Sponsored by:

Old style WRX vs STI vs RA

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2002, 08:20 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...
About to buy my first Scoob, and not sure weather to choose an RA (have tried it...goes like stink, but worried about the gearing) or a straiaght WRX or a WRX STI. whats the difference between the latter two? (96-98 MY) All replies greatfully recieved.

GG
Old 03 October 2002, 08:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try finding a STi4 type RA V-Ltd which is best of all worlds (has the first 4 gears of a type RA and the 5th is the longer STi gearing, rare but worth it )
The WRX doesnt have the same type of internals/head as the STi (which is the daddy of scoobs ) the type RA will come in 2 versions, an STi version and a WRX version, the STi version is higher revving (up to 8250rpm) and as ive said, has a better engine over the WRX.
Hope this helps a little

Tony
Old 03 October 2002, 08:53 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Thanks...That helps a bit
Old 03 October 2002, 10:08 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stis also have better brakes, firmer suspension, better looks and plusher interior.

Mike
Old 04 October 2002, 09:24 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Stis also have better brakes, firmer suspension, better looks and plusher interior.
My cars an non STI but :

I have MY00 4 pots with upgraded pads and braided hoses does the STI get something different ?

Firmer Suspension my RA came with pink STI stuff

Better looks, mien has an STI 4 spoiler which just bigger enough as coffee tables go

Plushser interior LOL, I have limited edition SWRT blue alcantara seats, blue centre console, white dials with a blue surround and ally pedals, works for me

Cheers

ChrisP
Old 04 October 2002, 10:36 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Your's is obviously a bit of an exception Chris, but model year for model year, generally, as a rule of thumb etc, etc.......I'M RIGHT!!! LOL
Old 04 October 2002, 01:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

It is one of the last of the classics a special WRC-Ltd edition model
Old 04 October 2002, 04:00 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

tony, you seem to be under the illusion that all type ra v lims have john felsteads gearing. they dont.

Most have type r gearing which has a 19.8/1000rpm fifth with a 4.44 final drive.

Johns is a rarity. Have been informed of other cars like his, but it certainly is not characteristic of the model.

Moray's version 3 sti type ra v limited for example has normal sti gearing which has a 21.8 fifth gear.

To my knowledge mellow yellows car had a different fifth gear from johns when they compared them side by side.

With these models many things could be stipulated from the factory so dont expect any two to be the same.

eg. mellows had certification saying it had a closed deck block. Not sure the same could be said for johns.