Old 03 June 2015, 12:30 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Type-R 2015 First Drive Review

So here's the first one
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...ive-2015-06-02

0 - 100 mph in 11.1

I think it is safe to say it is not a car for someone who goes for the understated look............

Looking forward to all the reviews and the test drive
Old 03 June 2015, 08:49 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

never going to be a sleeper that's for sure Ford have struggled with this sort of power through the front wheels I do wonder how compliant it will be for us mere mortals driving it?
Old 03 June 2015, 09:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I strangely quite like that; about the same power to weight ratio as our BM.
Great 0-100 time too; makes the mk2 RS look a bit silly.
Old 03 June 2015, 11:32 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I strangely quite like that; about the same power to weight ratio as our BM.
Great 0-100 time too; makes the mk2 RS look a bit silly.
It is nearly 2 seconds faster to the ton and for FWD that is pretty impressive. I'm trying to think of another standard FWD that is as fast to a ton and I am struggling.....it's a couple of seconds faster than anything else I can think of out the box..........

Last edited by Fabioso; 04 June 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05 June 2015, 10:33 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Looking back over the performance figures of yesteryear car icons demonstrate just how much the game has moved on. The new Honda CTR really moves the game on in terms of 0 - 100. It appears to be well within Golf R territory with regards to performance.
Old 05 June 2015, 10:37 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The concept had a nicer rear end with the lights flowing into the spoiler and wider arches
Old 05 June 2015, 10:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Looking back over the performance figures of yesteryear car icons demonstrate just how much the game has moved on. The new Honda CTR really moves the game on in terms of 0 - 100. It appears to be well within Golf R territory with regards to performance.
Well it has more bhp and less (much less) weight. And that 0-100 is significantly quicker than the R.

Unless it's wet, the Honda looks like it will be quicker.

Trending Topics

Old 07 June 2015, 02:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great in a straight line sh1te in the twisties Nice interior, seats, 30 or 32K is a bit steep with the GT pack however. And the looks Vtec doesnt kick in until over 3K yo.

Last edited by bioforger; 07 June 2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07 June 2015, 06:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Why are all the Ring records for hatches set by FWD cars then?
I don't like FWD but it can be very effective in the twisties.
Old 07 June 2015, 07:02 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Sillyboy, sh1te in the twisties in real life on a typical bumpy english b-road is NOT comparable to a nice slick wide open racetrack. And as you said, especially in the wet.

Every manufacturer that has brought out a trick front LSD is specifically to get good times on the ring, so mugs like you believe they will be an as effective tool as an AWD car in the real world on normal roads.
Old 07 June 2015, 07:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mugs like me that DON'T have a FWD car and never will?
Mugs like me that HAVE a 4wd Subaru?

My word Bio, recent posts really do make you look very silly.
Old 07 June 2015, 07:42 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll still have it off the lights up to 60mph with a 5.7 second 0-60 it's almost a second slower than my 11yr old Wagon and without AWD it's going to seriously struggle on anything but long smooth dry roads to make that up in the real world, I'd also like to see if that 0-100 time is consistently repeatable in the real world, I suspect not.

Styling is rather OTT for my taste, I'd feel as though I was driving a tarts handbag, especially if it was red.
Old 08 June 2015, 08:51 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

That is hideous! I'm sure 17 year old's will love it. It's the proportions on the thing, looks so out of balance to me top to bottom.
Old 08 June 2015, 09:25 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bioforger
Sillyboy, sh1te in the twisties in real life on a typical bumpy english b-road is NOT comparable to a nice slick wide open racetrack. And as you said, especially in the wet.

Every manufacturer that has brought out a trick front LSD is specifically to get good times on the ring, so mugs like you believe they will be an as effective tool as an AWD car in the real world on normal roads.
Admit it - you're just a bit miffed because it makes your Subaru look a bit, well, pish.
Old 08 June 2015, 09:48 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Admit it - you're just a bit miffed because it makes your Subaru look a bit, well, pish.
lol how on earth could you know that without trying one? or in your case either of them I'm going to test drive the mongda soon anyway, so whether its better or not is undecided. I don't think i could live with its looks though.

And either way I couldn't give a toss, only immature morons are worried whether one car is better than their own.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:47 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

You have told us how much better your car is many times...

I actually like the new STI and I think many of the criticisms of it are just shallow BS (poor mpg; who cares? High emissions; so what?) - it has proper steering, looks good and had proper 4WD not some fuel saving pretend "solution" like all the others.

But when you throw non stop hissy fits then you're going to open yourself up to a bashing whatever you drive.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:53 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Where have i told anyone at anytime its a much better car? And better than what?

Hissy fit? where?

You're clearly nuts.
Old 10 June 2015, 10:21 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

lol how on earth could you know that without trying one? or in your case either of them
Exactly. Completely agree. Oh, but wait, what was it you declared a couple of posts earlier?

Looks like you've managed to make yourself look a bit, well, silly

Bit of a generalisation there mate.

My Integra with its mechanical front LSD was faster point to point and more effective in the real world, on normal roads, in the bumpy twisties and pretty much anywhere else for that matter than my AWD MY99 turbo was. Wet or dry. And that's with the benefit of not just having tried them, but driven thousands of miles in both of them on some of the most demanding roads.

Yes, the Impreza was faster off the line (obviously) but once over 30 mph it was clear which was the better chassis.

Originally Posted by Ditchy
I'll still have it off the lights up to 60mph with a 5.7 second 0-60 it's almost a second slower than my 11yr old Wagon and without AWD it's going to seriously struggle on anything but long smooth dry roads to make that up in the real world, I'd also like to see if that 0-100 time is consistently repeatable in the real world, I suspect not.
Sorry Ditchy, I'm going to use bioforger's words here. I couldn't give a toss (about zero to 60), only immature morons are worried about the traffic light GP

Once rolling (ie real world) that 167 mph civic is going to be quite a bit faster than your 11 year old wagon

Last edited by Devildog; 10 June 2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10 June 2015, 10:41 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

hah typical mongda fanboy, deluded and miffed due to no torque
Old 10 June 2015, 11:05 AM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

except this new honda has 295ft/lbs... i wouldn't class that as no torque
Old 10 June 2015, 11:24 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Well yea now it has a turbo slapped on the new car. In my post I mean't the older models obviously.
Old 10 June 2015, 11:52 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

hah typical mongda fanboy, deluded and miffed due to no torque
You can apply as many jokey smileys as you want mate - you still contradicted yourself

Sold the integra years ago. Had it and the Scoob from new.

And no fanboy - just know a very good, balanced chassis when I drive one. Which, incidentally, is not something I'd apply to the vast majority of AWD cars I've driven, Subaru's included.

All this "AWD is much faster in the real world cr4p" is really just bluster. The real world is full of real world surprises - tractors, other vehicles, cyclists, etc, etc, etc. The only advantage it has is traction.

And only opportunities you get to drive any where near 10/10ths and with any kind of sanity are on the kind of more open sweeping roads where traction isn't going to be such an issue and the ability to carry speed through corners and along the straights is more important.

You want to demonstrate how much quicker you recon your AWD is on a bumpy, twisty, damp, public road by explioting that traction advantage to a meaningful degree - knock yourself out. You probably will when you hit something

You know as well as I do that the opportunities to do that are effectively non existant and the reality is that whever car is in front is going to stay there, and the gap would be insignificant given drivers of equal ability.

Ironically - the only place to properly demonstrate which is significantly faster in a head to head contest is on track. Oh, yeah, that would probably be you f*cked then.

"Real world twisties" is just as much pub talk as ring times are, and about as relevant

Last edited by Devildog; 10 June 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10 June 2015, 12:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

heh yep all valid points there
Old 10 June 2015, 12:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
You can apply as many jokey smileys as you want mate - you still contradicted yourself

Sold the integra years ago. Had it and the Scoob from new.

And no fanboy - just know a very good, balanced chassis when I drive one. Which, incidentally, is not something I'd apply to the vast majority of AWD cars I've driven, Subaru's included.

All this "AWD is much faster in the real world cr4p" is really just bluster. The real world is full of real world surprises - tractors, other vehicles, cyclists, etc, etc, etc. The only advantage it has is traction.

And only opportunities you get to drive any where near 10/10ths and with any kind of sanity are on the kind of more open sweeping roads where traction isn't going to be such an issue and the ability to carry speed through corners and along the straights is more important.

You want to demonstrate how much quicker you recon your AWD is on a bumpy, twisty, damp, public road by explioting that traction advantage to a meaningful degree - knock yourself out. You probably will when you hit something

You know as well as I do that the opportunities to do that are effectively non existant and the reality is that whever car is in front is going to stay there, and the gap would be insignificant given drivers of equal ability.

Ironically - the only place to properly demonstrate which is significantly faster in a head to head contest is on track. Oh, yeah, that would probably be you f*cked then.

"Real world twisties" is just as much pub talk as ring times are, and about as relevant
What a brilliant post.
I salute you.
Old 10 June 2015, 01:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Only place would definitely be relevant is on a Forrest rally stage , funnily enough

Still in the right hands probably
Old 10 June 2015, 01:47 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Actually the new STi isn't that bad on the track as people here seem to think, its handling is far superior to previous models mostly due to the stiffer chassis and reworked suspension.

Name:  Owned.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  228.0 KB
Old 11 June 2015, 06:24 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Another review; I do quite like it.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/honda/civic/type-r-hatchback/video#video
Old 11 June 2015, 09:48 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Yeah me too Mattee, the main negative all the reviews seem to mention is that it doesn't sound that special.

I'll take speed, traction, poise and handling over noise any day of the week