Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thinking about an Elise

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2002, 11:18 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking of trading my 95 uk turbo wagon (crush-mobile) in for an S1 Elise. Is there anybody else that has made the switch? and is anybody able to offer me any advice on inspection & buying?

Thanks
pete
Old 23 June 2002, 12:05 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Buy some scissors and rollers to make full use of the hairdresser effect!
Old 23 June 2002, 12:13 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Rich Askew sold his Wagon for an Elise S1.

I don't think he is overvally impressed, with the power, but likes the handling.

Old 23 June 2002, 09:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I looked at both an S1 160 and a standard S2. This after selling the impreza and as stable mate to the 330d.

I was impressed but disappointed. Great little car, lacks grunt - even the 160 didn't press on like I would want, but a really 'sweet' handler. Easy to place, fun to drive....BUT....it is very much more 'mini-GT' than 'raw sports car'. I wanted the latter so went for a 330bhp/tonne westfield, but if you are replacing the Scoob with one, the mini-GT approach might be more compliant with everyday useage. But, make sure you go for a hotter version or you will be left wanting.
Old 25 June 2002, 07:43 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Huge fun but disappointing power... buy one then tune the nads off it...

16K and you can have mine...
Old 25 June 2002, 09:59 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

It looks like my sump is letting go[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] so it looks like i might have to repair it, which prolly means i'll keep it for a bit longer

But, will the S1 prices be likely to drop, on the release of the S3?, i still definitely want an S1 elise tho'

Thanks for the Replies

Cheers!

[Edited by The Crushinator - 6/25/2002 10:03:09 PM]
Old 25 June 2002, 10:04 PM
JohnS

You need to get in touch with the members of the Scottish Elises, for all the info on the cars, what goes wrong, how to fix them, where to get parts etc.

Mailing list at groups.yahoo.com and search for Elise

Very friendly and knowledgeable bunch, and they attend most of the SIDC event in Scotland
Old 26 June 2002, 12:40 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I bought an S1 in Feb 97 and had it for 2 years. Subsequently owned an Esprit V8, WRX & P1 - I still fondly recall the days with the Elise though. I think if you can handle not having a shove in yoru back when you accelerate, it is an immensely fun, cheap running and all round package of motoring delight for the money.

Good luck to you if you choose one - I would still have one again and recommend the switch highly if you are looking for smiles

We're pretty lucky in this country to have this option for the price - in oz or US they are a LOT more and there's no equivelant.
Old 26 June 2002, 09:57 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have recently swapped my 313bhp Sti Type R for an Elise S1, with probably about 125bhp. Am I mad?

Well, no. I bought the Elise because I am going on a long road trip to Italy with the missus, and wanted a softtop that is quick, fun to drive, and cheap on petrol. The Elise has no competition in this as it is way faster than anything else I could have got for the money. Only downside is that it has a titchy boot, but its not too small.......i.e. this is more of a problem for her (sorry darling, your hairdrier won't fit in the car) than me

Yes it is a lot slower than the Sti, but it is still a fast car and its power delivery is far nicer (no lag, and lots of grunt from tickover due to the low weight). The handling, as everyone knows is simply wonderful. And the running costs are a lot lower. PLus it takes 95 ron petrol.......the first car I have had in two years that will.......

I love it. If it suits your needs i.e. you don't need to move lots of stuff with it, you will too.
Old 26 June 2002, 01:28 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks that's why i want one, for all the above reasons. I have a wagon, but the most i've ever had in the back is a couple of tyres,or crates of beer I'm gonna see what the outcome of my sump problem is on saturday, and then hopefully start looking at some S1s if it isn't bad news

Thanx
Old 26 June 2002, 02:07 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Depends on how well the S3 goes down as to whether or not S1 prices crash or rise.

The Scottish Elise peeps are a great bunch, they will have plenty of advice and experience to share with you Crush

Good luck

I am still seriously tempted by the S2
Old 26 June 2002, 04:11 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt have thought the s3 would be out for a while yet as the s2 has only been in production for 18 months.
Old 28 June 2002, 10:11 AM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Yeah, with Lotus' current problems, i've heard internally that there aint gonna be an S3 for a fair while yet. The S2 is selling well, so they see no need to replace yet. After all, they've only just released the 111S and Sport 190 versions. Go for the S1 mate, and get it turbo'd by Turbo Technics. So fast it'll make your eyes bleed, and handling so fast, its done it before you even think about doing it.
Old 28 June 2002, 10:29 AM
HamsterWheel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Totally different driving experience, most drivers smile at you and get out of your way. Can't stop grinning when I drive my S2. Practical enough too, although luggage space is meagre (best way to fill the boot is to stuff all your gear in plastic bags, that way you'll get loads in).
Fastest car I've ever driven on a motorway too, as everyone pulls over to let you through, especially at night when the bluish lights scare everyone into thinking you're in a plod car.
If you want more info, pop along to http://www.british-cars.co.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=lotusbbs where all your questions will be answered.
Old 28 June 2002, 11:26 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice! thanx