Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Rover 200 BRM

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2002, 11:10 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold the Scoob, missing it already !!

Just bought a 99 Rover 200 BRM from auction with 47k for 4g. Only 795 were made for the UK, I am still getting used to the Pimp red leather interior and the orange nose but I am impressed.
Its engine is the 1.8vvc K series with 143bhp with LSD etc which is fun providing you are willing to change at 7000 rpm !!. It goes well but not like a Scoob. The bit that has really got me is the handling, I have pushed it hard and its very stable, more predictable on the limit than the Scoob, possibly safer as well as the speeds are that much lower.

Anyone got one ? driven one, any views on this rare car, my plan was to keep it a few months, sell it and buy another car from the auctions but I expect I will keep it a bit longer !!

Thanks
Jason
Old 19 December 2002, 12:26 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Much under-rated the 200/25/MG ZR with the VVC engine.
Another guy on here bought a BRM for his wife 2 months back.

I got the parents a Vi 18 months ao - like you for a bargain price - and after an Impreza its still fun to drive.

Are you going to paint the orange - silver then ? !
Old 19 December 2002, 08:51 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa has recently bought one for his better half Emma, and they think its great. No doubt he'll post something up here later.
Old 19 December 2002, 09:49 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

As has Tony Booth
Old 19 December 2002, 10:13 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Sure have just got one. See here

Cracking little motor - goes real well, the interior is great Shame its got no low fuel warning light though

A nice ITG filter and 52mm ZR160 aluminium throttle body are supposed to make it even better.......

Have a look on here:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/
Old 19 December 2002, 01:11 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cracking little motors - but I must admit that the orange front air scoop and the red interior are a little harsh !!

Currently run a 200Vi on an S-plate with 42k on the clock...

I have put 17,000 miles on it with very little bother... great handling, very stable at speed, loads of grip, predictable understeer, great fuel economy(even after giving it some hammer) and still good to look at. Only downers are the lack of a low-fuel warning light(as mentioned above), no variable intermittent wiper speed, a narrow fuel filler pipe(which sometimes causes the petrol pump at the garage to click off early) and not a huge amount of room inside for a 6ft 5ins bloke.

I have surprised many people at the traffic lights over the years !! Obviously its no Scoob, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

When you consider what they are going for these days, I think they're an absolute snip !! Would recommend one to anybody for the brass. Also, because they perhaps don't have the same element of 'cool-ness' as some other hot-hatches, they aren't as nickable and you don't get loads of the Max-Power toilets driving around in them with fat pipes, blue washer-jets and No Fear stickers.

Ace

John

Old 19 December 2002, 02:09 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with my No Fear sticker then John !!!! LOL The interior is true pimp stylee, had to replace the red mats with black ones to tone it down a bit !!

Thanks guys. Just want I needed to hear as I realy didnt expect this car to be half as good as it is.
The 52mm throttle body gives no performance gains I have been told on the dyno, however it does give the impression the car is faster through increased fuelling etc. However the ITG filter does make a difference.

Guess I got a good buy then for 4k...Havent seen too many for sale so dont really know what the BRMs are worth.
Old 19 December 2002, 02:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Throttle body is questionable, though it does improve throttle response ITG

We paid 5995 at a dealer for ours, 1999 V Plate with 35k. Others, similar spec were in autotrader for 7-7.5k.

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 12/19/2002 2:15:46 PM]
Old 19 December 2002, 09:37 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

They do 0-60mph in about 7.3seconds, so not too far off a WRX in that area, in the dry at least...

Leave the orange grille as it is! Silver looks crap, Brooklands green paint, red leather, and an orange grille, stand out from the crowd Needs some 17s and a slam though...

Rich

PS - good fuel economy when hammered??? The ones I've driven haven't been, although holding them on the limiter in the first 3 gears on every gear change is bound to drink the fuel, 7200rpm, mmm
Old 21 December 2002, 11:30 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Talking

We've got one! It's always great fun to drive. Ours is dropped and has a Janspeed exhaust. Sounds great and handles like a go-kart. Still can't get used to the interior tho.......

Dave
Old 21 December 2002, 12:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave,

What suspension you got on it?
Gonna get a Powerflow custom made zorst for the missus BRM - 300 quid all in CAT back and ready in about 4 hours, you get to choose loudness/noise/tailpipe design

Cheers
Neil.
Old 23 December 2002, 08:39 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Koni adjustables It's dropped by about 30mm I think. Mynheer in Oxford did the honours for us.

Zorst is a Janspeed DTM (got it a few years ago now). Also have a K&N for added growl. The Janspeed sounds great - there is another guy who has a BRM near us who went and got one after hearing ours!

Trying to talk the missus into NO2 (it's her daily driver) but it's unlikely me thinks