Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Another motoring icon added to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2017, 04:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another motoring icon added to the stable

So here's my new baby, bought it from a local truffle hunter that can't use it anymore due to having just had both his knees replaced, he had it for 11yrs and only did about 60km in it, its got a total of just shy of 112km on it so about 70k miles, interior wise and mechanically it's in quite good condition considering it's exactly 30yrs old... someone (his step son) has attacked it with a rattle can and the old boy who's a couple of months shy of his 75th birthday managed to reverse it into his house (been there, done that) and damaged the rear right wing... beyond that it's just got small bits of surface rust and the beginnings of a small hole in the passenger footwell which is easily sorted.

Got this for a winter hack and to maybe do a bit of truffle hunting myself, they're quite good off road with the right front tyres, so i'll be able to make use of the many dirt tracks around here once again... something I've missed since selling my Isuzu Trooper... also good to have a second vehicle again as I'm quite isolated and alone out here so if one gives me any problems I have a reserve.

This is how she landed.

And this is her after a full day of cleaning and a quick once over with my polisher to remove the white haze... proof that you can polish a turd.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 08 December 2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08 December 2017, 05:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I paid just shy of £300 for it but it came with 100 quids worth of Kenwood cd, mp3 usb head unit and speakers courtesy of his step son who'd been using it to drive 3 miles to work and back for the past 3yrs, which quite amuses me playing a bit of jungle for the locals as I drive by.

It's not been driven for about 6 months so I've done an oil and filter change on it and topped it up with 100 ron to compensate for the quarter tank of 6 month old fuel that was in there and it seems to run slightly better than it did as it had a very slight occasional stutter, think i'll get new points, rotor arm, condenser and plugs in it over the coming week just to be on the safe side and probably change the gearbox oil at some point too, though they say it was done last year, so no rush on that one.

Off for my first real trip out in it in a couple of hours to get 100kg of dog food so we will see how she copes with an 80mile round trip... already got it up to 110kph and I can feel it has more to go but just ran out of road.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 08 December 2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08 December 2017, 07:16 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Out of curiosity.....100 Ron? I thought the maximum at pumps was 99, both v-power and Tesco’s being 99.
Old 08 December 2017, 10:50 AM
iMook
Scooby Regular

That's the muts
Old 08 December 2017, 11:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Stepmum had one these , followed by R5 . 1976/7
Old 08 December 2017, 12:04 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

The old man had an R4 f6 van. He loved it.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:51 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Looks like its seen some action..!
Get some garlic round your neck and a Beret ...!
Old 08 December 2017, 04:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
Awesome! Out of curiosity.....100 Ron? I thought the maximum at pumps was 99, both v-power and Tesco’s being 99.
I'm in Croatia, we have 100 ron out here, lots of places in mainland Europe have it, Shell Vpower has it as well but you don't get it in the UK.
Old 08 December 2017, 04:20 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Looks like its seen some action..!
Get some garlic round your neck and a Beret ...!
Yeah like I said the previous owner was a truffle hunter for 50yrs, so couple of dogs in the back and off out into the woods on the thousands of miles of dirt tracks we have over here.

I've just ordered a set of mud tyres for it so I can get back out there, it's got road tyres on at the min as it was used as a work hack for the last 3 yrs.

I think they've seen better days though as I braked a bit hard today in the wet and the back end started to come round, I think one side of the brakes at the front isn't as good as the other so that needs some investigation.

Still have a bit of a judder/ misfire in 4th gear when I ease of the gas and not 100% sure but I think it's pinking slightly too, could be something rattling under the bonnet though so again going to have to investigate that too.

Bought a new clutch cable today as the clutch is REAL heavy and needs adjusting up a bit as getting it into reverse it's right at the bottom of it's travel, I'm literally pushing it through the floor with all my might, it also got worse as the day progressed, so I called in at the autoparts place on my way back and he had one in, so I handed over the princely sum of 8 quid and I'll be fitting it tomorrow... also going to open the dizzy up and whip the points and rotor arm out of it so he can be sure and order me all the right bits along with the condenser.

Beyond that she performed faultlessly, was raining all day so I just kept it around 50/60mph cruising listening to some old skool funk.

Just calculated the mpg having done 170km in it since I filled it up and re topped it up on the way home and it came out at 46.6 mpg... I'm happy with that, considering part of that was an "Italian tune up" yesterday and the cruising today should even out at around the 45mpg mark.

Opps forgot to add that I bought two new auxiliary belts as the ones on there had seen better days... a bit frayed and cracked, one for the water pump and the other is for the alternator they were 6 quid for the pair, did them when I did the oil change.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 08 December 2017 at 04:53 PM.