Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf V5 are they any good

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 06:38 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Even though I'm really set on an STi5 R having sold my scoob this weekend I've been looking at getting a "sensible" car aswell.

I had the 1.8t Golf GTi before my scoob but only had it 2 months as I found it a bit dull and not too good to drive. Before that I had a VR6 for 2 years which I was impressed with.

The new V6 golf seems to get bad press, but the V5 is reported to be a better one for the keen driver.

Anyone got any experience with a V5 golf?, seen a nice Y plate 2001 model with 11k miles, full leather and all the trick bits for 14k

Old 29 October 2002, 10:04 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I looked at the V5 when the P1 went - but the PD150 GTI oil burner is the way to go. I'm doing Derby to Milton Keynes and back each day at the moment (approx 800 miles a week) and I'm getting 51-52.mpg at the trip computers average of 70mph (so I guess I sometimes pop over 70) which is bloody amazing.

EVO rated the feel of the PD to drive over all the other Golfs - wonder if its something to do with having the big fat cast iron oil burning lump in the front.

It ain't no scooby - but it would make a great second car if keeping a scooby too.

Ian.
Old 29 October 2002, 11:12 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had a V5 company car for a year now, and I like it a lot. It strikes the right kind of balance for me in that it has a bit of go and all the toys (heated leather seats, cruise (with the controls on the steering wheel), auto wipers, auto dimming mirror, and more). Most of my miles are the commute and motorway miles. The handling isn't the greatest in the world, but you can still have some fun.

The downside is the fuel consumption - I average about 27, but a sensible motorway run can see you getting low to (occasionally) mid 30's.

It's really well built, I love the interior especially in the two tone. I honestly haven't been in a car where I've thought it was better.

The PDI 150 was released just after I ordered mine, and could well be a more sensible choice. Even if it had been on the car list, it would have been in std spec, so I'd have still prolly gone for mine. But I do hanker after 50mpg!

Iain
(Sorry if this rambled or was dis-jointed - am on call and knack'd!)
Old 29 October 2002, 11:16 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Question

Oh, and Ian - a question I've been meaning to ask (without meaning to thread hijack ):

Lift off over-steer. I remember reading one of your early posts about the PDI and you mentioned lift off over-steer at 20mph. How???? I've tried all-sorts and other than feeling the suspension load/unload haven't had any movement (other than understeer! )

Anyhoo...back to the V5....the grey leather is the way to go - with the two-tone dash and mettalic blue! Mmmmmm!!
Old 29 October 2002, 11:29 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Dunno really - the only thing I can put it down to was a great big slug of torque when I slipped the clutch in first gear when setting off. I backed off whilst turning in when upset the back of the car a bit too easily. ABS kicks in too early - it won't let you left foot brake either - to safe

Agree with you on the interior too - its a nice place to be whilst driving home in the pi$$ing rain. Heated seats are a nice way to start your drive as the mornings get colder too. Love the 'fasten seat belts' noise the ice sensor makes (its come on the last few days).

I get my 10,000 service next wednesday - all since end of july. Its been to france and back, and up and down the M1 each day - and it aint missed a beat. Work out the fuel savings over a scooby and it brings a smile to my face.

Even our XTR2 gets 35mpg when being hammered - shocking stuff.

Ian.

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 10/29/2002 11:34:39 PM]