Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Unichip??

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2001, 02:18 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of having a Unichip fitted, in conjunction with my existing Superchip, so that the fuelling / timing etc can be accurately mapped and therefore the boost increased "safely".

With the superchip, JR filter and a full de-catted Magnex exhaust I have just got the following readings from InterPro in Bristol:
Max BHP = 242 @ 5760 rpm
Max torque = 241 ftlb @ 3500
Unfortunately, these were measured using normal unleaded petrol. I always use SUL, but on this occasion could not find a garage near to InterPro selling SUL, so put £5 in to see me through the test. Filled up very quickly afterwards with Optimax

What I would like to know is if anyone can give me an idea of the potential power gains with the Unichip?

The guys at InterPro reckon 270 ftlb is what you can realistically expect (although I would like more - I'm just greedy ). I have looked at the dyno.scoobynet sites, but there is very little on there for Unichips. The couple of entries there show powers very similar to what I have A search hasn't provided many answers either.

Please - anyone got any ideas / experience of Unichips and the potential power?

Cheers

Simon

PS
I'm more interested in what will happen to the torque, rather than the BHP
Old 01 October 2001, 04:34 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Hi Simon,

I doubt you'd see much difference at all.

I have an MY94 with a unichip. On Powerstations rollers it produced 228lb/ft and on Power Engineerings rollers it produced 245lb/ft.

Should've got a link
Old 01 October 2001, 08:22 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with Mo.
I wasn't very impressed with mine and needed an EVC boost controller to get it running properly. It held 17psi but the extra performance over standard wasn't anything worth writing home about!
I've still got them as I've now sold the car, so if you are interested, email me,
Steve
Old 01 October 2001, 09:43 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Simon,had a Unichip fitted on my STi and it managed to drop the bhp to 260 and make the engine detonate like mad.Changed it for a Link and have never looked back.
Old 01 October 2001, 10:11 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Question

Deep,

Who fitted and tuned the Unichip for you?

Wrexy
Old 02 October 2001, 06:39 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

WREXY,better left alone mate as they have done some good work for me on other things.The Unichip just did'nt seem to work for me!
Old 03 October 2001, 08:59 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Deep,

I think that's the same people that told me that I didn't need it remapped after fitting WI and a downpipe

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2001, 08:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Mo,yes probably the same.Are you still running the Unichip,if so how's it going?
Old 04 October 2001, 04:31 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Deep,

yes I'm still running the Unichip as I've checked it on the rollers and it's running 8% co at 6300rpm, it makes me wonder how rich it was running b 4 the downpipe, induction kit and WI.

Torque is still a big disapointment (very little over standard) which shows on track with other UK cars so I will be changing to a link when funds permit.

Mapping is my biggest problem. I have spoken with Dastek who absolutely refuse to sell me the software to map the car myself unless I want to become a dealer. What a load of b0ll0x.

I am willing to pay the money and take the risk but they still say no. Guess where my money's going next.......

BRD maybe!
Old 05 October 2001, 11:19 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Mo,I take it you have a Knocklink to detect any det as this was a big problem for me.
Old 06 October 2001, 09:25 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

OK, if we promise to not have a war about this, I'll throw in my 2 cents ...

Deep: >>it managed to drop the bhp to 260 and make the engine detonate like mad

That is infuriating, and I think I would go ballistic if someone did that to me. An STi is already very prone to det because of the fuel issue, so the first thing I would check (if I were a mapper) is just that ... *is it safe ?*

However ... can we agree on the fact that this is most likely not due to the hardware, but to the people who did the map ?

Thought in between ... was it mapped on a rolling road ? My car was mapped on the German highway (took a lot of time etc), and I think Bob maps his links in the same way ? (out in the open I mean) ?

First thing I did before having any mapping done was order a Knocklink & LambdaLink from BRD. I think everyone should do that (or buy similar items) before they let anyone touch their cars. (not meant as a criticism, mind you)

Mo, the fact that you can not map your own car (not officially that is) is also a very negative point towards the Unichip ... I assume they want to avoid people blowing up their own car to protect their name, and they may even have a point with that, BUT it makes the Unichip a non-option if you want to learn things yourself and carefully want to alter certain settings. It would be justified to have 2 maps (one for SUL, one for NUL) or more (track), and you cant even load them into the Unichip. I did hear that in their new version (don't know when it's due) they would allow the user to switch maps from the dashboard, but I think the maps in itself would still have to be altered by a "dealer".

Last question ... I wonder how many people change their own maps with the Link ? I know I would be terrified to do something wrong, so I would prefer to go back to Bob to have it done professionaly. (if that would be possible distance wise of course).

Theo
Old 06 October 2001, 09:47 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm a happy Link fiddler.

/J
Old 06 October 2001, 04:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Evil,no war mate,as we've been through that before I think!I agree with everything you say and was very careful in saying that the Unichip did not work for my car.I do agree it's about the mapper not just the hardware but I also did'nt want to get into slating the mappers because I did that at the time and d'ont think I'll achieve anything by going on and on about it.I do think it is appropriate though that when someone posts enquiring about the Unichip I relate my experience.I know from previous conversations that you are very happy with the Unichip and that is just what we need, a balancing arguement
As it happens it was mapped on the rollers but that is the preferred method of the main tuners of the Unichip in the UK.Cheers,Deep.