Audi A3 a line 2.0 tdi

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2015, 08:33 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi A3 a line 2.0 tdi

Audi A3 S LINE 2.0 tdi.

I really like the look of these and was thinking about one for my daily driver.
Has any one got one and if so, what do you think about it?

I'm looking at a 2013 model in black. (Non Quattro)

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by Davec30; 11 July 2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11 July 2015, 11:13 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Often fancied an Audi TDi for my 90 mile commute. During said 90 mile commute I saw more Audis than any other car stranded at the side of the road. It something which has continued for the past 5 years and as such will never own an Audi TDi unless it it's the 3.0 variety!
Old 12 July 2015, 12:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yet you never see Skodas, Seats or VWs that use the identical MQB platform...that's the chassis, suspension, engine and most of the electronics.

Why is that?
Old 12 July 2015, 09:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ubiquitous attempt by , huge numbers, to appear better off . Almost as sad as those range rover hire purchasers .
You can bet they'll be wearing apple bracelet
Old 12 July 2015, 09:59 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

It'd make sense if the A3 was much more expensive. But a like for like engined/spec A3 are a just few hundred quid more than the identical spec Golf with identical underpinnings.

Seats and Skodas are cheaper...but they are cheaper made...sound deadening is definitely much more lacking on Skodas, something one wouldn't initially notice unless you drive them all back to back on a worn-out motorway and wonder why your ears are left ringing after arriving at a destination in the Skoda.

Spare tyre maybe an extra....which may explain the motorway breakdowns (wrecked tyre and no spare). I'm seeing alot of 2010 onwards cars with no spare wheel and no runflats either...Audi included.
Old 12 July 2015, 10:28 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yet you never see Skodas, Seats or VWs that use the identical MQB platform...that's the chassis, suspension, engine and most of the electronics.

Why is that?
Dunno. I made a comment a few years back about the amount of Audi's I see stranded on the side of the road and a Scoobynet member called me out on it and claimed I was only noticing because they were a "quality" brand and I was ignoring all the other crap which had broken down. Over the next couple of months I recorded exactly what I saw at the side of the M1.
IIRC, out of 21 cars, 9 were Audi, 4 were VW, 1 Seat and the rest was a various spread.
This is a trend I've seen month on month and if there is ever a week where I don't see an Audi parked up, it's a rare one. VW's are still the next most common followed by Vauxhal Zafiras. Seeing a Skoda or seat is a very rare occurrence. It's probably down to there being way more Audi/VW's on the road than Skoda/Seat (is there more?) but it's the truth.
Old 12 July 2015, 11:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Maybe on the next count see if its obvious as to why was stopped. Most cars I see that are obviously broken down (not just parked up on the hard shoulder probably due to the driver messing about with his phone) seems to have a shredded/flat tyre, although that is difficult to spot at speed if the car has rubber-band tyres.

I'm just curious; I keep seeing Jags broken down, but I put that down to just wishful thinking in that I only register "seeing" them, and I do pass by an awful lot of cars parked on the hard shoulder these days.
Old 12 July 2015, 11:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I do have a theory: Alot of Audis I work on are company cars on fully maintained lease, the lease companies are all a pain in the **** to deal with as they insist on using the one-link system for communication. For example I sends out an authorisation request first thing in morning (just for the simple routine service - no other follow up work)...then receive the "go ahead" five hours later after lunch, unacceptable in a busy workshop where up to ten cars can be worked on in one day so need to be time-sheduled so they all get completed the same day. We could jump the gun and carry out work before receiving authorisation, but there have been times authorisation has been rejected, so nothing gets paid for. Even a simple puncture needs a separate authorisation request and a long wait for it to be given the go ahead. That should give you an idea of what we deal with here.

Meanwhile the driver doesn't really have any idea of what goes on - he just drops the car in (or we pick it up) and he has it back towards the end of the day. He has no responsibility for anything on the car bar putting fuel in and topping up the oil and screenwash (we often don't get paid to add screenwash for a service, so its topped up with water). There are time he's given a car back with a puncture because the lease company have either rejected the authorisation or took so long replying to the authorisation that it was too late in the day to do the work in time.

Bear in mind these cars have 18500mile/720 day service intervals and the lease company won't let you touch the tryes or brakes until they are actually worn to the limit, so a car with 5mm of brake pads and 2mm of tyre tread can be sent out with the driver thinking he can drive another 18K miles without touching it unless someone tells him otherwise - which is all down to if the driver is directly contactable, sometimes they aren't

We've even had authorisation rejected on a broken front coil spring. And had to hand the car back with it still broken; It appeared to drove fine, bar a clunk. However I can't even begin to tell how dangerous that can be if the coil shifted further off its mount and down the strut; it can blow-out the sidewall of the tyre or sever a brake hose. Now this was a pool car; anybody and everybody in that company drove it - if our express warning given to the receptionist on not driving the car was not passed on to the staff who would normally drive the car, you can see why I take a dim view of it all.

Seeing that alot of Audis do seem to be on a fully maintained contract lease, I can't help think that this could be related....

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 July 2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12 July 2015, 01:22 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm now looking a 2010 Audi A3 today.
Old 12 July 2015, 04:35 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Audi's I see on the side of the road have blue ******* lights in the grills
Old 12 July 2015, 07:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Maybe on the next count see if its obvious as to why was stopped. Most cars I see that are obviously broken down (not just parked up on the hard shoulder probably due to the driver messing about with his phone) seems to have a shredded/flat tyre, although that is difficult to spot at speed if the car has rubber-band tyres.

I'm just curious; I keep seeing Jags broken down, but I put that down to just wishful thinking in that I only register "seeing" them, and I do pass by an awful lot of cars parked on the hard shoulder these days.
I did discount the cars which had an obvious flat. I'd be stunned if anyone actually used the hard shoulder of the M1 to mess with a phone
Due to an upcoming house move my time on the M1 will be practically zero although between now and then I will record what's parked up.
Why don't you do the same? It would be interesting to see someone else's experience!
Old 12 July 2015, 07:11 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I do have a theory: Alot of Audis I work on are company cars on fully maintained lease, the lease companies are all a pain in the **** to deal with as they insist on using the one-link system for communication. For example I sends out an authorisation request first thing in morning (just for the simple routine service - no other follow up work)...then receive the "go ahead" five hours later after lunch, unacceptable in a busy workshop where up to ten cars can be worked on in one day so need to be time-sheduled so they all get completed the same day. We could jump the gun and carry out work before receiving authorisation, but there have been times authorisation has been rejected, so nothing gets paid for. Even a simple puncture needs a separate authorisation request and a long wait for it to be given the go ahead. That should give you an idea of what we deal with here.

Meanwhile the driver doesn't really have any idea of what goes on - he just drops the car in (or we pick it up) and he has it back towards the end of the day. He has no responsibility for anything on the car bar putting fuel in and topping up the oil and screenwash (we often don't get paid to add screenwash for a service, so its topped up with water). There are time he's given a car back with a puncture because the lease company have either rejected the authorisation or took so long replying to the authorisation that it was too late in the day to do the work in time.

Bear in mind these cars have 18500mile/720 day service intervals and the lease company won't let you touch the tryes or brakes until they are actually worn to the limit, so a car with 5mm of brake pads and 2mm of tyre tread can be sent out with the driver thinking he can drive another 18K miles without touching it unless someone tells him otherwise - which is all down to if the driver is directly contactable, sometimes they aren't

We've even had authorisation rejected on a broken front coil spring. And had to hand the car back with it still broken; It appeared to drove fine, bar a clunk. However I can't even begin to tell how dangerous that can be if the coil shifted further off its mount and down the strut; it can blow-out the sidewall of the tyre or sever a brake hose. Now this was a pool car; anybody and everybody in that company drove it - if our express warning given to the receptionist on not driving the car was not passed on to the staff who would normally drive the car, you can see why I take a dim view of it all.

Seeing that alot of Audis do seem to be on a fully maintained contract lease, I can't help think that this could be related....
I could buy into that but I'm guessing there must be a fair amount of BMW 3 series and Mondeos on similar maintenance deals.
I don't have any gripe with Audis and as I said above, I would have considered one in a heart beat but 9 Audi's parked up out of 21 cars just put me right off.
I am however considering a V8 Audi as the next chariot as my daily commute will come down from 90 miles to 7 miles once my move happens
Old 12 July 2015, 11:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, we do alot of mondeos and focuses...but they are on 12month/12500mile schedules and have spare tyres. We're currently seeing alot of newish Mondeo 2.0s with blocked DPFs due to a little vaporising tube blocking up. Other than that they've been pretty much drama free.

BMWs have runflats and much more superior servicing notification; And they'll drive with no air in the tyres with little issue. That said, I have seen more come in on a flatbed with serious problems (N47 timing chain).

We do have a fair few Insignias, which all seem to have the most random of issues (done ten tailgate switches in almost as many days! ).

The most problematic Audis we get are A4/A5s, usually ancillary belt issues. And the odd DPF pressure sensor, but this seems to be on pre-2010 cars. Which is why I say the A3, certainly a 2013 model shouldn't really have any issue, although I'd make sure it has a spare wheel fitted and not a compressor.

I'd love a RS4 manual Avant. Its on my list of cars to own, but its difficult to find a good one as so many seem to have had a hard life.
Old 13 July 2015, 02:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
Often fancied an Audi TDi for my 90 mile commute. During said 90 mile commute I saw more Audis than any other car stranded at the side of the road. It something which has continued for the past 5 years and as such will never own an Audi TDi unless it it's the 3.0 variety!
i tend to notice Discoveries and LR products

anyway i don't doubt you - but I have to say my A4 Quattro 2.5 has been very reliable - and has just (last week) clocked 200,000 miles

it has let me down though, on the A1 - one of the Intercoolers blew, so i lost ALL power (if it was under 30 miles i would probably tried to nurse it home, but i still had 80 odd miles)

the real bugger was that the AA took about 8 hrs to get me home via relay (because of the 4x4 they needed a flatbed!!)

my FIL had the A6 allroad and that went through two engines, although he is very hard on his cars

but i would deffo get another Audi tbh
Old 13 July 2015, 04:25 PM
stevemort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a brand new Audi 20 TDI sportback which has covered 30000 miles in 5 months and i drive this car very very hard it has unbelievable grip for a standard car i cant fault it.