Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

WRX v MINI v FUCUS RS

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2002, 12:20 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading Autoexpress, saying that there is a tuning package for the new Cooper-s.

Be interested in pepoles thoughts as to how this would compare to either the above.

Bear in mind that a Cooper S is 14K, and I guess the mod would be 2K, that is way cheaper than the RS, and the WRX !!

Tempting hey

Whoops, just noted the spelling on heading, but too late to change !! lol.

[Edited by ollyshorey - 12/19/2002 12:20:50 AM]
Old 19 December 2002, 12:22 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

"Tempting Eh?" Not really, depends on what you are looking for in a car.
Old 19 December 2002, 01:09 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

1 small FWD supermini, 1 medium FWD hatch and a family 4 door AWD saloon. as to why people are comparing them.

Hmmm, what shall I buy next? a 2CV or an Omega estate? your thoughts please.

[Edited by Dracoro - 12/19/2002 1:10:37 AM]
Old 19 December 2002, 08:33 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Hmm,

I see it as 3 non-normally aspirated fun motors, which would all be great to take on the track, and all with 200+ bhp (After modding)?

if thats the case, how are people comparing the Focus and WRX if they are in different classes.

That aside, anyone got any interesting, well thought views ?
Old 19 December 2002, 11:08 AM
Bondy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I did have a Mini Cooper S on Order for about 9 Months, I put my deposit down in January of this year. I cancelled the order in October because of a useless BMW Showroom messing me around, they were crap, never going near them again. I then went out and brought a MY01 Classic turbo.

I did get to take out a Cooper S for two hours though and although I did enjoy the car and probably would have been more than happy with it. But I can't see how they keep comparing them. In my view the Scooby not only looks better but is far faster and dare I say more fun to drive. Plus the fact the Mini has seats that make an annoying noise, electric power stearing that makes a really annoying buzz type noise. It has no room for passengers, a boot that can be filled up with two shopping bags. Plus it just didn't feel that quick, I was using some spirited driving on the test drive and I think most of the time I had my foot welded to to floor in the hope it would put a bigger smile on my face like the scooby no does. Oh and first gear is very high so it doesn't give a sensation of being quick from the start. To be honest I was having second thoughts after the test drive, it was just lacking something, I look at it now that the showroom did me a favour and I'm still driving round with a grin on my face. Oh and all my family and friends think I've got a far better car. I going to have to try the focus out now. I guess we just wait now for someone to say the Mini is Far better than the Subaru.
Old 19 December 2002, 11:54 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

As you may have guessed by my name, I've got a MINI Cooper S, I waited 9 months on the list and got one of the first in the country in July. I love it's neutral handling and go-kart driving feel, it just feels right, I know it aint the fastest in a straight line, but it makes up for it in fun. The 200BHP upgrade kit is due out in January from John Cooper Garages for £3500 (keeps warranty), though Superchips, Hartge and others are producing kits at half this cost (lose warranty though).

Hell knows why people keep comparing my car to Scooby's and RS Focus etc.. they're totally different cars (one's I wouldn't mess with either )

Andy
Old 20 December 2002, 04:02 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got a Cooper 'S' on order for March delivery, along with the 200bhp upgrade when available. My dealer (L&C Sevenoaks) informs me the package will be signed off in January and be available to order immediatley after for between £3,000 and £3,500.

As for the comments about if it is better than a Scooby, they never add up to much - a car is a car and as long as you enjoy it for what you bought it for you should be happy with it.

Regards

Yex - ex model '98, ex model '98 with Scoobysport mods, ex RB5WR