Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

TVR Griff 4.3BV - anyone experienced this beast?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2002, 12:28 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that these pre cat cars still sound the best out of all TVRs and are still pretty nippy for a 10 year old car.

I'd be interested in the pros/cons from anyone who's owned/driven one as they seem like great value (£13/14k) these days.
Old 03 July 2002, 01:24 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I did a lot of research into these, and finally found one I liked, Blue, 4.3, with a Quaiffe diff.
I went and had a look, and first impressions were good. It was up for around £14k I think, and for this money, was in visually good condition.

I then lifted the mats, and this is where you start to see where possible problems could occur, as there was damp all over the place!! The fit of various nuts and bolts is also a little lacking, but this is expected with these cars.

I asked for a test drive, and when he started it it up, the noise!!!!! it is mind blowing, very impressive.
On the road, all the controlls are very heavy. You shove the gears into place, the steering is heavy at slow speeds, and the clutch weighs a lot, but again all expected with the car.

Performance is stunning, there is soooo much grunt, and it never gives out, just keeps pulling and pulling, and I 5hat myself more than a few times, where you enter what you would normally consider a long straight, boot it, and suddenly realise you're about to corner!! everything happens so quick, the car shifts!! corners very well, felt stable, and I didnt push hard enough in any corner where I felt the back may give way, and I was driving quite fast.

I didnt go for it, the damp, and general fit and finnish just managed to outweigh the enormous performance in my mind, as well as heavy running costs, but for under £15k, the look and performance is very impressive.

Check out www.pistonheads.com for some owners views.
Old 03 July 2002, 05:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think all of the Rover engined ones sounded the mutts nuts. What happened to buying the 328?
Old 03 July 2002, 09:30 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Ah, not for me this time - this is for a fellow car nut. The 328 is still on the cards - hopefully by the weekend I'll be a lot poorer and rarri'd up, if the car is as the owner describes.
Old 04 July 2002, 12:46 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

5 litre is cheaper to run because of the Rover engine, so my uncle tells me. Although its really quick it certainly doesnt handle to well, most of the time he pulls away in 2nd to avoid excess wheel spin !!
My Scoob leaves him on the twisties but stands no chance on the flat !
Old 05 July 2002, 11:13 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

As mentioned check out www.pistonheads.com

Beware of fakes, the Big Valves are rare and command a premium over the normal 4.3

Don't think they come with p/s either and have slightly different front end and wheels.

High milage seems to not be such a problem as most major faults have usually fixed but there are lots of hidden problems so you would need an expert to look at it for you first!!

Lastly they are the last of the Pre catalytic converter cars so any 500 just sounds muffled!! Suposedly the 4.3BV is one of the best sounding (along with the 450seac wedge)TVRs

Good luck!

Andy
Old 08 July 2002, 10:04 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Chopper - You got the GTS yet then?