Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have experience of the VX220 ?

Thanks
Old 24 July 2002, 11:32 AM
adamm
Scooby Regular

They are supposed to be better than the Elise - dunno why Vauxhall still have 90% of the stock unsold - maybe because it's a vauxhall...?
Old 24 July 2002, 11:47 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Good car ruined by smelly Y-fronts and a big V badge on it.

It is very close to an Elise and I think most owner ask themselves

"Do I want a Vauxhall or a Lotus on my driveway?"

No contest.

Should be able to pick one up cheap though if they aren't selling.

But get rid of the V badge!

Mark
Old 24 July 2002, 11:48 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They were - until the phase 2 elise came out a few months later - now thats the better buy...........
Old 24 July 2002, 11:50 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

No driving experience...but with a drivers airbag, abs and a torquier engine it looks to be an elise beater on the road (where the unexpected lurks around every corner lol). Problem is residuals - you'll lose a mint on the car very quickly.
Available new with 0%apr now, and slightly used for less than £17k. Turbo engine version comming out soon - depending on cost that could hurt current car residuals even more. I've been thinking about one....
Chuck
Old 24 July 2002, 12:07 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Thought the Turbo version wasn't confirmed yet ?

As for residuals,had many years of losing a packet, including 4 Subarus, so that doesn't bother me !
Old 24 July 2002, 01:27 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

lol The only reason I'd consider the cost is because the damn Elise holds it's money so well, making it even harder to swallow the loss. Damn badge snobbery hehehe.
Loads in the dealer network right now, so getting a test drive should be no problemo!
C
Old 24 July 2002, 01:41 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Trying one later on today

Have you tried one Chuck ?
Old 24 July 2002, 01:47 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

russ,

let me know what you think! I often thought of pitching down to a Vauxhall dealer and trying one then trying to do a deal for a VX200 & sensible daily car

Greg
Old 24 July 2002, 02:05 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

No, but if it's not raining this Saturday I'm taking a VX220 and a Caterham out (live about 20 mins from Caterham - nice!)
I've thought really hard about it, and the Cat costs so much less to run (insurance n servicing + better residuals) that the VX would be stupid for me. But still..I gotta try hahah - always have the option of weekends away in the VX which would be hell in the Cat..damn
C
Old 24 July 2002, 03:03 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Wasn't the chassis from the Elise anyway?
Old 24 July 2002, 03:22 PM
Bombjack
Scooby Regular

They are very similar drives, but no, the chassis isn't the same. The VX is both longer and wider than the Elise.
Old 24 July 2002, 03:35 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

They are built alongside each other in Norfolk, I think they do share a chassis, though few other parts.
C
Old 24 July 2002, 04:07 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Only driven one at a Palmersport day - and the Vauxhall seemed to me every bit as good as the Elise (S1) - details on it weren't great tho - a bit sloppy in places.

But, like someones said, would you rather have a Vauxhall or Lotus?

Seeing them on road, I think the Vauxhall looks more special however.....
Old 24 July 2002, 05:30 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Well you can get a VX220 on 0% finance now, so that may swing a few people. Apparently the VX220 grows on you. But so does mould...
Beef
Old 24 July 2002, 09:11 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

i've seen one of the yellow-with-black-wheels ones on my way to and from work, and it looks far better than any elise i've seen IMHO.

all vx220's need the Steinmetz grill replacement tho...

much better.
Old 24 July 2002, 09:19 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

However good it is, it is a Vauxhall.

You just can't buy it.
Old 24 July 2002, 11:04 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Angry

that is such a load of crap.
Old 24 July 2002, 11:28 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
It wouldnt put me off buying the 220 car since its made by vauxhall. I think it looks rather good, and if a turbo was coming out id be more tempted to get one over an elise. Elises are 2 a penny anyway :P

Id deffo change the grill tho, what would the neighbours say, pah a vauxhall badge
Old 24 July 2002, 11:38 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I am told the Turbo isn't happening, but a tweaked, track focused version is coming out called "Sprint"?? or something like that. 165 BHP, 16" front wheels, ECU,cams,brakes blah blah...

Wasn't that impressed anyway. Nice torquey engine.OK on a nice smooth road, but on a typical B road in my area, it was bouncing all over the place and felt like it was on the bump stops a few times.

Didn't spend that long driving it and will go back for another try.

Not worth the new price, even with a 10% discount, IMHO.

Old 25 July 2002, 12:16 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Check out the Aug Evo mag. Best drivers car and the VX220 does pretty well.
Old 25 July 2002, 03:46 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Caterhams have been the Evo track day car of the year, for the last two years running. Enough said.

Chuckster - get yourself a used 7 and an old banger for the price of an Elise. You are right about servicing and insurance for the 7 being very reasonable. Residuals are rock solid, you'll never have any trouble selling on a 7 if you look after it.

Why accept the compromises of an Elise/VX220 when you can have the rawness of a 7, with a banger for 'sensible' moments?

Just MHO, and I have put my money where my mouth is.

Den
Old 25 July 2002, 04:21 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

it would be alright with an opel badge
mark
Old 25 July 2002, 07:07 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Indeed, what would you rather own, a Vauxhall VX220, or an Opel Speedster? My advice, import the Opel, then get the Steinmetz grille.
Old 25 July 2002, 08:03 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Caterhams have been the Evo track day car of the year, for the last two years running. Enough said.

Den
I personally take this with a small pinch of salt - one of the EVO staffers is a wheel in the 7 owners club, and there’s generally a strong link between the factory and some members of staff. I’m not saying this leads to a deliberate bias, far from it, but it doesn't hurt the Caterham position come decision time.

Caterhams are nice, but much overpriced IMHO, and lacks any kind of radical or even not so radical development over the years. And before anyone pipes up, putting a higher tuned engine in one, or getting someone to design and build you a 6 speed box does not really count. I was in their show room in Caterham the other day, where they have a bare chassis on display and I was under whelmed to be honest - the aluminium panels were distorted where they went over tie wraps holding wiring onto parts of the chassis (OK, not a big deal), and the floor of the car remains (as far as I can tell) just a sheet of aluminium. Very nice if you find yourself driving over a raised drain cover. It would be nice to see carbon fibre/Kevlar/other composites used in some areas to move the design forward, without going away from the original 'core values'. But then they aren’t short of people queuing up to buy them, and as Dirty_Den says, they hold their value like nothing else. I suppose this is an example of conservatism (with a small ‘c’) paying dividends.

The only thing that would sway me towards a Caterham would be the residuals, but buying a car like this isn’t a sensible decision anyway, that’s why I’m saving for a Westfield MegaBlade.

Thank you for your time,

14500rpm
Old 26 July 2002, 07:42 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Dirty Den..I am a car snob. That's probably why I won't get a VX220, I'd have to get the Elise for the badge. It's also why I couldn;t get a Westfield..it's always been the classic Seven for me, and Caterham are the closest modern(ish) equivalent..anything else is just a copy.
As for having a banger to run around in, well the S3 and the 22B are staying..so I think I've got that covered LOL..well at least untill I can't stand it anymore and *need* a 911 - but having kids has always meant I've had to compromise somewhere hehehe
Still, VX220 is cheaper and apparently as capable as an Elise..and it's got ABS(which the 22 doesn;t) so frankly is better for B road 'tractor in the middle of the road' bashing..so I'll give it a try.
Just hope it doesn't rain tommorow!
C

Old 26 July 2002, 09:48 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chuckster -

Same as me mate, I've always been a fan of the Lotus marque, so I really wanted the heritage of a 'proper 7' rather than a replica. I do have to admit, that Westies are the best quality replica (a mate has the Ford CVH engined one) - but I just don't like the looks of Westies. That's just a personal preference.

22B for a 'banger' - blimey!

Den
Old 26 July 2002, 09:59 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Wink

14500rpm -

You are right in saying that Caterhams are more expensive than Westies in general. I priced up an equivalent spec new Westie and Cat and was amazed at how close they came.

When you buy a kit Caterham, a lot of the 'safety critical' stuff is done for you - the petrol tank and lines plumbed in, dashboard wired in, with loom, some of the brake pipes. That isn't the case with the Westfield IIRC.

Personally, I just don't like the look of Westies (too 'tub' like for me) - I guess each to his own. Maybe you are right about the editor of Evo being slightly biased, but there seems to be a consensus that Caterhams are a bit better than Westies in the chassis department.

But then again, I'm biased too! Each to their own I guess.

Den
Old 26 July 2002, 10:48 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Chuck

Interested to here your thoughts after the test drive
Old 26 July 2002, 11:39 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Caterham insurance - 1800VVC 150bhp quote for myself ( 1 sp30) and wife is £400 fully comp inclusive of all Caterham owners club and Caterham Motors track days, £35 excess for easytrack/bookatrack days.
Thats with zero no claims, the VX220 is £1200 and the Elise £1400
plus no trackday cover hmmmmmmmmmm
Still, going to try VX and Cat, nothing better to do with my weekend..will report monday.
C

Quick Reply: VX220 - Any good ?