Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan ScoobyNet Equivalent?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 11:17 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know if theres a Nissan forum for the UK about anywhere?

Cheers
Neil
Old 14 October 2002, 11:20 AM
Nik_B
Scooby Newbie

The 200SX owners club has a good BB, and the guys are very helpful:

www.sxoc.com

Nik
Old 14 October 2002, 11:21 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Which Nissans in particular... I hope it's not Micras

www.gtr.co.uk
www.sxoc.com

Paul
Old 14 October 2002, 11:22 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Flipping heck Nik that was quick!!!

Cheers - I'll have a squizz.

Anyone know any others?
Old 14 October 2002, 11:53 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul.

Nah - could possibly be looking at an Almera GTi for the missus.
Old 15 October 2002, 09:31 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

We've got a Gti for doing the shopping in should you need any advice.

Dave
Old 16 October 2002, 11:29 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave, what are your overall thoughts on the car?

She's really after a Seat Ibiza GTi or Cupra 2.0 16v but there aren't many around so the Almera is the backup plan..........
Old 17 October 2002, 12:41 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Neil,
Bought the Black one (96/P) a few years ago as I was after a GTi but couldn't afford a Golf, experienced L/O oversteer for the first time as the R/N/S tyre had a slow puncture as I discovered half way round a roundabout!
Sadly it had had a knock which I didn't notice before buying (and the Nissan dealer didn't tell me about) and that affected the way the paintwork stood the test of time where it had been re-sprayed. Apart from that the reliability was top notch, it started every time and only ever needed the usual (tyres/brakes etc) when it was service time (12k/12months @ £190).

Handling is superb, like a go-cart in fact but with predictable understeer and will only really oversteer on very violent lift off (or icy mud ), putting decent tyres on makes a hell of a difference, I ran Toyo's (c.£70 per corner) and they were superb.

Interior is standard Jap, group 14 insurance, pre facelift (98/S) had aircon or sunroof, post had twin bags, bee sting aerial, clear lights, white dials ,air as standard with optional roof, and the very latest cars had side airbags.
All cars have Cat 1 Nats alarm, abs, drivers airbag, side impact bars and the 'bullet proof' SR20DE engine (timing chain as opposed to pesky cambelts)a la Primula GT/200sx. Stick on bodykit was a dealer fit option.
The engine is as most 16v's, over 3.5k it really gets going, quite high ratio's can make motorways a bit noisy (90mph@4000rpm), I stuck a couple of rolls of Brown Bread in the doors and floorpans and that sorted it.

There's more than enough space for 4 adults (the rears are excellent) but all cars have front and REAR roll bars making carrying large loads in the back a problem unless you unbolt the rear bar.
Big doors are great for getting in and out but they don't like car parks, check for damage and bodged repairs along the edges.

My missus wouldn't drive anything else (she doesn't have a choice ) and we recently upgraded for the blue one (98/S) which she likes even more cos of the tarty bodykit!

In summary, great cars which I'd recommend, loads of BBS members have owned them in the past and the only bad thing they or the motoring press had to say about the car was in the looks dept, which makes them about £3k less than an equivilent VW or pug and less nickable.

Hope this helps,

Dave

[Edited by DJFish - 10/17/2002 12:43:28 PM]
Old 17 October 2002, 01:51 PM
AlmeraTastic
Scooby Newbie

I couldn't agree more. I bought my 99T latest spec about 14 months ago and it's been superb. One of the best handling cars I've owned and great fun when driving at 8-9/10ths. Would be nice if it was faster though...

BTW - DJFish, have you considered any upgrades, chip, zorst, induction etc and if so do you have any recommendations for bits and tuning companies ?

Cheers,
Ollie.
Old 17 October 2002, 02:46 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wow - thanks Dave, thats superb info Also thanks Ollie

My mate has a black 97 Almera GTi with the bodykit but I've only been in it once, but thats why I suggested it to the missus We would certainly only get one with the kit on it as it makes it look so much better
In fact, as I said the Almera was a backup plan, but your post has made me think we should look at both that and the Seat equally and get the best car that comes along out of both. I was originally leaning towards the Ibiza as it came with bigger alloys(16's as I think the Almera is 15????) and brakes and also traction control, but you guys have both commented on how well it handles so prob not an issue
Agree re tyres making sure they are good, my old Pug GTi-6 was run on Eagle F1's and they made a huuuuge difference!

Thanks for the spec run down too, will be very useful in helping us looking at cars She'll be jealous when she see's this post too as that blue is the colour she likes best Would either be that or black as red and the yellowy colour are a no, and the light blue is a bit nasty too

Perhaps I should start another post where the headline is more obvious what I'm trying to find out

Cheers again
Old 17 October 2002, 02:47 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Ollie,
I put a Janspeed SS system on the old one right before we got rid of it, the original one was blowing and I've got a mate who works at Janspeed so a full system worked out cheaper than an O/E job! It was a wee bit louder but freed up the engine quite a lot. I would imagine a filter would make it even better.

The Primula GT produced 170bhp from the same engine so re-mapping would probably produce good gains.

The new car had a Sebring box already fitted so I didn't bother swapping over the two systems, I wish I had now as the Sebring zorst is bloody loud!

First thing I did to both cars was to Brown Bread (sound deadening) to the boot, doors and floorpan. Just to make it bearable to drive fast on a motorway.

Apart from that I haven't really fiddled too much, what with it being the other half's car.

One thing I'd sort out is the brakes, they're not bad but a few good miles on a familiar B road will boil them, the new car's got Greenstuff pads on (don't know if the disks are O/E) and they seem better, if a little grabby up to about 20MPH.

Handling's pretty much sorted as it is, and there arn't too many mods available for the car, but it doesn't go too badly as it is, of course you could always source an SR20DET and do a transplant........
Cheers
Dave
Old 17 October 2002, 02:59 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

No probs Neil, just don't get a horrible greeny flem coloured one as people will laugh at you.
Any other Q's just shout.

Dave
Old 17 October 2002, 03:09 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Nah - thats not on the cards either (I know the one you mean!!!)

Thanks again
Old 17 October 2002, 04:32 PM
AlmeraTastic
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Dave
Unfortunately mine's red, I would have prefered black or blue but really clean ones are like rocking horse do do and mine was mint so couldn't say no.

Oh! and what were Nissan thinking when they did that boggy green one !?!? One for the ladies me thinks ...

Shame they didn't do a candy apple red and metalic green flip flop like the old Primera GT, I thought that was a wicked paint job.
Cheers
Ollie.
Old 17 October 2002, 04:48 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ollie - even my lady wouldn't touch that colour
Old 17 October 2002, 04:56 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

There's a lot of things my other half won't touch.......unless it's my birthday!
Old 17 October 2002, 05:16 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 17 October 2002, 05:47 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

"The Primula GT produced 170bhp from the same engine so re-mapping would probably produce good gains."

The Primera GT makes 150ps (148hp).
Old 17 October 2002, 06:17 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

I thought the K(ish)reg 2.0eGT produced c.170bhp.
Apologies for the mistake.

Dave
Old 18 October 2002, 03:16 AM
Blitz_Boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

A new UK Almera owners club has just started up. Please come and visit here: http://www.almeraownersclub.com/forums/