Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

300ZX NA. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 01:28 PM
BBSparkys_Cupra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im after info about the 300zx non turbo manual. Was looking at the turbo to replace my cupra but insurance is more than i want to pay. Found out i can get the non turbo for £200 less than i pay now! What im after is any kind of info poss on them ( 0-60, bhp mpg etc ) so that i can figure out if its worth changing or not.

Cheers
Old 15 January 2003, 06:21 PM
Steve Clements
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had one of these a few years ago. Mine was the 2 seater short wheelbase version. Power is about 225 bhp as standard, 0-60 time is around 6.5 to 7 secs. Mpg is about 18-20 around town with high 20's on a run.

The 3.0 litre V6 sounds great with a decent exhaust. Handles pretty well (although not as nimble as a Scoob!). Can be tuned to about 250 bhp quite easily, but will go up to about 300 bhp I think (although if you want that sort of power you'd probably be better off going for a twin-turbo in the first place).

Parts were easy to get hold of and my local Nissan main dealer were happy to supply parts for it even though it was an import.

I'd definitely consider another one.

Steve

Old 15 January 2003, 10:16 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

You might wanna check the insurance on the non-turbo too. I've heard it's not that much cheaper then the twin turbo version. If you get an import you're still gonna get hammered for it anyway.

As for the car's themselves, they handle great (some say better than the turbo), still very quick for an N/A. The 2+2's are supposed to be more stable at speed but the 2 seater is more nimble.

The interior is a bit dated looking these days but still a lot better than a scoob. Hold out for a leather interior cuz the tweed version is nasty.

If you plan on modding it to get the power up you'd be as well buying the turbo as it'll cost you a lot more that the insurance difference to get an N/A to put out the 300bhp of the TT version.

check out the 300zx BBS for some folk who know their Z's.
Old 16 January 2003, 09:24 AM
BBSparkys_Cupra
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Just a case of tracking one down to test drive now! can find TT autos everywhere but NA manuals seem harder to find Was hoping to find one with leather and targa. As for the power, not that fussed about tuning as the standard power would be a nice jump for me anyway. Got an insurance quote and it was just under 600 for the NA but nearly double that for the TT. As nice as it would be to get the turbo i like and need my licence and think i would loose it with that much more power. Once again, thanks for your help

Marc
Old 16 January 2003, 01:59 PM
Konrad
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

You might well have trouble finding one with leather 'cause neither the 2 seaters nor the non turbo versions were ever imported by the dealers which means you need an import and very few of the Jap ones come with leather.

You could always retrim it in leather, or get some seats out of a uk model ?
Old 17 January 2003, 12:23 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Dunno how close you are to them but there's one for sale in Bradford at quintons

I had a look at it myself but it's a Turbo one i'm looking for. It's a red K plate, spotless, 60k on the clock. It's now advertised at 9K for some bizarre reason, it was only 7k a few weeks ago. Probably worth about 6k. Would do you for a test drive though.
Old 17 January 2003, 09:53 AM
BBSparkys_Cupra
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help guys. much appreciated. Bradfords a bit far im afraid but i will keep looking. Im in no rush as im more than happy to wait for the right car to come up.

Cheers