any1 ever had 1 of these little rockets
wot trouble did u ever have with it
mine dont like to tick over when cold
any1 got any ideas?
Old 09 December 2002, 09:53 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one, must be 10 yers ago. The only problem I had was a sudden turbo seizure, but it was replaced on warranty.

I fitted a BBR kit to it (bleed valve, carb jet & zorst) and it went pretty well, but nobody really modded them back then.

Fen
Old 09 December 2002, 11:16 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had one a few years back and loved it. Never had any major probs (clutch cable goes occasionally) but remember it used to be a bit grumpy when the cold weather set in. Took a bit of fiddling with the choke if I remember correctly then was fine when I got 2 mins down the road. Manual choke, carbs and a turbo - probably not the best mix for a cold morning
Old 09 December 2002, 11:57 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Had 1 about 4 years ago - 89G reg.. seemed like the clutch cable went once a week!!!!! took it blackpool (approx 100 miles away)- Overheated and head gasket went - then a few week later after repairing gasket the subframe fu**ed up...
Then raced my mate's Uno turbo and went into back of another car...!!! (driving skills have improved since then..... NOT )
nothing but a nightmare......

BUT once back on the road it was a buzz when the turbo was kicking in

hhmmm may get another now.... a bit cheaper than they were back then.... Wouldn't mine a nice Raider model a bit of cheap turbo fun really aint it....?

Raf.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:06 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Yup, I actually have 2 of the little beggars now...

Got them as "play things" for messing with and doing trackdays, hillclimbs, etc, with as they are dirt cheap and go like stink!

Here is one of them >>>

The list of mods on that one is huge....

Has a hybrid turbo (20psi), re-jetted carb, adjustable boost, dump valve, uprated Group N clutch, uprated copper cored intercooler, copper cored radiator, silicon boost hoses, Avo adjustable coilovers, strut-brace, uprated brakes, kevlar turbo heatshield, full SS exhaust, harnesses, race seat, etc... Goes like a rocket!!!

You can pick them up for peanuts now and tuning bits are dirt cheap and readily available. Doesn't take a lot to get the power up from the standard 120bhp, to 160-170bhp and you can run them all day long like this.

Standard road weight is a mere 830kg and so it doesn't take much to work out that 160-170bhp in one of these means silly power to weight ratio and hence stupidly quick acceleration.

- - - - - - - - - -

With regard to the cold tickover problem, check the mixture as it will probably want adjusting slightly and at a guess is too weak.

Timing is done automatically so nothing to adjust there, but when where the ignition components (plugs, leads, dizzy cap, etc.) last checked/changed as a weak spark could be causing the rough tickover.

Despite the myths, there aint actually a whole lot that goes wrong with the R5 GT Turbo if you look after them properly, but some people don't look after them properly, rag the @rse off them, tune them up without uprating neccessary things and wonder why they break down?!
Old 10 December 2002, 12:17 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Hey Rich D...
That is one hell of a minta.....!!
Even got genuine side stickers How rare is that nowadays....

Raf.

[Edited by RAF1 - 12/10/2002 1:12:25 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 03:45 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Yup, it's a minter and it only cost me £800!!!

Here's a shot from the back...

Basically I was after a mint/original shell but didn't care about owt else as I already had one with sound mechanicals, but the body was starting to get the dreaded metal worm. So, after much searching, I managed to find this with a blown engine and picked it up cheap.

Those pics were actually taken on the day I bought it and wasn't even a runner then, but you can tell what a good car it is. It even came with the alloys, suspension and a few other bits, so it was a great find.

I then stripped the two cars I had, get the best bits, bought some more bits and then fitted them all to the white shell.

Have done a couple of thousand miles or so in it, but I keep doing little bits & bobs to it, then I can get it into a top notch car. It's off the road now actually as it needs a front wheel bearing.

Here are some pics of me re-building it...

That is the good engine that I stripped and re-built anyway, just so it was gonna be right for a long time to come. I still have the other engine with the blown head gasket, but someone is buying that off me to re-build, along with a load of other bits I have.

I just like messing with cars and this is a nice, cheap form of fun!
Old 10 December 2002, 05:19 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

If i get another one i know who to come to if i have any probs with it (hint.. hint)

Raf.
I've had a black and a white one but really would love to get a raider one (blue)
Old 10 December 2002, 06:51 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Speak to MAD4IT on this board... he runs DD Autosport one of the leading Renault 5 Tuning firms.... they have a PE dyno'd 354 bhp Renault 5 GT Turbo

I used to have one too.... u have to mess with the choke when it is cold...

Always spent money on it.... but providing you dont run too much power then you can get some good cars out there....
Old 10 December 2002, 08:04 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Guy in stoke owns the Twin engined R5GT, in bright orange.

Fast as ****
Old 10 December 2002, 08:31 PM
BOOT
Scooby Regular

Had 3 of these in my younger days ( 10 years ago ) a d,e and f reg.The d and f reg were fine but the e reg one was a pain in the bum.I blew the bottom off the inter-cooler,cooked a piston,two head gaskets,some how the gear box selector fork broke inside the box and went through the alloy housing,replaced two turbos and a rad.It cost me a fortune then and I did most of the repairs myself.Check the mixture and the plugs- this should do the trick.These are still a very quick car,but a pain to work on.
Old 11 December 2002, 02:47 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

RAF1 -

LOL

Yeah, I know a thing or two about them...

You aint that far away either, only over in Bradford!