Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone tried an S3?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2002, 04:35 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new motor so gonna plan some test drives.
Like the look of this one, just wondering if anyone has any experience of them.

cheers
Old 12 December 2002, 04:49 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

expensive...good...but yet disapointing in some ways??!!?!good car though very nice,but not so much a drivers car as say a scoob,or evo...each to there own though.you really have to decide yourself...drive it then decide..
Old 12 December 2002, 05:06 PM
Bal
Scooby Regular

Yep, my sister has one.
After owning a Scoob (MY00) and now an EVO 6, driving the S3 is like driving a large boulder through treacle.
On the plus sides :
you get xenon headlamps, NO SQUEKS, and a gentle ride.
lifless steering though.
nice comfy if slippy seats.

Bal
Old 12 December 2002, 05:10 PM
Bal
Scooby Regular

Yep, my sister has one.
After owning a Scoob (MY00) and now an EVO 6, driving the S3 is like driving a large boulder through treacle.
On the plus sides :
you get xenon headlamps, NO SQUEKS, and a gentle ride.
lifless steering though.
nice comfy if slippy seats.

Bal
Old 12 December 2002, 05:55 PM
scooby_xt_turbo
Scooby Regular

A family friends has one and he gave it to me for a drive.Very good car, nice interior, german reliability, nice seats, very good equipment levels. The thing is that the car felt VERY heavy for its size.Better than a TT though
Old 12 December 2002, 07:41 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Had 2, if you get one, go to MTM for a 270bhp/300lbsft upgrade, regardless of what some on here will tell you, it'll be f*ckin' quick.
Old 13 December 2002, 09:02 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yep and I hated it, one of the nastiest cars I've driven. Like most of the VW/Audi stuff it just feels numb and inert and not what I like. Its was fairly quick but not blistering but the engine sounded err did it sound ? Don't get me wrong I'm not sd pro Subaru that I think the Scoob is the be all and end all.. its not but it was just nicer the drive than the S3.

However it must be said the S3s build quality was superb with a lovely interior ( if a little dark) but leagues above Subaru s stuck in the 80s interiors.

AllanB

Old 13 December 2002, 10:30 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Seems pretty split here then. From my experience:

S3 is not as involving as Scoob to drive.

S3 IS a match for a WRX point to point.

Scoob sounds better. S3 more civilised but still sounds nice and wooshy.

S3 interior high quality - seats second to none.

Steering is nice and heavy with decent feel. I think some people who say the car has dead steering judge the car before they drive it.

Brakes superb to start with but suffer from chronic fade after a few hard stopping sessions.

Engine is a gem, very flexible and revs hard from 2000rpm through to 6800rpm.

Fuel economy is good. Car averages 30-32mpg even with a bit of hard driving.

Overall it is a fun car to own but it also has a bit of class and quality. You just have to decide whether that is on your wants list.
Old 13 December 2002, 10:34 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

hmm interesting responses - cheers thats the sort of thing I was after.
Had an evo and a fiat coupe 20v turbo previously. obviously the fiat was somewhat slower to 60/70 and less alert than the evo but after it growing on me for 18 months or so I would probably pick it of the two for the majority of my driving. It was a very very poor second on country lanes though but most of my driving isn't on these lanes - I used to have to go out of my way to use the evo to anything like its potential. The Fiat was awesome on motorways and A roads and I would take it over the evo on these roads any day.
Thought the Fiat was cr@p for a long time but it just took some time to find out how to get the best out of it, espescially after coming from an evo where you just put your foot down in any gear and you're gone. I had to revise my opinion - it must be the most underrated car ever, which was quite an appealing reason for having one on its own. No scr0tes are interested in em late at night. Standard trim ones look a bit bobbins but get the upgraded wheels / brakes etc. and they just about look ok.
I'd love to get another of the same spec ( colleage just wrote it off ) but I can only get a new motor and they aren't in production anymore.

Compared to Fiat, the Audi has similar power, same 6 speed etc. only its 4wd so that was why i was interested, and I think its a real nice looker. Guess it might get more attention from the thieving yobbos though?

I'll try one out to see how it goes but what I was after here were tales from owners, or owners' friends as these usually tell the true story.

Interesting about the comments along the lines of a less involving drive etc.
I would have definately said that about the Fiat compared to the evo for the first 6 months of ownership. But it just took time to really work out how to drive the Fiat after coming from jap instant rocket. I'd say it was probably MORE involving though after getting to grips with it.

Dunno about scoobs but could steer the evo with 1 finger regardless of speed or terrain. Which would you say is more involving? Appreciate all comments. Anyone else?

Juan

[Edited by juan - 12/13/2002 10:46:29 AM]
Old 13 December 2002, 11:55 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

can't add to this from an experience point of view (only to say i have comfortably out gunned an S3), but i wish Audi made an RS3 - i'd think i'd put my name down for one of those. and yes, i think they look quite nice too (but then i am of old school hatchback fame).

Kev
Old 13 December 2002, 12:00 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

aye now that would be nice
Old 13 December 2002, 12:16 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I was really comparing the S3 to a standard WRX. I have had the unfortunate experience of racing an Evo 6 and I had my *** handed to me on a plate!

I have raced Fiat Coupe Turbo's on A roads and if anything the Fiat has the edge from 60-100mph but the S3 will certainly out corner the Fiat.

The S3 will corner very hard but it will understeer in the wet if you push it too hard. The easy way to counter that is to lift off the throttle. The S3 responds well to that!

I have driven an MTM S3 which is about 265bhp. Now the acceleration is exceptional compared to standard - it would stay with an Evo 6 I believe.

So it depends on whether you want to mod.

Overall the S3 is a great package to own - rather than being focused on one particular thing it has a myriad of qualities that will bode well for a long term relationship!
Old 13 December 2002, 12:56 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

sounds like it could be a contender then as I'm looking for a bit of a quality quick all-rounder and 0-60 is not my absolute priority. (Evos are indeed v. v. fast. I've known nothing like it but owning the Fiat showed me that all cars (well both these anyway) have their good points and their bad points)
Thanks for your opinion.

Upgrade certainly sounds appealing.
Company car though so not sure whether it would be possible. No harm in trying should it be the chosen one though

cheers
Old 13 December 2002, 01:45 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

No probs Juan,

Mine is a company car but I am still seriously considering getting it chipped on the hush hush.