prediciment and strongly beleive that there is noithing I could have done to prevent this. I now suspect an engine rebuild and extreme cost, that we cannot really afford. Ridiculous on such a low mileage car!

What would people here advise I do and where do I stand legally on this issue? Probably not a good outlook.
Do I take the car to the last servicing dealer?

Please, any constructive advice would be very gratefully recieved.

I will never buy a Ford again!!

[Edited by PaulMc - 3/23/2003 11:27:20 AM]
Old 23 March 2003, 01:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Try putting some new plugs in and fire it up... The Xflow engines are wittled out of cast iron, they're stronger than tanks!

Obviously if it's making funny noises etc switch it off and take it to your garage. I find it highly unlikely that they'll just stump up the whole bill but they might come to some discount agreement. Make notes of when you ring up, who you speak and and what is said.
Old 23 March 2003, 02:29 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bob, your advice is appreciated. Don't you work on Fords? I will try your suggestion, but may get the dealer to perform this task first. The RAC will take it there for free so i have nothing to lose.

What attidtude can I expect from the dealer. Will they deny any blame etc?
Old 23 March 2003, 02:34 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's out of Warrentee, i don't think you'll get much out of them. Regardless of milage and when it was last serviced, it is still over three and a half years old
Old 23 March 2003, 04:39 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

In some occassions the dealer might as stated above do some sort of percentage discount as a good will gesture as they've been servicing it. Personally I've never heard of that happening before..either way keep posting as I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Nath
Old 23 March 2003, 04:53 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks all. I suspect that the dealer too will not fight for my case. If it proves to be a pricey fix, I will fight for a good will gesture or I will seek legal help from Which? or the guy in Auto Express.
Regardless, an engine should last longer than 15k miles with recommended servicing intervals. There were no indicators as to a problem, no warning lights, high temps, noise etc.

Nat, I will keep you posted.
Old 23 March 2003, 05:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I did work for Ford (in the bodyshop), about 15 months ago...it never ceases to amaze me what people remember about me

Your engine should do more than 15K no worries at all, it sounds daft but doing so little mileage won't help it though. If you look at main dealer service sheets it often mentions "servre(SP?) driving conditions". Limited mileage often comes under this, as a result you may find the plug change interval is different? If this is the case it may explain why yours have failed.

Alternatively, it may of been serviced correctly and it's the plugs that have failed, in which case it may be worth chasing the plug manafacturer.

I think the best advice I could offer is to NOT go in shouting and screaming, don't accuse them of making mistakes etc, this will only upest them and make them go on the defensive, be nice and polite, get them on your side... then turn up the heat if you don't get any results!

Bob

PS, no noise from a X flow, that'll be a first

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2003, 05:43 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

I agree with your comments Bob and will be Mr Nice....To start with
Old 27 March 2003, 01:28 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Update...

The car was taken to the dealer by the RAC 13:00 on Monday. After many calls and no return calls the dealer actually managed to create a service card on Tuesday night and informed me the car would be looked at Weds am. I asked for progress reports and was assured I would get them.
No calls! When I called them no answer or noone knew anything about the car.
Me, still trying to stay calm and not go 'all out' at them!

Got a call an hr ago from the service dept saying the car is ready for collection. I was surprised to say the least and asked what was the problem, to which they replied "melted plugs".
Yep, I know that but what was the cause?
"Melted plugs and head damage, all repaired now".
Again, what caused it?
"Wrong plugs put in car at last service"!
me, ok thanks I can't pick up the car 'til tomorrow.
"No problem sir"

Should I try for some form of compensation?
Do you think it reasonable that I ask for a free service next time around or equivalent?

The dealer has sorted the problem out, and all credit to them for admitting and rectifying their mistake. However, it has bneen a nightmare getting to talk to someone and now progress reports. It's not the first time I have had problems with the car and tried 3 different dealers all the same attitude.

I am sorry to say that I would never buy a Ford again and could not recommend one to any friends.

[Edited by PaulMc - 3/27/2003 3:11:08 PM]
Old 27 March 2003, 01:44 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> So, know I can get some form of compensation.

err, compensation for what? What is damaged that you want to compensate for?

greg
Old 27 March 2003, 03:09 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Week without a car, hire car cost, inconvenience?
Old 27 March 2003, 04:07 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Don't now much about Fords but is it possible that you have damaged the engines when the plugs melted?
OK so they have put in new plugs and everything seems ok, but what if the engine goes in 500 miles time due to damaged caused by the original incorect plugs!
I would mention this too them and try and get some sort of guarentee that no further damage has been caused by the incorrect plugs.
You'll probably end up banging you head against a brick wall but worth a try.
Old 27 March 2003, 05:58 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Week without a car, hire car cost, inconvenience?

Fair points then, points 1 & 2 are more likely to get you something IMHO

greg
Old 27 March 2003, 06:15 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I would put all this down in writing and send it to Ford customer services and see how they reply.