Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

I am getting the run-around and I'm not amused...

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2003, 10:33 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Yesterday coming back from Lincolnshire, on the M25 doing over 70 in the middle lane... the car (a brand new just 1k on clock X-Type) completely lost power... thankfully we managed to get to the hard shoulder incident free and limped onto the M3 to try to get home.... after several minutes Paul switched off the engine and waited and restarted it.... and thankfully she worked and we got home... and she's working fine today... but who's to say it won't happen again, I am now extremely nervous.

I have been on the phone to the dealer who tell me to ring breakdown who tell me to ring the dealer who tell me to ring break down who tell me to ring the dealer - circle of calls now in limbo.

I think it has something to do with the cruise control which Paul switched off just before we lost power... anyone got any ideas, the transmission failure light on the dash came on so.... at the moment I am getting very angry as the dealer is just scratching his head going 'mmmm yeah... strange.... mmmm' but if anyone knows what it might be I can go back and say it's XYZ Fix it..
Thanks
P
Old 02 January 2003, 10:45 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

It's not a breakdown if you got home, and it's OK now, so I can see where the breakdown people are coming from. Surely all they'd do is get the car to the dealer anyhow?

If a light came on then presuambly the ECU has logged a fault code which a dealer can read and try to diagnose the problem. Again the warranty is serviced by the dealer, so yet again the ball is in their court. Sounds like you maybe need to find a new dealer who understands their job goes further than just taking your money and giving you a car...

Fen
Old 02 January 2003, 10:58 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Fen
Yes I do understand where the breakdown people are coming from... it's the dealer who seems to be having the problem understanding that... when all they can say is.... we haven't got a courtesy car to give you.... which seems all they are worried about.

However they have just rung me again, and Fen, thank you I was able to use the information you put above about the ECU and they should be able to track it through their Diagnostic system... Service Manager extremely impressed... car goes in on Saturday.

Ha! result.
Thanks Fen
P
Old 02 January 2003, 11:40 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

And if they haven't got a courtesy car, having spent all that wonga with them, they should at least let you use a demonstrator model for your inconvenience [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02 January 2003, 11:45 AM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

The ECU check should be a quick while you wait job but it then depends what they find (if anything). If possible ask them to let you see the job being done, that way you will have an idea of what the ECU said and not what they told you the ECU said.

They should make provision for you to borrow a car be it a demonstrator or even a forcourt car - something to keep you on the road.
Old 02 January 2003, 01:26 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Wink

Black Cat

<tongue in cheek>
If it took a customer to tell the Service Manager that they should try checking the ECU for a fault then may I suggest that you:

- find out where the ECU is located
- how the dealers equipment plugs into it
- the error codes that come out of the ECU
- how to fix the problem based on the error code

So that when the car goes in on Saturday you can assist the Service Manager and his Staff to diagnose the problem
</tongue in cheek>

Old 02 January 2003, 01:35 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've seen a couple of broken-down X-types at the side of the road... interesting
Old 02 January 2003, 01:57 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Contact my Dad!
Old 02 January 2003, 02:25 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it entered limp home mode after it found a fault, had this on a brand new Audi 100 many years back, in the end Audi had it for 3 months and replaced the whole electrics as they couldnt isolate it, i reckon diagnostic equipment is better now so the dealer should find the faulty sensor etc...

Jon.
Old 02 January 2003, 03:02 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Nigel
I like it... made me laugh... and yes I will watch them on Saturday.

Tim
Thanks but I really couldn't take advantage of your father like that, he has already been very kind.

I'm sure they will get it sorted on Saturday, I'm still convinced it has something to do with the Cruise control as it was switched off just before the power failure... some crossed wires.

P
Old 02 January 2003, 03:38 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

This may sound funny but a guy at work had a problem with his mondeo after switching on his air con. Earthing problem and the car just stopped. If the car entered limp home mode it show be logged as a fault in the ecu I would have thought. It does sound like it found a fault and shut down.
Old 02 January 2003, 04:48 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I had a situation not that far removed from Nigel's jest at a certain Devon Subaru dealer...

Fen
Old 08 January 2003, 04:43 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I have got an Evo, no breakdown problems
Old 08 January 2003, 08:18 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have got an Evo, no breakdown problems
So just the owner breaking down to worry about
Old 08 January 2003, 09:13 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

how many breakdowns does a person need in a lifetime..... !!!!!!
just tip me over the edge.... I'll go laughing all the way......