Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Unichip - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2001, 12:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was reading an old copy of Banzai last night and there was a feature on someone with a MY98 Wagon wanting a bit more power, and they ran some tests with a blitz filter, exhaust system and unichip.

The unichip bit interested me, anyone want to tell me if it's any good and what exactly does it do. and how much does it cost, plus can you compare it against Link ECU, or is it not as straightforward.

Oh, it'd be nice if it would fit on a MY94 WRX Wagon as well
Old 19 July 2001, 01:32 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Oi Mark! Buy my Link, see for sale section matey!

Tim
Old 19 July 2001, 02:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Tim,
long time no speak.

Ahh, if I had the cash then I would buy it from you. At the moment the unichip question is of the purley inquistive nature. Lack of cash is due to needing to repair the beast, plus I was with independant insurance, so have to reinsure the car, plus get a tracker fitted, plus loads of other bits n bobs, which means that I'm a bit short.

A bonus is meant to be coming my way, and when it turns up, if you still have the link I'll drop you a line.
Old 19 July 2001, 02:54 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have emailed you regarding insurance, but what forgot to say (in email) is only need cat2 protection.

Tim
Old 19 July 2001, 03:00 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Markus,

I have a unichip and am pleased with the results.

However, second time around I would go down the link route.

1. U can get rid of the MAF sensor
2. You can alter the map yourself (you cannot get the software to alter the Unichip)
3. Location of 'trusted' Unichip dealers is limited
4. Problems with controlling boost.

I purchased the unichip as it came in at around £600. Boost was controlled with the fitting of restrictors (which have to be changed depending on the weather) yet I would still get overboost upto 21psi on track. Since I have purchased an EVC4 (circa £450) now boost is controlled but it's cost me nearly £1200 - and I cannot alter the map myself.

My thoughts! If you know you will not make any further changes to the car get a unichip. If you think that you may make changes at a later date go link................
Old 19 July 2001, 03:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mo,
Think that a while ago I kinda made my mind up that one day I'd get a link, mainly as, if the need arose, I could tinker with it myself.
Old 19 July 2001, 04:15 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

Also, with a Link you can tailor the boost profile by engine speed to better map the compression map.

I have not seen this capability with EVC4. There may be other boost controllers that can do this. An additional consideration in the costing of this option.

Cheers,

David
Old 19 July 2001, 11:30 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi People,

I'm also considering either Link or Unichip. I already have an EBC for controlling boost. My questions are, can the Link be tuned to control airconditioning properly, cause I'm in very hot Greece? Also how about idling, can the Link be tuned to give a fast idle on cold startup like the jecs does? Can the normal or hot idle be tuned to idle smoothly?
If yes to all these, has anyone had success with the tuning of these items?

I know that the performance tuning side of it has been done successfully.

WREXY.
Old 20 July 2001, 07:51 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

WREXY>>On my V5 it's possible to sort idle, and aircon, it's just a matter of getting things right.

My car idles perfect now, aircon can alter idle 100 rpm either way coming on or off, and hotstart isn't a problem anymore.

One thing the Link doesn't approve of is vaccuum leaks...like a BOV that doesn't close...

In short, the link works very well (esp the new PCLink with up/download capabilities), and would be my first choice if I had to do it again.

/J
Old 20 July 2001, 07:59 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Guys.

Do you know the current price comparisons of the Link and Unichip packages?

Neil.
Old 20 July 2001, 09:05 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi guys
I got my Unichip ecu from Powerstation. I totally agree with Mo, they aren't much cop without a boost controller. I took mine around Castle Coombe the day after and it was trying to boost up to 23psi after it had been round 4 or 5 laps. Also when on part throttle and about 10psi in third gear or higher, the boost would fluctuate up and down by about 7psi!!! Luckily PE were at Coombe on the day and changed the restrictor which improved it.
The unichip fitted cost around five hundred pounds but then I had to fit the EVC controller and after a few tweaks, it's hunky dory and holds nice smooth boost. I also find it boosts up quicker and smoother through the revs. It can be a pain on motorways when you just want to hold a steady 80. You'll be driving along for a while, then all of a sudden it will start boosting and accelerating without you meaning to!
Otherwise bloody good fun, just a bit expensive, but I wouldn't bother again. I think if I was able to start again and had a grand spare, I would get an equal length manifold which would give much the same gains but without the headaches after fitting!
Good luck
Steve
Old 20 July 2001, 09:14 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I had the Unichip fitted to my STi because it was a cheaper option than the Link.Boy did I regret it.It actually ended up costing me the same because problems in making it work were blamed on my car("It's the cat/exhaust/fuel pump sir") In the end it was changed for a Link.A much better option IMHO.
Old 20 July 2001, 11:29 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

WREXY,

it depends which MY car you have. MY99/00 can be easily sorted with the N series chip and onwards.

It is OK with the K series, but better with later chip.

Regards Unichip on track, even with boost controllers I have heard of a number of cars that have had boost control problems on the track. With a Link you can tune the boost to your driving - probably dropping the boost target a little on the track to protect the engine.

With the standard turbo you can have higher targets in the mid range and then tail off the boost so that the turbo does not suffer thermal stress from overboosting!

Cheers,

Trout (Link Zealot)
Old 21 July 2001, 07:38 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Deep.

That's worrying news. I was just about to commit to the Unichip as I'd only previously heard good things about it (plus I wanted to get the bumpsteer mod done and thought it would be convenient).
However your comments have stopped me in my tracks as I also have an STi(4).
Could you expand a little on your actual problems/experience (mail me direct if you don't want to offend Powerstation)?

Neil.
Old 21 July 2001, 01:58 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Secret Agent Man and also Trout.

Yes, I do like the fact that you can tail off the boost at higher revs, something you have to do manually with the EBC and also when running the Unichip with EBC. This was my "against" reason for the Unichip, but liked the Idle and airco side of it. However since the Link has now been improved or the tuners now can tune the link to accomodate the cold start idle, the normal idle and the airco department, I am now favouring the link.

Cheers
WREXY.
Old 21 July 2001, 02:02 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Trout,

I forgot to mention, my car is a MY00.

WREXY.
Old 22 July 2001, 05:02 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Question

Next question people.

Because I believe that any ECU is only as good as its tuner, if I were to get a Unichip I would go to Powerstation as they seem to be the best at tuning the Unichip from what I have been reading on the bbs. I also know that BR Developments are the best at tuning the Link and would go to them for the Link. I have been told that the cold start idling (high idle), normal idling and aircondition can be tuned successfully with the Link to run properly.

Here's the question.
Has it been done successfully by any tuners?

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 22 July 2001).]
Old 22 July 2001, 06:14 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

WREXY,

the most recent Link for the MY99/00 cars have a new idle algoritm. The earlier MY99 chip (K) would work, but hot start was a bit surgy at times - car was fine and still easy to live with, just not as smooth as the JECS.

The issue is that MY99/00 have a stepper motor to control idle and this has 150 increments. The K series had only 80 incremenets - not a good match.

N series onwards has 150 increments and the software to control it - all well and good.

Mine now starts and idles like a normal car!

Unichip uses the OEM JECS idle control and so should be fine.

In terms of tuning, BR Developments will do a fine job of tuning idle/cold and hot start. No worries.

Cheers,

Trout
Old 22 July 2001, 09:08 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Trout,

Thanks very much for that information. Great to be able to get the stock style idle, cold and hot including the airconditioning idle and the cut in/cut out feature as mentioned by Secret Agent Man. All understood now.

Regards,
WREXY.

Old 23 July 2001, 04:36 PM
Russs
Scooby Regular

Seen this comparison?
Old 23 July 2001, 05:43 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Very interesting there Russs. I frequently visit the APS site but had not gone into that section of the site. I read the whole thing, including the other pages on the comparison.

WREXY.
Old 23 July 2001, 06:19 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mmmmmmm - as a zealot, clearly I don't agree with this.

I can't comment on other chips, however after 20K of Link usage, throttle response is good to very, in many cases, comments have been that the response is if anything too aggressive.

The author comments that the ECU is only as good as the tuner - and in this case we don't know who tuned it for 'maximum power'.

Just a thought, speak to good tuners - whatever the chip.

Trout
Old 24 July 2001, 04:27 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The shoot out that APS flogs is not totally objective.
The Link apparently was tested with the "out of the box"default map .
Which of course is just sufficient to get the engine started.
APS failed to advise this fact -They want to sell Unichip.
With Unichip you will never know what your map is. Access to the Unichip software can only be accessed by the tuner.Any changes to engine components / fuel type /conditions will require a return of the vehicle to Unichip supplier for Map change - At additional cost.
Old 24 July 2001, 08:18 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
The "ecu shootout" was slated in AUS. Companies were running varying boost, when one found out they didn't have the highest figure, he was allowed a second attempt..... Robs correct, the so called Link tuner relied on the default map.

IIRC, APS used their own RR for the tests.

If you want to find out the pro's, and con's of tuning products, and the tuners, this is the best place to ask.

Mark.
Old 24 July 2001, 11:37 AM
FrankM
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have Unichip fitted to my MY99 with the Unichip boost controller. It was mapped from Boemanns Motorsport at the Nürburgring.
He is the only man in Germany doing this for Dastek.
In my opinion this was one of the best modifications I have done to my car.
I have an decrease in fuel consumption for about 1,5 - 2l, an improvment of Torque and power (327Nm/253) at a moderate boost level of 1,05barhold/1,2bar peak.
I had never problems in loosing boost or bad idleing or something else concerning the Unichip.

In am going now for a remap in about 2 weeks because I have changed the turbo (VF23)and the intercooler and the Airfilter (APS).

I will be very intersting what figure will be reached, I think

FrankM :-)
Old 25 July 2001, 07:54 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Cool

I also have the Unichip fitted to my99 V5 Type R. Powere is superb, just under 300 for both bhp and torque. Driveability is far superior to before, the only overboost problems ive had were not connected to the Unichip.
If you want a bit more power and mpg, and most importantly to myself, safe running on our crap fuel, id say go for the Unichip. If you want to play around with the mapping of the car yourself at a later stage, go for the Link.
Imho, they are both fantastic products, and you wont go far wrong with either.

Paul
Old 25 July 2001, 03:24 PM
jack
Scooby Regular

Unichip has a map resolution of 12 load vs 17 rpm points. Last I heard, Link only has 6 load vs 16 rpm points, which is less than half. If we assume the tuner can bring out the best in each, what would be a better choice then? I think that's pretty obvious. And yes I'm running a Unichip, I guess that's pretty obvious too.

Not trying to invite flames upon myself, but over here (here as in Australasia), where we have the luxury of having all the aftermarket programmable ECUs and tuning expertise so readily available, it's general consensus that the best you can ever get is Motec/Autronic, Haltech and Power FC in that order. Unichip is all the rage here right now because money-for-value wise, nothing comes close. The rest of 'em - Link, Wolf, Microtech etc belong to what's called the K-Mart category. Sounds like a really bad thing to say but it isn't something I made up.
Old 25 July 2001, 05:25 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Jack ,
Were you given the map from your tuner?
I know its of no value to a Unichip user as access to the variables in the chip aren't available - But it would be interesting to know dont you think?
Old 25 July 2001, 09:50 PM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
Talking

I've got a MY99 Uk Turbo and have bought and HKS boost controller and Unichip which I am going to get fitted at Powerstation in two weeks time. I was originally going down the Link route but decided on the Unichip instead because of the reliability and security features of the standard ecu.

mikee
Old 25 July 2001, 10:22 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Mikee,

I hope you enjoy all those extra horses.

Just a quick comment - the reverse of what you say is that Link is unreliable and not secure - neither has been true in my experience! Just for those others reading this.

Enjoy your Unichip

Trout

Quick Reply: Unichip - any good?