Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

E46 M3 drift

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2015, 11:02 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E46 M3 drift

Picked up a really clean and well looked after manual M3 yesterday. I was looking for sheds to drift because of risk of damage but this is too nice.

Now in a dilemma... once I need more power than the 325ti after more practice do I change to the M3 or transfer the running gear into a series of cheap E46s and sell the M3 shell and newly diamond cut genuine 19s, sat nav etc?
Old 08 March 2015, 11:15 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like a plan, the extra cash can go towards other things. or you just see the car as a hunk of metal and get drifting the thing! an M3 drift car would stand out as like your thinking not many people would want to do it with a nice one. ive always fancied owning one just to tick it off the list so id drive it but thats not what your plan is obviously. just waiting until you need more power is also a good option as you could just use the M3 and not have to swap engines etc and save all that hassle. if its a tidy one you could drive it for a while and get some use from it meantime.
Old 08 March 2015, 11:46 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Drift it!

Get outside and give it a kicking, knock the bumpers off and zip tie them back on.

We'll all be dead soon, why not if you can afford it.
Old 08 March 2015, 11:49 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

jameswrx that is what I like to hear.
Old 08 March 2015, 12:06 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drift it, I never been able to drift a car as well as i did the M3

Brings back memories from 10 years ago That was when Bedford was a fun place to go to!
Old 08 March 2015, 08:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Guess the whole thing tips on the condition of the car. The integrity of the spot welds in the boot floor structure. And not to forget the brake pipes above/around the fuel tank (both easily missed).

Knowing the above affects all E46s (as well as all the other wear and tear suspension/brake components), the cost of finding/using cheap e46s to transfer running gear into could easily stack up when trying to make it track-worthy.
Old 08 March 2015, 08:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The M3 had the rear brake lines done a few weeks ago for MOT prior to sale and is said to have had the boot floor checked (pinch of salt perhaps), but they are past their best on the 325ti. The compact is apparently not susceptible to the rear subframe sheet metal mount tearing due to different design but whether it would remain so with an M3 engine and relentless drifting is another matter but there are some local guys who have become good at welding them.

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2015, 09:50 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

If it hasn't been reinforced, I'd get it done. It's going to be under a lot more stress than a road car with the drifting.

On the subject, have you seen the one posted on cutters..

Extreme case and says more about the servicing and mot checks

Last edited by jameswrx; 08 March 2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: iPhone hates me
Old 08 March 2015, 11:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

In fairness James, I've personally inspected these really really closely. And to be frank, the manner in which these spot weld fail, which creates a crack initiation point which then propagates, it wouldn't be noticeable until its too late. The underseal is applied in such a manner that it hides both the corrosion and retains water behind it which contributes to the failure. Its only until after the failure occurs does it open up in a manner which is visible underneath.

MOT can only check what is visible. Remember MOT is a bare MINIMUM standard a car must meet. You can have brakes like a Ford Anglia and half a turn of steering play in the rack and it still pass with flying colours. A tiny spot of rust and a solid thump from the testing hammer won't tell whats lurking underneath the underseal and within the box-section.

Its affecting normal 320 e46 saloons/coupes now as well, not just the M3.

If you like to watch aircrash investigation, think of it as being similar to a fatigue stress failure on a pressurised aircraft...spot weld fails, then a crack quickly forms in a short matter of time. It doesn't take much for a small spot of hidden corrosion to create initiation point rapidly resulting in a severe failure.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 March 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09 March 2015, 09:13 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Ever seen E46 compact with it? I haven't heard of any, but internet folklore and all that?
Old 10 March 2015, 12:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

No, but I don't see many compacts either. I''d expect it to be different as the boot floor is structurally different on these...spare wheel location etc.
Old 10 March 2015, 10:32 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John, What year is it? Under 10 years old and bmw will repair for free with an uprated item.

Would still speak to reddish about re-enforcement though.

I believe its a slight flex in the body of the car which allows fatigue fracture of the body. The new part has internal structuring and you can also resin inject. This will reduce flex and so reduce fatigue.

I believe it is the torqe and grip to handle the torque which which the subframe transfers through to the body from the m3 which makes it a common failure. As such you probably wont see it on other models as they dont have the power/grip over a sufficient period of time.

Id imainge if you put m3 gear on a compact you will need to re-enforce in the same manor. However im not sure if its easily swappable like the e36 is.

Given the price of e46 at the moment just chuck that about. For the work required to swap the body, i dont think you will get enough back to justify the cost. The expensive bits worth selling is what you would be keeping.

Perhaps when you put it into a wall then go compact for weight loss?
Old 10 March 2015, 03:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is 2003, I gather BMW checked it at 10 years, but that doesn't mean it won't tear or won't have torn already.

Just feeling a bit low about my E46s today as they are both faulty and it was supposed to be fun stress relief, but I end up tearing around outside work trying to fix them up. I guess I'd better get used to it.

It was a rite of passage to learn to power oversteer with all electronic nannies off though and that seems to make me very happy doing it.

Last edited by john banks; 10 March 2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10 April 2015, 11:54 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with it john. all will come good. Both my m3's just broke at the same time. Feels like ive spent all my spare time in the last 2 months fixing them.

Part of the terratory i suppose.

Took my 550bhp m3 out for a blast once it was fixed yesterday and all that pain became worth it
Old 10 April 2015, 01:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Got clutch done in the compact, but the exhaust to downpipe studs need to be drilled out to get the exhaust back on. Need to get the coilovers, top mounts and spacers on it to deal with the extra lock which is comical.

Replaced the M3 brakes, front discs weren't bad but fitted new ones with Pagid RS29 which feel good. Need to do the fluid and sort a few bits of paintwork out and will get the floor reinforced as there is a tiny crack I can see.

Still more spannering than fun, but in summer the track is busy, trailer isn't here yet, and partner in crime is busy farming so no rush.