Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

TVR Cerbera

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2002, 08:39 AM
markys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Does anyone have experience of these, 4.5 especially. Running cost, problems etc.
Old 05 November 2002, 09:16 AM
TomM
Scooby Regular

You will need to budget at least £3k a year running costs to cover repairs etc etc, obviously it will drink like a bitch and insurance wont be cheap - but at the end of the day who cares!!!

As has been said a few times on here, if your in a position where you can have one, regardless of the time period you have it for - GET IT!!!!, Ive never driven one but Ive never heard a bad word about them, most owners Ive met just give a rye smile and that says it all!!

Tyre shredding masses of Bhp and quicker to 60 that most exotica with looks and that noise!!!!......oh yes!!

Get one, get one, get one, get one, get one.
Old 05 November 2002, 10:33 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If it's your everyday car and you do anywhere near average miles i personally wouldn't get one. I had a griff 500 and it was a money magnet. I always wanted one and had it for about 8 months. It cost me a lot more than 3k in bills in that time.

I definately wouldn't get another unless it was a weekend toy. Every time I went out in it I was scared I wouldn't get home. Ended up not enjoying the experience.

Can give examples of problems I had if you want them

cheers

Paul
Old 05 November 2002, 11:14 AM
markys
Scooby Regular

If you could medders.
Old 05 November 2002, 11:31 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Cerbera's do have the TVR engine, so may be more reliable (before I start )

Crank shaft siezed
Cam lobe fell off
engine cooling fans blew every few weeks.
I had 5 speedo's (then gave up)
body cracked around drivers door catch.
Didn't keep the car in a garage (renting a flat !) When it rained I had a stream running down the cable duct under the drivers seat flowing front to back.
Door release catches worked sometimes.

Also my dealer was a robbing c*ck who would sell his own grandmother

If I can think of more I'll post

cheers

Paul
Old 05 November 2002, 11:35 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, lost all lights twice
Old 05 November 2002, 11:39 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

Also my dealer was a robbing c*ck who would sell his own grandmother
LMFAO! isn't that libellous?!!

TVRs aren't much more than expensive kit cars...
Old 05 November 2002, 11:49 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Wink

If I'd named him it would be
Old 05 November 2002, 11:52 AM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Thats all part of owning a TVR, everyone knows that they are unreliable!. As a weekend car I would put up with all that for a Cerbera!!
Old 05 November 2002, 12:06 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

You may say that, after waiting for 3 hours for the AA for the fifth time I bet you'd change your mind.

Unreliability is expected. i think my list is rather extreme. I went into ownership expecting some problems. I got more than I expected.

You wouldn't buy a top of the range TV that had that many problems. Why should we be expected to puit up with it from a car?

And they aren't "that" good anyway Tom.

Nice in a straight line in the dry. Try and do any speed round a bend in the wet
Old 05 November 2002, 12:16 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I know about waiting in TVRs, I spent 2 hours in Picadilly Circus outside in a broken down Grif 500, it had 800 miles on the clock and was 3 weeks old. Overheated in traffic as the fan just tried to cope but gave up, a funny smell of fish and lots of steam later and the car was stranded - Saturday afternoon, tourists taking picutres, not a good day.

The car belonged to my old boss who was heartbroken and sold it a month later when the same thing happend, he got fed up of not being able to trust the car, he was scared to take it out of Richmond!

And I have to say that that car (when it worked) was THAT good, the acceleration and overall feel of the car was awesome, simply breathtaking!, we went sideways a fair few times and the noise is just unbeatable! As far as car memories go that is right up there with the 355 I was a passenger in, but the Grif had the roof off! (which is also an unbeliveably hard job, the panel only fits in the boot with mm's to spare!!)

I hear that the newer Cerbera are much more relaible, infact isnt that the case with the newer TVRs full stop?, Ive heard that the Tuscans suffer with reliability problems??

One thing that is a bit off putting was the build quality, the dash could be pushed by hand an entire inch backwards into the car, and the swtichgear felt ill-fitted, all the big chunky TVR chrome bits were fine but normal switched and general build was poor, there were even slight inconsistancies inthe paint on this Grif, and it was brand new!

All in all I think you have to be a true fan to run one, I would but only as a weekend toy, I couldnt put up with the sly remarks from Transit drivers as they go past you - broken down again!

Oh, and also, the interior of the Cerbera is awesome!!!

Old 05 November 2002, 12:20 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Quote Medders : Try and do any speed round a bend in the wet

Try and do that in any handbuild rwd 5ltr sports car in the wet with no drivers aids, it isnt just a TVR trait!

Old 05 November 2002, 12:55 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

I agree with what you say Tom, but you are (as you say) describing a weekend toy, and I am describing my everyday experiences.

I'm an iT consultant (not rich by any means), wasn't married and didn't have a mortgage and the amount of money i was piling into the car made me dislike it even more.

Beleive it or not you get used to the straight line performance.
My grin went some months into ownership and it then became a chore.
Swapped it for a scoob and I've never looked back.

I wanted one soooo much and I bought one. I've been there and done it.

Got it out of my system. if you feel like that then buy one.

Just sharing my experiences so that others may learn how much it *could* cost to run a tiv.

Old 05 November 2002, 01:06 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Markys,

Try www.pistonhead.co.uk, and go to Gassing, a forum covering lots of chat about cars and has a TVR section.

I'm on my 4th TVR now, but have never owned a Cerebera. List was S3, 350i, Chimaera and now Griffith, with over 70K miles between them all.

Remember that each model of TVR has its own problems, for instance the Rover/TVR Power V8 can suffer from heating issues, where as the new AJP engines normally do not. Regular tappet adjustment on the Cerebera is a must, on others model it is rare until later mileage ... and on and on

As for unreliable it is possible, but i've only broken down once in my many years. I have however suffered various problems enroute but the car always got me home. My advice is to learn about the car in detail before you buy then in deeprr detail if you own it..

They are truly an awesome machine..

J
Cerebera is a must
Old 05 November 2002, 01:27 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

As I understand it (for the Rover V8 engined ones) TVR did a direct transplant of the wiring loom from Rover and it couldn't cope with a highly tuned tuned engine and next to no 'stationary' ventilation. They ran a double fan unit on the rad but used the standard wiring (designed to run one) which kept on blowing the fan relay/fuse and associated bits and pieces. This was the main root of the reliability issues. If the loom is upgraded to a higher ampage and the wiring to the fans is split to run as 2 fans (so you have a back up should one fail) most of the problems go. Still doesn't solve the bad build quality, leaks etc etc.

The newer cerberas and tuscans are an improvement in quality but as for that V8 burble......
Old 05 November 2002, 01:39 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying Medders, and I certainly know what its like piling money into a car week after week!

As you say though, its something we all have to get out of our systems!, expensive or not!!
Old 05 November 2002, 03:34 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

my mate has a newish cerb, it takes him half an hour to lock and un-lock the damned thing.

We watch him from the pub waving his remote around like basil fawlty
Old 05 November 2002, 05:47 PM
BCA
Scooby Regular

Angry

In my experience with a 4.5 cerb (2yrs 30,000miles) It hasnt been that unreliable and isnt too expensive (for a supercar) to run. Keep your eyes open and you should be fine. Its all about finding a decent one and getting a decent dealer to service it. We use Joolz (www.joospeed.co.uk) I recommend him to all, he has saved us vast sums of money and made Cerbera ownership extremely enjoyable.

See POC's thread on what next for more info.

What would scooby do - tell your mate to change the battery in his keyfob, or get it looked at. Get him in touch with joolz if he wants work on his car carried out properly.

For those who havent had a cerbera and who have only heard rumours and thier mates owners tales please dont bad mouth them until you try them. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. I appretiate there are a fair few utter dogs out there, but not every car is like that - Tom sounds like hes had a bad one.

The cerb wont corner like a scooby, its a powerful light rear wheel drive car. But it is a wild ride and a helluvalot of fun trying to learn to corner on or near the limit. Scoobies are lovely cars, Im by no means suggesting the cerbera is a better car all round, they are two different cars, both an absolute hoot in thier own way. After all, I wouldnt be on scoobynet if I didnt have any interest in them :-)

Enjoy your cars people.
Old 05 November 2002, 05:49 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

It was Medders who had the bad one, and my boss had the dodgy Grif but me, I want a Cerb all day!!!!

Old 05 November 2002, 05:50 PM
BCA
Scooby Regular

* edit the above - tomM didnt own a TVR, but had a bad experience with a griffith, unlucky mate. mis read the first time :-)

Ben CA
*will have a P1 someday...*
Old 06 November 2002, 09:00 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Great value at the moment especially since all that depriciation has been taken by someone else.........................

Cerebera's as low as £19K
Tuscans down to £25K

Best advice from above is to get a good car to start with then form a relationship with a garage that knows their cars. I use SHG, however many people have song the praises of Joospeed.....

The Griff I picked up is 1996 P, with 11K miles and is immaculate, plus some decent mods to bring it back to near supercar touching performance.

J
Old 06 November 2002, 11:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine bought a Tuscan - bloody rear window flew out on the motorway
Old 06 November 2002, 12:34 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Cerebera's as low as £19K
I have seen some (with around 50k on the clock ) for as low as £16k.
Old 06 November 2002, 12:36 PM
hugebeef
Scooby Regular

It's nearly Christmas, so...

Old 06 November 2002, 01:13 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

oh we are funny.......

J
Old 06 November 2002, 05:39 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone know where to download the video where Clarkson tested the Cerbera against other exotica?
Old 06 November 2002, 05:41 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's often on UK Horizons!
Old 06 November 2002, 05:45 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a Clarkson on at 8pm tomorrow, i think it's the right one. Even if it isn't, you will enjoy it all the same.
Old 12 November 2002, 10:05 AM
DC10
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Oh come, come! Surely over egging the truth somewhat!? Still got my Griff. Done 80k miles, driven *everywhere* one or two incidents-- worst being front calliper clamped shut but was able to drive another 70 miles back to dealer. Disk was glowing reddish white ... nothing too serious. Still, it is what it is-- a highly affordable bag of fun with no PS2 type electric controls to beat out all the raw driving pleasures ... engine note, sideways on out onto a dual carriage way, slipping out of third at 115 mph, etc.
Old 13 November 2002, 02:16 PM
BCA
Scooby Regular

Actually, the basics of each car remain the same:
Loud
Fast
Scary
No help from electrics
Manic laughter inducing slides
3rd gear wheel spin.

The AJP8 isnt quite as reliable as the Griffiths rover engine, but there are a few with 80k+ on now. TVR's on the whole are alot more reliable than thier reputation leads you to believe. As for stretched valves etc - thats the Speed six - the engine thats bringing the resale and reputation of TVR's down. Avoid a Speed six and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: TVR Cerbera