Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Volvo XC70, Audi A4 Avant or Audi A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2015, 07:30 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo XC70, Audi A4 Avant or Audi A6 Avant

After anyone who has experience of owning or working on these cars?

We need as a second car a fairly big estate but almost has to be 4WD. Not too many choices but these are the favourites so far.

Volvo XC70 Lux Se (2.4 D5 diesel) 07 plate
Audi A4 Avant (3.0 TDI Quattro) 55 plate
Audi A6 Avant (3.0 TDI Quattro) 07 plate

I have had a good search online for info - Chains seem to fail in the engines for the Audi A4 (but not the A6 strangely), Air suspension goes on the A6. Volvo almost rock solid allegedly?

Anything we have forgotten/missed - must be fairly economical (more than the impreza wagon!)

Any first hand experience would be most helpful - cheers.

H.
Old 23 January 2015, 07:57 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

Im a volvo tech and i personally would have the volvo just get one with good service history i work on quite a few that are running 200k plus miles and are still sweet as a nut
Old 23 January 2015, 08:39 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Isn't the XC70 a Ford Kuga?

Edit- just realised the Xc70 is a jacked up V70, I'm thinking of the XC60

I used to own a 53 plate V70, well built and reliable but dull as hell.

Last edited by pflowers; 23 January 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 23 January 2015, 09:00 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For me it has to be the Volvo as well, might even get one for the Mrs when the current hack dies, failing that in estate form and to widen the search I'd opt for the V70 Cross- Country and as a last resort the Audi All-Road.

Good service history and loads of money spent fairly recently is what I usually go for, it's a little trick I picked up over the years that has served me well for trouble free motoring.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 23 January 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 23 January 2015, 09:31 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies gents - especially Scott as hearing from someone who works on Volvo's is invaluable.

The XC70 is a V70 cross country (but thanks for suggestion anyway) - became an SUV type thing later I think like the XC90.

All of them are highish miles - 100000 for the diesels and still hold their money. The A4 Avant is only 50000 though and one owner etc and FASH.

The missus likes the volvo and it ticks all the boxes and is great to drive but just zero fun factor!

Cheers and any more suggestions?
Old 23 January 2015, 09:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep sorry getting them mixed up, I thought the XC70 was the big traditional 4x4 but as you say that's the XC90, I really like the Audi All-Roads but you have to be careful as they have a few problems that can be very expensive to fix, which is why you can pick them up for £4/5k, but a hell of a lot of car for the money.

My best mate has an A6 estate but the v6 petrol and gets early to mid 30's on a run and about 26 around town, I think it would do better but he loves the sound when he boots it so he's always giving it beans and giggling like a 10yr old. and he's just turned 50.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 23 January 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 23 January 2015, 10:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the Volvo - decent engine, good value.
Audis are a bit of a rip off 2nd hand although the 3.0TDI is a fairly good engine.

Subaru Outback too? Just bought a 56 plate on and rather pleased with it. Petrol too so a bargain. What I lose out in mpg I'll "make" back in not having a diesel related emissions issue every other week.
Old 23 January 2015, 12:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

also the A4 Avant (which I think is a cracking looking car)

is quite small
Old 23 January 2015, 05:43 PM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Drove both the A6 Avant and the A4 Avant today - both Quattro 3.0 TDI's. These are night and day over the Volvo though - engines are so much smoother and more refined, both much quieter inside and out and drive like a lovely luxury cruiser (A6) and a fairly sporty cruiser (A4) . A6 is very luxurious inside but in a nice minimal way rather than the Volvo's 100 buttons on the dash. A4 is a bit more sparse but feels much more planted than the A6 which is in turn much better than the Volvo - no roll and feels connected. The volvo's are basically same age as the Audi's but worse condition bodywork wise and interior and have 30 000 - 50 000 miles more than the Audi, but prices are the same?

So any Audi 3.0 Tdi owners or Audi technicians on here that can help?

Cheers again.
Old 23 January 2015, 05:51 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I did consider an A4 Avant 3.0 TDI but got a 335d Touring instead.
Old 23 January 2015, 07:43 PM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

To be honest i still would go for the volvo not only reliable but also one of the safest cars on the road. Yeah the audis might be smoother but i dont know of any audis that have done high mileage and on same engine and if you have any problems with a volvo just contact me and i will tell you what it is ☺
Old 23 January 2015, 07:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottpolestar
To be honest i still would go for the volvo not only reliable but also one of the safest cars on the road. Yeah the audis might be smoother but i dont know of any audis that have done high mileage and on same engine and if you have any problems with a volvo just contact me and i will tell you what it is ☺
I have an Audi A4 Quattro on 195k - still feels remarkably tight

but I bet the Volvo is great car too
Old 23 January 2015, 08:00 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
also the A4 Avant (which I think is a cracking looking car)

is quite small
The b8 got a longer chasis so more room for rear seat passengers. I do like the new A6's they look nice and wide up front.

Diesels are known to be problematic in some cases, but the 3.0d is the one to choose out of them.

I have the b8 Avant but I don't know much about the b7 diesels apart from the 3.0d is fairly quick once mapped
Old 23 January 2015, 08:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
The b8 got a longer chasis so more room for rear seat passengers. I do like the new A6's they look nice and wide up front.

Diesels are known to be problematic in some cases, but the 3.0d is the one to choose out of them.

I have the b8 Avant but I don't know much about the b7 diesels apart from the 3.0d is fairly quick once mapped
I have the B6, so the 2.5 TDi not the best engine in the world, but ok

Touch wood it has been very reliable
Old 23 January 2015, 08:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I have the B6, so the 2.5 TDi not the best engine in the world, but ok

Touch wood it has been very reliable
Did they do the 2.7 in b6 aswell and then 3.0 in b7?
The 1.9tdi in the b6 were pretty bomb proof afaik
Old 23 January 2015, 10:28 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I love Audi estates.all of them.

Matter,my brother had bm 3 series estate.no boot at all :-(
Old 23 January 2015, 10:31 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Sure I heard Volvo drinks fuel

Anyway,lovely car.you've had a good hint from a tech.and none are meant to be exciting! Workhorses unless you going for souped up models :-)
Old 24 January 2015, 08:23 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Cheers gents for all the info and help, I think it's head over heart and will be the Volvo. Love the Audi's - especially the A4 Avant but we are after a solid tank that has loads of space, toys and safe for the kids!

Cheers Scott for the offer of any questions - always nice to see there are still some friendly helpful people on here despite what some may say.
Old 24 January 2015, 09:30 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I've owned volvos for donkey's years. The older ones were better. My current car is a v50 diesel. It was almost certainly going to be a 56 plate v70 d5 that had all the bells and whistles and even had seven seats, but being on a Volvo forum and doing some digging decided to give it a miss. I test drove it and thought it was a lovely car to drive, I liked the engine (certainly preferred it over vag 2.0tdi) but the problem is the dpf on the d5 engine on any v70/xc70 from 06 onwards.

Earlier models aren't fitted with the dpf, but are 163bhp 5 speed instead of 185bhp and 6 speed, that the dpf equipped models have. I have driven an xc90 with the 163 brake lump, but in auto, on many an occasion, but much preferred the v70.

The problem is the way in which the dpf regenerates. Diesel is injected into the dpf and ignited to burn off the excess soot. However, it is very common for the regeneration process not fully carrying out and this then puts the car in to limp mode, and an expensive trip to the dealer to carry out a regeneration cycle and reset.
Not only this, but it also causes diesel to filling into the sump, causing the oil level to rise, and you've guessed it, the car running in limp mode and another trip to the dealer.
For this reason it is important to keep stringently to oil change intervals, as the oil becomes contaminated with diesel and thinner.

Volvo did carry out a recall but this just amounted to a sticker placed somewhere in the engine bay advising that the oil level should only ever read 3/4 level on the dipstick, to allow for the rising oil level.

I would have been happy if I had found a decent facelift model v70 with the non dpf engine (look identical to dpf models but don't have indicators on wing mirrors, but only made for a year or less) but at the time I could only find one, that I test drove, but it had a few issues I was not happy with. Again, I preferred the later engine and gearbox but had already decided against a later car because of the issues I have mentioned.

The facelift doesn't really make a difference on an xc70, as the wheels and bumpers are pretty much the same on all years, but make more of a difference on the v70 as make it look a bit fresher and slightly more modern. There is an awd version of the v70.
Old 24 January 2015, 09:35 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

That's why I've gone back to petrols; sick of the emissions cack killing the engines. It seems you need to go pre 2007 (ish) to avoid them.
A shame because my 335d (56 plate) was totally reliable. I wouldn't trust a new one.
Old 24 January 2015, 10:38 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Here's mine just for reference, petrol turbo of course.
Handles really well with the torsen t3 diff taken from the b7 RS4, not a super car killer but effortless, also mapped to stage 1.

Name:  3A3BD3FB-EE09-4C85-92BC-097CBD3107F8_zpsantz8tdf.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  151.0 KB

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 24 January 2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 24 January 2015, 07:05 PM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

looks like all change - drove XC60 and XC90 today - liked both - both 2.4 D5 and have all but settled on the XC90 - a big barge but lots of room and has the lux executive pack with sat nav, built in dvd screens in the headrests and so on - on a 54 plate one owner with 79000 miles and full volvo history. The seven seats will be useful with kids!

Any experience on these guys?

Cheers
Old 24 January 2015, 09:12 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by henrysmith
looks like all change - drove XC60 and XC90 today - liked both - both 2.4 D5 and have all but settled on the XC90 - a big barge but lots of room and has the lux executive pack with sat nav, built in dvd screens in the headrests and so on - on a 54 plate one owner with 79000 miles and full volvo history. The seven seats will be useful with kids!

Any experience on these guys?

Cheers
Yes, as said in my post above, my wife's business partner has one and I have used it a fair bit. Economy, average of around 30mpg, maybe a bit less.
Manual version are in a cheaper tax band than the auto, but hard to find. Saying that I don't think it makes a difference for a 54 plate. Autos can be a little problematic, I think they needed a software update of some sort.
It is fairly common for them to lose four wheel drive and get stuck in front wheel drive, believe this is something to do with the rear diff crown wheel, can't remember exactly, but my wife's business partners one suffered from it.
Cem's or central electronic modules can play up on volvos, but I haven't experienced this personally.
54 plate will be the 163bhp d5 engine, so no dpf to worry about. Not a fast car by any means, but very comfortable and very well thought out interior. Premium audio sound systems sound amazing (better than moody Bose Audi stereo IMO)

Volvo sat navs are **** though.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 24 January 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 24 January 2015, 10:50 PM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

Xc90 are ok if they have been well maintained as has been said make sure it has got 4 wheel drive if it hasnt then it will either be the tranfer box sleeve joining transfer box to gearbox or the rear diff unit but can be driven without causing damage. Also i would look through the scuttle panel were the wipers are on the offside with a torch you will see a plastic casing if it has metal clips and looks like its 2 pieces this needs changing otherwise will get very costly. hope this helps
Old 25 January 2015, 07:59 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Again thanks gents.

Scott, how would I sensibly test whether the 4WD is working? Is it the Haldex type 2WD to 4WD system?

Car is one owner and full Volvo history and is very clean inside and out - better condition than any of the newer ones we have looked at!

Also does anyone know anything about having them remapped - more for additional economy if possible?

Last edited by henrysmith; 25 January 2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 25 January 2015, 09:21 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

It is a haldex system on that without getting it on ramp or lifting front wheels can be hard but i came up with a solution when a mate wanted to buy one. Basically turned video record on phone slid under on a lid from a container to middle of car got in and just drove it forward this way you can see the propshaft and if its turning if it doesnt then there is a problem, if there was a fault with the haldex unit at the back it would bring light on this is the only safe way to do it alot of people will say stick it on lock and boot it but that doesnt really accomplish anything
Old 25 January 2015, 11:09 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy

Volvo sat navs are **** though.
lol.Sounds like my mate's Porsche sat nav
Old 25 January 2015, 11:09 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, the sleeve from transfer box seems to ring a bell, think that is what our friends issue was.
Another fairly common issue is the boot release mechanism can wear and corrode creating problems trying to get in the boot, so make sure to test the operation of the boot handle several times to make sure it is functioning properly.

As for the remap, do polestar not do this scot?

There are other options for remap, but best to have a look on Volvo forum or t5d5 forum to get some ideas.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:05 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

Polestar is generally for the newer stuff the next best remap i have seen is the rica remap other then that any diesel remapper should be able to do it.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:41 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
lol.Sounds like my mate's Porsche sat nav
Imagine spending £150k on an AM V12 Vantage. With a black and white sat nav worse than the lowest rent system ever made...!

Quick Reply: Volvo XC70, Audi A4 Avant or Audi A6 Avant