Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

WI and Unichip

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 11:07 AM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.

Deciding to go either Nos or WI and Unichip. If I'm seeing 280 bhp at the moment and then add WI/Unichip, what can I expect to see..? Taking into consideration that the engine is in good working order with very high compression value 10.5 bar on all cylinders.

(Compression levels are 11 bar=max 8.5 bar=min).

Also is unichip the way to go for a GT4...?

Regards

Kev..

[Edited by ScoobyKev - 9/2/2002 11:09:01 AM]
Old 02 September 2002, 11:57 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Kev,

I ran a Unichip and WI on my GT4 (a few years ago now) and I thought it did give good value. I gained something in the region of 40bhp with a 0.3 bar boost increase. But more importantly the driveablity of the car improved much more. I.e. throttle response improved somewhat from the standard GT4 feel of being quite unresponsive.

As you have breathing mods and a hybrid turbo, the Unichip will be able to take advantage of these mods. Best you also have a Unichip linked boost controller so that the boost can be mapped also, it is worth it. Or alternatively, a Dawes device has good effect with a Unichip.

Whether you need WI as well is purely up to you. I had it as a safety rather than to allow extra advance, i.e. the Unichip was mapped without the WI and then the WI added. OK, you will loose a little power, but rather safe than sorry.

If this really is the last mod you are going to do, then Unichip would suit. But if you are going to go further than this, then a fully mappable, full replacement ECU like the MoTeC, Autronic etc. would be more suitable.

Friend of mine runs a ST205 now in the region of 340 bhp and he has spent some serious money on that car (including a new block) so the gains to be had decrease rapidly past 300bhp without spending serious-serious money.

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 September 2002, 12:05 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Ian.

Thx for the info m8

Regards

Kev..
Old 02 September 2002, 12:33 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Ian,

Am I right in thinking that if you run MoTeC, you do away with the need for an FCD and Boost controller?

And can it also be set up to control the redundant waterspray and Anti-lag (mild non turbo/manifold killing anti-lag ) found on us lucky WRC owners cars?

DazW

'94 ST205 WRC JDM
Old 02 September 2002, 05:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Daz,

Yes, with a MoTeC or similar, you actual bin the OE ECU. Therefore you don't need the FCD. Add a boost solenoid and the MoTeC can also control boost, so you can bin the boost controller/bleed valve/Dawes etc.

Making the water spray work is straight forward, but you will need another water pump to power it IIRC. Again, can be controlled via MoTeC (i.e. if boost > 1bar, if inlet temp > 50C then switch on).

The anti-lag system is a lot harder to sort out from what I have seen. I.e. you have air bleed system pipework in place for anti-lag which purely there for homologation purposes. In the real world it is pretty much useless especially as the system that was fitted to the rally cars was very very violent, turbo/exhaust eating

The MoTeC of course gives you the ability to add anti-lag in lesser or greater degrees in software. You can also have a switch on the dash that sets it on or off. Although great fun, I don't see it giving any advantage on the road, well, not really

Have a word with Powerstation if you are interested in MoTeC or Unichip work on GT4s. They have quite a bit of experince doing both on all three models of GT4s.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 September 2002, 10:38 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Although not on a GT4 , I had a Rev 3 MR2 Turbo with a 3S-GTE (ST205 equiv)with Unichip etc.
Truly fantastic mod, however only as good as the person mapping it.

Just had WI fitted on my STI Type R and getting the Unichip fitted beginning on Oct to run it properly and sort out my boost and fuel maps

Have a look at my website for other details on the Unichip on the MR

www.vuvz.co.uk