Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M3 owners SMG or MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 01:22 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only real way to tell is to testdrive it. However a warning: The SMG is not an auto, and it does take atleast 1 hour or so to get used to. This conclusion is reached by everyone. Make sure you get a dealer who lets you take the car out for a decent amount of time.

I have the SMG and would recommened it. Most M3 owners have opted for SMG and virtually all are very very happy with it. I find it most useful around town.

On the issue about lurching - it does lurch if you have it in a fast change mode. If you want easy changes, then set it on 2 or something. Also, as said above, if you know how to drive it you can minimise lurching by lifting off the throttle when it changes gear

People have to remember it is a manual, not a slush box so, like a manual, if you make a really fast change it will lurch. Simple.

Its a real joy to drive and gives the driving an added dimension. The throttle blips on the downchange and sounds fantastic!

I have a '02 model now, and have an '03 on order and that is an SMG too - i.e. I would, and have made the same again!

As for the comment re. the cabrios going to middle aged men: what a load of cr*p!!! Not everyone drives at 110% all the time. There is a difference between the cab/coupe but it is only when pushing the car hard - i.e. a track day. The difference is noticable but small. Think about howmuch time you spend on a track or driving the car at its limits, compared with cruising with the roof down. SImply fantastic. A good trade off in my opinion.

[Edited by Skittles - 12/1/2002 1:24:52 PM]
Old 29 November 2002, 11:50 PM
hegie
Scooby Regular

fancy an M3 should i get an SMG or a manual
Old 30 November 2002, 01:02 AM
worley
Scooby Regular

Have driven both, manual gets my vote, the 6 speed box is a delight to use, but it could be a matter of getting used to the paddles.
Old 30 November 2002, 11:39 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Manual...SMG is a gimmick and I think it is general concensus amongst m3 owners that the 6 speed box is superior.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:04 PM
roee
Scooby Regular

SMG would be faster for the average bloke, and of course nicer around town. Logically, it's clearly the better choice, but I could never get used to the idea of a computer shifting for me, I'd feel like a sad b4stard. But it's definitely nice.

Do you enjoy shifting? Do you master good shifting techniques, like heel-toeing and double clutching? If you do, get manual. Otherwise, get SMG, it will only help performance.

[Edited by roee - 11/30/2002 12:05:58 PM]
Old 30 November 2002, 01:42 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

roee,

and of course nicer around town
Not driven one then?

The two types of smg gearboxes sold are very similar. The Bosche system is fitted to the M3 and the Magneti system is fitted to the BMW330, Ferrari, Astons, Masserati and Alfa's.

Most use the gearbox from the manual but control it using electronics and actuators.

I've lived with one for ten months now, its great when going for it or driving moderatly or even on B roads. Changing gear in fast mode is a pure delight (70% throttle and over 5500rpm) with changes in 300 to 400 milli seconds and thats from the electronics lifting the power to giving you full power back. Down shifts are also great with the perfect blipped throttle gear change every time.

They are, however, crap around town as they become lurchy.

Next time your out in a manual and stuck in traffic watch how many times you will pull off then dip the clutch and coast or just potter along at tickover. Can't do either of these in a SMG. Pull off in first then lift off the throttle and you get engine breaking not coasting so you have to try and balance the throttle. Get down to tickover and the computer dips the clutch so you can't trickle along either.

Reversing is also a pain as you always need your foot on the brake to select 1st and reverse and there is a small delay.

Also get caught out sometimes when I haven't selected a gear at the lights, try and pull off and your in neutral so its foot on the brake and select first. Those behind you are left wondering why you have applied the brakes when the roads clear and lights green.

Would I have another? Yes I would but don't buy it as an alternative to an auto for city driving.

Edited to add you will not get the "feel" for an SMG box on a test drive, its a whole new driving style. I would say it takes a couple of months to master the sytem and to learn drive it smoothly.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 11/30/2002 1:46:29 PM]
Old 30 November 2002, 08:16 PM
hegie
Scooby Regular

thanks for everyones input none the wiser
Old 30 November 2002, 10:37 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Real question, coupe or cabrio ?

Has to be the coupe, M stands for motorsport and I reckon that the Coupe pulls it off, the cabrio although a nice car loses credibility in my eyes for not having a roof, it seems to be bought by middle aged men who have taken to wearing baseball caps and playing music too loud.

I think BMW are pandering to the clueless who wander in and just buy the most expensive 3 series cabrio regardless of the performance/pedigree

Old 01 December 2002, 07:44 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

The cabrio still looks limp in my opinion, posuers tool, nothing to do with how its driven.
Old 02 December 2002, 09:42 AM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

Which shape...E36 or E46.

If it is an E36 don't do it...the SMG box is s##te and everybody knows it, steer clear. Drive one and you will see.

Go for a Manual and get an AC Short Shift kit....If it is an E46 go for it as SMG 2 is meant to be pretty good.

Have never driven one mind...Hope this helps and get a Hardtop....
Old 02 December 2002, 06:45 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

I have driven the Coupe a couple of times as a mnual and as an SMGII and own a Cab SMGII

SMGII is great so is the Manual. I agree with the comments above the SMG is great once you get used to it, the hesitation in changing down between 2nd and 1st is a slight pain. The SMG box is great on the track and like more and more racing and rally cars BMW are making this the transmission for there future motorsort models

Both the Coupe and Cab are really excellent drives with very good performance, good steering and a good amount of feed back through the chassis. The Coupes a bit tighter steering is slightly better, the Cab is fractionally slower and grips a fraction less (Skid pan 0.88g to 0.91g) . But for the 4-5% you lose in outright performance the driving experience is far more intense with the roof down, it just adds an extra dimension to your driving.
Time to speed Seconds
Road and Track tested the Coupe.(US car 333bhp)
0–60 mph.......4.7
0–100 mph.......11.6
0—1320 ft (1⁄4 mile).......13.3 @ 106.8 mph (US Car 333bhp)
Raod and Track tested the Cab.
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 12.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 22.8 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.8 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.7 sec @ 104 mph
Top Gear Cab TEST Sept 2001.
Top Gear M3 Cab test