Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mini - are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2015, 12:39 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini - are they any good?

The wife is currently driving a 330Ci auto convertible. It's a good enough car albeit a bit thirsty as expected, with a 6 mile round trip to work. The plus side is it can seat 4 fairly comfortable (bit cramped in the back for long legged passengers) and takes 2 large suitcases when we dump the car at the airport. one in the boot and the other on the rear seats.

It's time for a change and the two on the list are a MX5 or a Mini. She's had a couple of the Mk1 MX5's but they won't fit a couple of suitcases in when the airport run is needed. Leaving the Mini as the sensible one out of the two.

I don't know much about the Mini's apart from the early ones had some problems that weren't cheap to fix. Looking at between £4-6k max. I'm sure she'd prefer the convertible which would probably be the same as the MX, so looks like the hatchback for that budget.

Looking for feedback for ownership on the Mini's, faults/recalls, running costs, servicing and parts and general maintenance. I know my way around under a bonnet so are they easily enough to service yourself?
Old 05 May 2015, 12:48 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

Not heard much positives about them to be honest.
Girl at work could not wait to get shut of hers due to issues..
Old 05 May 2015, 01:21 PM
MaxA
Scooby Regular

check out the MINITorque forum - a couple of those guys have run Subarus on this forum. There is a pretty substantial scene and lots of suppliers.

And yes, they are a lot of fun (as long as you have a petrol engine and a supercharger or a turbocharger, and deep pockets if its NA)!

Last edited by MaxA; 05 May 2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: you really need a charger
Old 05 May 2015, 01:22 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I had a Mini R56 Cooper D and got rid of it last year, that was the best thing during the ownership of the car - leaving it behind after trading it in.

When I first got it I did think it was great but the build quality wasn't up to much (which the R56 model was supposed to sort out compared to the earlier models) after a little time in my ownership.

The high residuals did mean that it was worth something when it was traded in but given the premium to own one that was inevitable.

Would I buy another one? Definitely not, they definitely trade on the BMW / Mini name a lot and there are far better offerings out there from Ford and other manufacturers.
Old 05 May 2015, 01:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

My Dad had a mk1 (BMW) Cooper S - it was a hoot to drive, the supercharger sounded great but it was shockingly thirsty and very rattly. The Puma (BMW service list) check also had a massive string of faults on it.

I'd probably look elsewhere.

I love MX5s but if the space is an issue I'd probably stick with the BMW.
Old 05 May 2015, 02:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Also the main reason I got shot of it was down to the clutch and flywheel starting to slip ever so slightly, at around £1200 or so to replace both with spurious parts I dread to think how much the parts would cost at a Mini dealership.

There are a list of common faults as long as both your arms on the R53/56 models as well, just go in with your eyes firmly open if you buy one.
Old 05 May 2015, 06:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Comparing a Mini to say, a 206, 106, C2, Aygo, Fiat 500/Ford KA, Clio etc which are similar sized cars. The Mini be it R53 or R56 is actually very very good....they stand up to a hell of alot of abuse before breaking or wearing out.

You have to consider the type of people that usually drive these cars and their general lack of mechanical sympathy - for example the suspension and steering holds up very well to sustained curb bouncing and potholing where a Fiat 500 will need new front lower arms and new rear shocks after just few years of abuse..the MINI will soldier on and on. The clutches seem to fair well to abuse where many small cars suffer and fail; We're constantly replacing clutches on low mileage Aygos/C1 and Picantos etc.

The gearboxes on old models are prone...again not helped by the typical people who drive them (you know, the ones that crunch when engaging revese because they have no idea how to use a gearbox properly ). Getrag boxes are much better (still not bullet proof).

Rear brakes are typical ATE affairs....don't maintain them , they bind and you get rusted discs and handbrake issues. The rear brakes often go untouched for many many years, so no wonder they sieze up!

ABS sensors and reluctors : no biggy (its parts of the wheel bearing and just bolts on)....However the ATE MK60 is the same system as the 3 series BMW (along with many other makes), so has the same issues, the ABS unit can fail, but it is repairable (no need to go to a stealers).

R53 brake pipes...many are now failing MOTs for this. Its easy to fabricate new pipes on these (done quite alot myself), but avoid cars with messy hand-bent copper pipes, as its obviously been in the hands of a bodger...cupro-nickel pipes that are mandrel bent not only look more like factory pipes but are far better performing (copper moves more under high pressure) and don't go green and manky.

Oil pressure problem on old R53s...usually because some numtpy has thrown away the filter insert out the oil filter lid!!! Of course this can over time ruin an engine if not rectified.

Prince engine...timing chain and tensioner. Nothing new; Peugeot/Citroens with the same engine have the same issues. Considering these have to put up with BMW's TLC servicing packs, its little wonder its a common issue - the main cause is oil degradation.

Front road springs fail...thats a corrosion issue from using the car in winter and not washing the salt out the spring seats - Its not a Mini thing: Corsas and Clios suffer much worse for this.

Both the Chrysler and Prince lumps can blow head gaskets, especially if overheated. Both are prone to thermostat and radiator leaks (especially if its seen parking abuse, which flexes the rad). As well as dodgy coolant temp sensors.

I could go on, but what I will say is there is ALOT of dogs out there, simply due to the nature of the people that tend to buy and (ab)use them.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 May 2015 at 06:55 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2015, 07:57 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Have owned three early Mini's, 1 x Cooper, 2 x Cooper S

All were totally impractical, terrible on fuel and very poorly built.

But.... an absolute hoot to drive.

I would buy another but only for fun through the twisties and no other reason.

PS, My 330ci Clubsport uses less fuel than either of my Cooper S's
Old 05 May 2015, 09:50 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Minis are fantastic! Great fun to drive, suprisingly spacious and appreciating in value every day, for that money youd possibly find a 970S aswell.

I presume you meant a proper mini and not bmw's modern rehash? :-)
Old 05 May 2015, 10:03 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

My 150mph skoda in for some bodywork

They have given me a 1.0 Toyota Aygo for a hire car and it is great!!!!

If you want a mini,get a real one,the classic.Completely different kettle of fish.Complletely.New one....no thanks
Old 05 May 2015, 10:04 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Minis are fantastic! Great fun to drive, suprisingly spacious and appreciating in value every day, for that money youd possibly find a 970S aswell.

I presume you meant a proper mini and not bmw's modern rehash? :-)
Old ones go for a fortune!!

And rightly so!!!
Old 06 May 2015, 07:31 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

The wife has a R53 Cooper S John Cooper Works, which she has run now for 9 years.
During this time it has been faultless! All it has needed is a fog light, due to a stone, disks & pads, just about to fit 3rd complete set & servicing.
Oh but I think the SatNav antenna has a fault, as the direction on the SatNav is playing up..lol
Still use Mini dealership for servicing, which is every 2 years, so has hardly cost a bean to run! I think the last service she had was a big one inc; coolant, spark plugs etc & it cost about £280.

She gets 24-28 mpg & has swapped out the Dunlop DSST run-flats for standard tyres, which greatly improved ride & handling.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:06 PM
WacPo
Scooby Newbie

I bought a 6mth old Cooper S and ran it for 6 years, never had a problem. Swapped the tyres front to back and had new ones at 30,000! Changed from run-flats and that made a good improvement.
Other than servicing, its only requirement was a pair of front discs.
It was an excellent daily driver and made me smile every time I got in it.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:47 PM
obie_1
Scooby Regular

We've got an r53 s couple of years ago and so far been ok much better since got rid of run flats it is suffering from corroded brake pipes as said previously,they're by no means a real mini but quite fun to drive with a nice whine from the supercharger..
Old 06 May 2015, 09:13 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife loves her cooper 1.6 na.
Been mostly reliable with only general stuff repairs as you would.
It's the older getrag boxes and power steering pump that have failures, post 05 plate I belive were rectified
Getting another at some point.
Chassis great.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 06 May 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06 May 2015, 10:41 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

No get a new mini bought, most of my design work is on the plastics for that car. Its whats paid for the AMG ;-)
Old 08 May 2015, 01:08 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

I've had a Mini One Cabriolet and a tin top Cooper and Cooper S. All '02-04 reg. found the engine on the One to be very coarse but both Cooper and S were fine. Had 2 steering racks and two new roofs fitted on the '02 Plate under warranty plus a siezed rear calliper under warranty (was serviced as per schedule).

I thought the switch gear and interior fixings were very cheap and tacky and luggage space wasn't great but were comfy to drive long distance and fun where conditions allowed. I'd have another Supercharged S if an opportunity arose, just for the noise.

Try and get an 04 onwards with Xenons if you can. Terrible pun but they are night and day different and this useful if you are in the sticks. Also swap any run flats out for traditional tyres. They also feel very crashy on 17" and 18" wheels. The 16s suit them best in my experience.
Old 08 May 2015, 01:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think its suffice to say if you want a car for luggage space, you don't buy a Mini....a Fiesta/Polo it is not....both are 1foot (300mm) longer!!

Being honest, if you want a big boot, you do not buy a small car. End of.
Old 08 May 2015, 07:10 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Granted.......but it's a consideration to make if it becomes an every day car for someone. Mine were company cars (you didn't get a choice other than colour) and naturally this came up even with the weekly shop.

They looked plenty big enough from the outside and then you get in it and the world falls in a smidge.
Old 21 May 2015, 07:34 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the comments and much appreciated. Will get a test drive booked up at some stage soon. Some of the forums are mixed bag of reviews. Those who have recently bough them, love them. Those that have one for a while have done a fair amount of work inc normal maintenance and those that sold them, love them or hate them.

Not really interested in a derv but noticed they do after 2005 a 1.4, 1.6 and the S. Just trying to figure out which would be best in the long run but would prefer mpg to mph even though mostly short trips are done at present. I've got the bike to go faster with.

Would also prefer to buy from a garage for the warranty peace of mind but the premium over private sales is quite a lot and in any event don't warranty companies hate paying out for anything still?
Old 21 May 2015, 05:51 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't agree with the poor build quality comments at all.

I have a 59 Cooper D and it feels like a tank compared to the 12 plate Fiesta pool car at work.

Had mine 10 months, 8k miles and it's been fine. Mid 50s mpg, £20 RFL and only half a second slower to 60 than the petrol Cooper.
Old 21 May 2015, 06:47 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
Thanks all for the comments and much appreciated. Will get a test drive booked up at some stage soon. Some of the forums are mixed bag of reviews. Those who have recently bough them, love them. Those that have one for a while have done a fair amount of work inc normal maintenance and those that sold them, love them or hate them.

Not really interested in a derv but noticed they do after 2005 a 1.4, 1.6 and the S. Just trying to figure out which would be best in the long run but would prefer mpg to mph even though mostly short trips are done at present. I've got the bike to go faster with.

Would also prefer to buy from a garage for the warranty peace of mind but the premium over private sales is quite a lot and in any event don't warranty companies hate paying out for anything still?
I've not driven a 1.4 but the 1.6 Cooper is very lethargic with little torque and seems slower than the 0-60 times suggest. Ok when ragging the nuts off it but annoying otherwise. Cooper S or the diesel are the ones to go for.

Edit - I think the post 2005 may be the Peugeot engines which are better.

Last edited by pflowers; 21 May 2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 21 May 2015, 06:49 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I don't agree with the poor build quality comments at all.

I have a 59 Cooper D and it feels like a tank compared to the 12 plate Fiesta pool car at work.

Had mine 10 months, 8k miles and it's been fine. Mid 50s mpg, £20 RFL and only half a second slower to 60 than the petrol Cooper.
The later ones are much better built than the early ones. Great cars to drive but lots of niggly problems.
Old 25 May 2015, 02:40 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I bought a brand new "Graphite" mini cooper D in 2010, and it was absolutely excellent.
Very good in the twisties for something that returned 50 mpg. The beauty of it that it wasn't like the impreza where you have to go silly speeds for it to be fun - it was fun at any speed.

My brother in law is still knocking about in it. It's recently had a new clutch at 50k miles, and it had a high pressure diesel injection pump under warranty as well.

I'd buy another one if I didn't need 4+ doors.
Old 27 May 2015, 08:39 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Very confused on the engine front.

Ali mentioned the Chrysler engine which I understood is what the early ones had(why,I have no idea,lol!)

Do they actually have a BMW engine or not????!
Old 27 May 2015, 09:01 AM
MaxA
Scooby Regular

The 1st gen had a 1.6 / 1.6S Tritec engine designed by the Germans but built in Brazil by a Daimler Chrysler joint venture for BMW MINI. These were tough but thirsty.

The 2nd gen had a Peugeot-Citroen 1.6T engine built under JV with BMW. These were not that great, with low mileage conrod failures and excess carbon build up on the DI engines.

The 3rd (current) generation has 1.5T triple and 2.0T four cylinder BMW engines. These seem pretty good but a 189bhp 2.0T four in the S is a bit underwhelming from my perspective - not that I've driven one.

I'm not so sure about the diesels, but seem to recall that some came from Toyota, but I don't really see the point of a diesel fired small car.
Old 27 May 2015, 10:20 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

thank you

Was very confusing before
Old 27 May 2015, 10:21 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The latest JCW models do seem to be very good although seriously firm for the road.

I had a shock in the 335d; 2nd gen Cooper S (modded exhaust) up a looong dual carriageway hill; usually the BM destroyed anything uphill; but this thing hung onto the rear almost all the way up! I eventually got a lead then backed off before speeds got utterly stupid.

Whatever it was, I do hope it was heavily modded!!
Old 27 May 2015, 10:22 PM
Pheonix
Scooby Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awful car , unless you feel the need to give your local garage loads of cash RUNAWAY, we do loads and they're great for business, not so for customers!
Old 02 June 2015, 04:49 PM
TMX
Scooby Regular

Watch out for the electric power steering pumps and their habit of blowing radiators (which will take the head gasket with it if it overheats)

Also worth googling "Mini Death Rattle"

Friend had one, the Supercharged version and it spent it's life with the rear seat folded as the boot isn't useable with the seat up.....good luck fitting a suitcase in one.

I would not recommend one from what I know of them unless you like your local garage's courtesy car.