Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FAO : Gary C

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 12:12 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC you have an ML430 ???

If so, how do you find it, powerful enough? how thirsty?

potentially buying a 2000 model with all the bits and 15k miles from MB dealer.

Would be used to tow a caterham, so needs to have some go, and i cant test drive it till next week!

Cheers

Dean

Old 17 January 2003, 12:41 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Yes - I have had it for 3 months. Love it.

It is quick, not impreza quick, but certainly BMW 328i quick (as my neighbour found out last night ). 290bhp and a fraction over 2-tonnes gives it 140-145bhp/tonne which is more than most hot-hatches (CTR/RS/et al excepted), and with AWD and massive low down torque from a big capacity V8 it leaps of the line like a (very large) scolded cat. Autobox suits it perfectly, although to get max mid-range performance you do need to use the manual gate.

Fuel consumption is good for a AWD, 2-tonne, 4.3l V8. I get 350 miles per 70-litre tank (a tankful costs c£50). To contrast I used to average c300/320 miles out of a £50 tankful in the Impreza - albeit running SUL. That gives it 23/25mpg, which for what it is is pretty phenominal. Granted I do a lot of motorway mileage which helps. Don't beleive the onboard computer MPG readings. Mine says I average 17mpg, yet get 350 miles out of 70 litres?? Under full throttle it drops to 2mpg

Other plus sides, the driving position is great, electric seats mean they are infinitely adjustable. The ride is brilliant and the driving view is superb and makes driving so much more relaxing being higher up. Car is fully loaded, electric everything, leather/wood everywhere. Bags of space - I recently took 6 of us with weekend gear AND golf bags on a 2 hour trip perfectly easily and comfortably. The V8 exhaust note is great especially above 4000rpm

Down sides? not many. The engine is designed to use oil. Mine gets through a litre every 2-3000 miles, but it does mean the service intervals continually extend, and (currently) mine will go 14000miles from last service to next! Wind noise is more noticeable above *ahem* 85/90mph (on the autobahn ) than in the BMW, and it doesn't have headlamp washers.

Only taken it moderatly off-road and it was great. Electronic Low Range box coped with a hilly muddy field with no problem.

Have't towed the Westie with it yet (no towbar..yet), but with such a torquey powerful engine and a minimal difference in kerb when towing a 400kg car, it should make it an ideal tow-car.

The 430 is a lot better built than the 320/270, and I have no problems with the build quality on mine at all, it is near enough as good as the BMW as a league ahead of the Impreza.

They are colour sensitive, dark blue/black/silver look good, green is ok. Only came in two interior colours IIRC, the dark grey is the one to go for, the biscuit colour is awful. The Privacy glass is a must regardless

Can't think of anything else? but do ask anything particular you want to know. I am as happy as larry with the car. It is the best car I have owned (not to say I don't still miss the scoob ...until I get in the westie ).

I'm the the North West if you want a look/go.
Old 17 January 2003, 12:58 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Thats great, cheers mate

Not overly fussed about the speed as an R300 is on the way
just after a nice comfy pratical second car, sounds like it fits the bill perfectly. the one im looking at is Azurite blue, with the grey leather, so sounds like a nice enough combo.
has the lux and family packs, 16k miles and they want 23,950 for it, which i thought sounds pretty resonable compared to the other cars on the website.

Thanks again
Old 18 January 2003, 08:10 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good deal if from a main dealer. £16,000 miles for a merc V8 is hardly run-in

Mine was 2.5 years old, 25k on the clock and £23,750 incl the fitting of privacy glass from main MB dealer (means it has a full 12 mth MB warranty and support). If it's from a non-main dealer I'd try for a little less.

All 430 have the 'lux' pack, but the family pack is a worthy addition if you have kids - adds two sideways facing seats in the boot.

Enjoy - I am