Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 12:57 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Supra Twin Turbo, I just love those sleek looks, which is the best to get? Are they really *that* good? Are they going to give me muchos smiles per mile?

If you don't think they're any good, what's in the same sort of class of performance but better in your opinion? (Without me spending loads of my hard earned wonga).

Ando
Old 15 January 2003, 01:34 PM
Hugh_de_Payen
Scooby Newbie

I love the TT Supra too and was very close to buying one before the Evo came along.

The imports are supposed to chuck out slightly more power than the ones officially sold here.

Possible contenders? I'd have to say the the 300ZX, whilst not quite up to the Supra's standard IMHO, might be a close contender.
Old 15 January 2003, 01:45 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Well, I'd rather the UK one for the cheaper insurance. The 300's are nice yeah, but I feel they need a body kit to look "bling bling", also, my friend's cousin had one and reckoned it was crap because he lost it in the corners, personally, I think he was just a crap driver!

I was also considering a Scooby, but I don't know...I love the lines of the Supra loads
Old 16 January 2003, 09:18 AM
FRP
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure the imports are 280bhp and the UK ones are around 320bhp, plus the imports have smaller brakes and no bonnet vent.

Get a UK car if you can find one.
Old 16 January 2003, 11:02 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

The UK car comes with 17" Alloy's, Bonnet vent and headlamp washers! The inports had 16" alloys and no vent or washers! The power is exactly the same the only differance is due to the fuel you use!
Power using 100ron fuel is 321 at the fly wheel, I raised the boost slightly on my old import and have it tested to 370bhp at the flywheel....she was amazingly quick, had it over 180 mph once!

I would get a UK car as for a change they were better spec'ed!

Dom.

Old 16 January 2003, 12:30 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Talking

A Supra's performance is miles better than any Scooby or EVO even in modded form...

My mate has a UK '96 6-Speed Manual one and I have to say I sh*t myself everytime he approaches a junction. Those brake are outstanding and the best in it's class. Standard that is.

Get yourself on the mkiv Supra.net and have a chat with the boyz on there who are mostly freindly like on here.

Cheers

RickyD
Old 16 January 2003, 01:54 PM
Konrad
Scooby Newbie

Wink

The 300ZX is only slower in stock form because they honoured that daft Jap 'gentleman's agreement' to restrict all their cars to 280 bhp. They acheived this by slapping on massively restrictive cats and exhausts. Replace those with just about any aftermarket items and you're back to the 320-330bhp it was designed with, matching the Supra; and knocking it dead for looks !
Old 16 January 2003, 01:55 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Evo Magazine did a few features recently on this kind of car..

I think there was the Nissan 300ZX, Mazda RX-7... the latest issue covers the Lotus Esprit too... Worth a look mate !!

Saw one in Blackpool last summer that I could have fit my head in the exhaust of... plain silly if you ask me
Old 16 January 2003, 02:09 PM
Konrad
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Most cars looks daft with huge bore exhausts !

You don't need large bore exhausts to release the power though - same size as the standard ones, but without all the baffles, does the trick nicely !

All for a lot less wonga than the Supra too !
Old 17 January 2003, 08:55 AM
FRP
Scooby Regular

dominicm: Imports only have 280bhp, check out the mkivsupra site to confirm your error.

Konrad: and knocking it dead for looks your having a laugh, unless you dress like Michael Night and call your car kit
Old 17 January 2003, 08:58 AM
I_dont_giveafvk
Scooby Regular

bit of a drug dealer image though id have one though as I dont give a fvck what people think in the nicest possible way
Old 17 January 2003, 03:15 PM
Middle_Man
Scooby Newbie

Cool

[q] my friend's cousin had one and reckoned it was crap because he lost it in the corners [q]

My mates 300 handles like its on rails!!! Superb handling!!!

Even better if you lower it another inch
Old 17 January 2003, 04:10 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

imports have smaller turbos, no bonnet vent and cloth interior.

uks have bigger turbos and leather as standard.
Old 17 January 2003, 08:07 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Wrong - the imports have the bigger turbo. UK turbos are steel-bladed as opposed to ceramic, and therefore laggier (but able to take higher boost). UK's have bigger injectors, and the large brakes were an option on imports.

There is *bugger all* real-world performance difference between a UK and an import, with the exception of the brakes, and that's sorted easily enough. Imports are better for light mods, UK's better for medium, and it doesn't matter which you use for heavy mods.

Imports are lighter, UK's are better specced. *Everything* you see availble on the UK was an option that may be on an import with the exception of: heated seats, bonnet vent, headlight washer jets, diff oil cooler.

Aerotops are import only

*All* RHD aerotops are autos.

Imports make more torque low down, UK's make more power up top. It evens out.

There is bugger all real-world performance difference between the auto and the manual. Do not confuse the auto boxes in these cars with the POS usually found in a repmobile or something. The auto boxes are utterly superb, and are a genuine alternative to the manual. Try one - you will be suprised.

Imports are available both younger and with less mileage (often much less) than the vast majority of UK's (UK's stopped production in 96). UK's are half the amount to insure, but will cost thousands more than for an equal age/mileage import.

Anything else?

Dom, that you off the Supra board?
Old 19 January 2003, 09:40 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Smile

My mate has offered me his UK Impreza turbo, I'm tempted, if I get it I can afford to get my other car done up, new engine paint job etc. Yay! Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 20 January 2003, 06:27 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Talking

See this months japanese performance magazine supra's compare more to skylines than the old 300zx. Uk spec I read everywhere is the one you want, do cost more though. Have fun!
Old 04 February 2003, 11:22 AM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

just buy my rx7 mate, and u can give all the supras a run for their money!!!

mail me if interested