Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Bang .... No oil :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2002, 05:16 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my mk4 Golf brought back to Cambridge, from London ... nothing odd about that ... until you note it was brought back on a flatbed

To cust a long story short, PC World, Mile End Rd (E1), entering car park, bang, hmm, stop, eeek, oil gushing from sump ...

Not had chance to call my local VW Service Dept. for a quote - anyone got any experience ? It's a V6 4Motion if that's makes any difference (probably an expensive difference!).

Bummer - oh well - no pics either, as batteries were flat in Digicam, oterwise I could have cheered up all the Arsenal fans on here

- Jon
Old 26 October 2002, 06:43 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Depends whats gone realy.

1. Worse case is probably a snapped crank thats smashed the sump causing internal engine damage.

2. Best case you hit something in the road and holed the sump.

Anything from a few hundred to many thousands of pounds then.

I hope its the second option.

Lee
Old 26 October 2002, 06:50 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Oh, it hit the ramp on the way into PC World, pretty sure of that. I'm hoping it'll only need a new sump, and an oil change!

Will be be on the phone to VW on Monday

- Jon
Old 26 October 2002, 08:33 PM
RallyMarshal
Scooby Regular

How quickly did you switch it off? Did the oil light come on?

Paul..
Old 26 October 2002, 10:58 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

When you say ramp, do you mean speed bump or similar.

Can a claim be made against PC World for the damaage sustained to the car?

Just wondering as it is possible to claim against councils who fail to maintain roads which then cause damage to a car.
Old 27 October 2002, 12:10 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

You can claim against the council for dodgy roads damaging your car. A work mate of mine claimed for a new alloy and front skirt for his fiat and got compensated. It took a while to come through but he got the money in the end. Just make sure you photograph the bit of road that caused it to back up your claim.
Old 27 October 2002, 07:43 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Yeah my mum recently claimed off her local council for a new wheel & tyre as it ripped the tyre off the rim in a local carpark (nasty pothole).

It would be harder for me, as it's not a council car park, but a privately owned one, and also no-one else seems to have had the same problem - my guess is they would simply argue that I was going too fast, and then offset the cost of a new sump, with their cost for resurfacing their carpark where I emptied my oil all over it! - I could infact end up paying out even more, as I'm sure it must have ruined their carpark (especially the Prince Charless Sound-eque oil lake I left behind!).

No, I decided to bite the bullet, and see what VW want for the work, and then see if it's worth claiming on insurance (but doubt it).

My last thought was to buy a Sparco sump guard to avoid any future problems!

- Jon
Old 27 October 2002, 02:41 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I holed the sump in my 944 Turbo a few months ago. I didn't know (it was dark) until it started to rattle and I stopped to take a look. It got flatbedded to a garage and the engine stripped; how it sits now really because I can't decide on the spec to rebuild (as standard or up to 3.2 conversion).

Anyhow, it's surprising how little damage there is. I have the bits at home and a mate from school, who is a mechanic, looked at it last week and reckoned that I could have repaired the sump with putty, filled it back with oil and carried on driving it with little trouble. I had gone 9 miles / 6 or 7 minutes (giving it some as well; it was early in the morning) with the oil pouring out and I didn't hear the rattle until the CD track ended.

May not be as bad as you think then is what I'm saying.

Fen
Old 27 October 2002, 02:57 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Hoping it's not too bad - though the repair bill will be inflated courtesy of VW for warrantly reasons.

I drove no more than 100 metres, so not expecting any nasty surprises!

- Jon