Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone on here ever been in a Diablo?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2002, 04:33 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just curious as I have always been a big Lambo follower saw a few on the roads the roar from the V12 is amazing with an exhaust note to die for. Never been in one though ;(

Would love to get a spin or test drive someday

Osama
Old 08 August 2002, 06:28 PM
DaveS6
Scooby Regular

Yep, Been in one.. did about 160mph up the A11 in Norfolk.. bloody amazing.. build quality was ****e.. the air conditioning had packed up but the noise of that V12 was just something else...

It's certainly a trip I'll never forget. It belonged to my sister-in-laws boyfriend at the time.. think that he sold it on for about £55,000

Shame.. before we could take it out on the road we had to leave it in the drive for 10 minutes burbling away so it could get upto temperature!!

Good memories!
Old 08 August 2002, 07:16 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Cool

No but once had a run in the legendary Porsche 911 Yellowbird built by RUF GMBh. It used to hold the fastest road car in the world record back in the early 90's. It topped out at 211mph (0-60 was about 3.2seconds, 1/4 mile in 11.5) and this was well before McLaren had even thought about the F1.
It was very very quick. I had a GSXR750 at the time and it was as quick as that up to 100mph no problem. Trouble was it was so powerful the back wheels(only rear drive) used to cause the car to jump/hop when max power was applied. I remember in the road run I did the backend hoping around when the throttle was floored at 120mph.
Tyres didn't last long.
This was when the car was brought over to do the Goodwood hill climb about 5 years ago - ah happy days. It never did the Sunday run though because Stefan (the factory driver) got a little too out of shape on the Saturday test run and the stewards banned him from racing because they said his driving was a little too tail happy :-) As anyone who has seen 'Fascination' will know Stefan is a bit bloody good.
Not that this has anything at all to do with a Diablo, but it's as close as I got.

[Edited by Sheepsplitter - 8/8/2002 7:26:45 PM]
Old 09 August 2002, 10:00 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

No, but I've been in a 512TR, the next to last (and best looking) evolution of the Testarossa. It belongs to the MD of the company next door to where I work, he took a few of us for a short spin round the estate when he saw us all stood round looking at it.

Now THAT engine when its revving makes every hair on your body stand to attention
As Dave says about the Lambo, he had to leave it idling for 15mins to warm through as he couldn't even get it in gear when cold.
The guy has also got a 550M, an F355 and a Viper! His everyday car is an Evo VI.

Old 09 August 2002, 11:41 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Wink

Homer HMMMM Fu Chem Yung Chinese Restaraunt

Old 09 August 2002, 12:19 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Would have loved to have seen the Ruf Porsche, Fazination is one of my all time favourite vids
Mossman
Old 09 August 2002, 02:36 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Yip, driven one round Mallory Park, and loved it!!! very nice sound, and all that legend, and to hear the V12 thumping right behind you is just awesome.

Was wet, so cant really comment on handling much, but its a hell of a car, Ive always loved them thou, so it was starry eyes time, but it is quite an experience.
Feels brutal and powerful, just like a Supercar should.

I wish I had pushed it harder thou, I just didnt want to prang it, thou I so should have gone for it, wasnt on my insurance or anything, lol.
Old 09 August 2002, 05:11 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Been for a little burble around in one a friend of a friend owned. It was the ex Jk purple open topped VT.. Never got above 50 but I was still awe struck...
Old 09 August 2002, 08:50 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Was lucky enough to be driven around Bruntingthorpe in a Diablo VT by some professional racing bod (whose name escapes me) a few years ago.

Mightily impressive: I had just bought my first Impreza at the time, and up to around 50 mph the car felt no faster. But it just PILED on the speed from there on seemingly at the same rate of acceleration, reaching 150mph with no effort at all. And the cornering force was something else.
Old 10 August 2002, 08:39 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

i won a competition with alpine/auto express about nine years ago, spent a day at chobham track in a diablo, gorgeous sound, ****e build quality, great day though
mark
Old 12 August 2002, 01:05 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine was sales manager for Lambo for 8 years.

We took the yellow 6.0 VT that was in all the mags up to Autosport last year. This was the final evolution of the Diablo.

Such a quick car.

In top gear, it isn't really "on cam" until over 150mph. I Daren't say how fast we went on the M40 (no... MUCH faster than that).

On the way over to meet my mate in London, I decided that I couldn't spend £160k on a car, even if my 6 numbers came up. 10 minutes in this car made me think it was under priced.

Murcuialago meant to be even better.
Old 13 August 2002, 04:31 PM
KNOWLESY 3
Scooby Newbie

Forget the speed a friend of mine had one & spent £6k on the stereo.......

What a waste that was the sound of the V12 a foot away from your ear holes - ohhhhh and what a sound, you couldn't even hear the stereo..........
Old 14 August 2002, 09:59 AM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Cool

Been in two Lambos..

Countach many years ago but was stationary, still got the pics,

Jalpa, some years ago, friend of a freind. Car needed a lot of TLC, and IMHO was very very poor build quality.Good ride though, but that was a V8 I think ???

Diablo - never but one day maybe ??
Old 14 August 2002, 07:02 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Went to Ferrari factory in 1996 and though build quality was bad there, using rubber hammers and blocks of wood to touch the trim up and straighten the prancing horse badge....

But that was nothing compared to the Lambo factory, men with sledge hammers bending the chasis into place!!! And these were big sledge hammers!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Tom Hartley as a green Murciealgo for sale!
Old 15 August 2002, 11:19 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Smile

Does anyone on here actually own one or go to the meets or anything?

Osama
Old 15 August 2002, 01:48 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

There used to be a guy on here called Knightmare (I think) who had a 650bhp Diablo doesn't post anymore though.