Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Corsa VXR

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2014, 08:45 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corsa VXR

Just had a conversation with a guy in my works car park in a m5, just general talk about cars etc as I was leaving work and he said that his brother has a corsa VXR that has 520bhp and 500lbs torque?? Is that even possible in a corsa vxr and does anyone know anyone running that power in a corsa vxr as I think he's talking **** or am I wrong? Yes it's not a subaru question and yes I know I'm on a subaru forum but it's just a question before anyone says.
Old 19 December 2014, 08:52 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Type in google and a few threads pop up 500/600bhp
Old 19 December 2014, 08:57 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really know nothing about Vauxhalls and never really been a fan of them fella but if there's been an Astra VXR motor shoe horned in with work done on the motor like they did with the Nova's then I'd say possible.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Unless it's had a forged rebuilt engine, no.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:42 PM
hooley scoob
Scooby Regular

my daughters ex boyfriend has nearly finished building his vxr. forged. is expecting approx 450bhp. spent an absolute fortune on it
Old 19 December 2014, 09:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

There was a chap in my town (he worked at the local halfords) who claimed his little VXR corsa was making over 400 ponies. Obviously he could of been taking rubbish but I did see the car accelerate away one evening and was quite shocked. The bloody thing absolutely flew !!!!!
Old 19 December 2014, 09:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZO01
Just had a conversation with a guy in my works car park in a m5, just general talk about cars etc as I was leaving work and he said that his brother has a corsa VXR that has 520bhp and 500lbs torque?? Is that even possible in a corsa vxr and does anyone know anyone running that power in a corsa vxr as I think he's talking **** or am I wrong? Yes it's not a subaru question and yes I know I'm on a subaru forum but it's just a question before anyone says.

There is an "Other Marques" page where you may get better feedback.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:45 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Yeah can't see why he would be lying, won't be the standard engine though and wouldn't have been cheap!

There are 600bhp + lupos around!

Anything is possible if you have the dollars to throw at something
Old 19 December 2014, 09:47 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

There is a bloke here in Eastbourne who has a 420 odd bhp corsa Vxr, the things an absolute monster, fully forged and remapped by a place called thorney motorsports (or something like that) as said above though he has spent a fortune on it.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A guy I know raced a slightly chavvy looking Nova off the lights in his brand new (but run in) B7 RS4; and got annihilated!!

He had it supercharged then wrote it off. Oops.
Old 19 December 2014, 10:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Remember a Nova behind me when i was in my 280bhp+ wrx, i noticed the intercooler, he didn't get past me as he couldn't get any traction, but at the next set of lights i put my window down and asked him 2.0 turbo? And he said yes out of calibra.

Memory's lol

Old 19 December 2014, 11:28 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I got a friend running a Astra Vxr lump in his corsa. He has spent a proper fortune on it, fully forged etc, motec management, gt3076r blower etc, where was the guy from pal did he say?
Old 19 December 2014, 11:52 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's someone out Blackburn way who's dropped a WRX drivetrain into a Corsa, and is running some serious horsepower too. It came up behind me one night and rinsed me!
Old 20 December 2014, 05:58 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

That kind of power in a small car like that must be mental lol.
Old 20 December 2014, 06:25 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan wrx
There is a bloke here in Eastbourne who has a 420 odd bhp corsa Vxr, the things an absolute monster, fully forged and remapped by a place called thorney motorsports (or something like that) as said above though he has spent a fortune on it.
Thorney motorsport are the main Vauxhall tuner and you will keep warrantys on your Vauxhall if they have been tuned by them or Vauxhall dealers using there parts and maps I know one thing gearboxes are weak so it wont only be forged engines the newer astra is a lot better car than before but like has be mentioned any car can be quick if you throw enough at it especially a light car power to weight ratio
Old 20 December 2014, 06:43 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I got a friend running a Astra Vxr lump in his corsa. He has spent a proper fortune on it, fully forged etc, motec management, gt3076r blower etc, where was the guy from pal did he say?
Was this up for sale a few months back? I remember seeing a red one with astra vxr engine and tuned. Must be mental in a small car
Old 20 December 2014, 07:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Was this up for sale a few months back? I remember seeing a red one with astra vxr engine and tuned. Must be mental in a small car
No dude it's currently being assembled with new parts again, don't think he quite knows when to stop priceless wiping smiles off faces when it can't get traction wouldn't want to put a wager on top flight I'll be honest :P
Old 21 December 2014, 09:22 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Easiest thing to do is ask what turbo he is running as that will tell you how much the car can run. lbs seem high when it will be a 2 ltr lump?
Old 21 December 2014, 04:59 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyreedy
Thorney motorsport are the main Vauxhall tuner and you will keep warrantys on your Vauxhall if they have been tuned by them or Vauxhall dealers using there parts and maps I know one thing gearboxes are weak so it wont only be forged engines the newer astra is a lot better car than before but like has be mentioned any car can be quick if you throw enough at it especially a light car power to weight ratio
Thorney are actually the smaller of the big three......behind Courtney and Regal Autosport. All three offer the same basic services and most of the maps are from EDS in Germany.
Old 21 December 2014, 05:02 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GONZO01
That kind of power in a small car like that must be mental lol.
Certainly is. Having been there and done it with Vauxhalls, I'd still choose a quick-out-of-the-box car over a modified one. Turbocharged Novas are only fun in a straight line. It becomes boring very quickly.

There's a Tigra running over 700bhp from a C20let that's running 9 sec quarters owned by a guy called Andy Speck.
Old 21 December 2014, 05:30 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Easiest thing to do is ask what turbo he is running as that will tell you how much the car can run. lbs seem high when it will be a 2 ltr lump?
Best way to baffle a bullsh1tter, ask them questions that you know that could stumble them, like what turbo?? what injectors?? Corsa VXR is a 1.6 so ask them if its still a 1.6!!
Old 21 December 2014, 07:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Best way to baffle a bullsh1tter, ask them questions that you know that could stumble them, like what turbo?? what injectors?? Corsa VXR is a 1.6 so ask them if its still a 1.6!!

A friend told me his mate had a focus RS running 620bhp and he only paid £5k to have the extra power. Knowing how much cash it takes to get to that sort of level I can't see it being that much difference between vehicles.

I asked what turbo he was running and did a google search and found out its rated to 520bhp so that's the best figure so 620bhp is a little optimistic
Old 21 December 2014, 08:53 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
A friend told me his mate had a focus RS running 620bhp and he only paid £5k to have the extra power. Knowing how much cash it takes to get to that sort of level I can't see it being that much difference between vehicles.

I asked what turbo he was running and did a google search and found out its rated to 520bhp so that's the best figure so 620bhp is a little optimistic
Had a guy pull up at my house in a pink impreza telling me he did a 10 seconds quarter mile @ Santa pod the day before, When I asked him to pop his bonnet to show me what turbo he had, it was on the standard td04, standard TMIC etc, I had to stand there listening to his bull5hit!!

Funny thing is he not the only person who has done this!!
Old 21 December 2014, 09:23 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
Thorney are actually the smaller of the big three......behind Courtney and Regal Autosport. All three offer the same basic services and most of the maps are from EDS in Germany.
Yep I know but my post did say about keeping your vauxhall warranty with thorny you do the rest you don't even though they are. bigger as you have stated thorny are only tuning company recognised by Vauxhall
Old 22 December 2014, 12:46 AM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

You've stated that they are the main Vauxhall tuner. They aren't. 3rd down that list at best.

It's just a tie up that they currently have with Vauxhall. Courtenay used to have that status back in the day. They've simply moved on from it given how slippery Vauxhall are at seeing that warranty out. Ask any Thorney VXR Customers The fact that they very rarely get a mention in any of the articles of feature cars in TV Magazine is testament to that.
Old 23 December 2014, 09:58 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Modding cars and bull**** go hand in hand unfortunately. I kid you not, we had a yound lad start where I used to work who had a "Mini with a Formula 1 engine" Which sat in his garden where he'd start it up and "rev it to 18k rpm" until he passed his test. He didn't last long, but not before he revered us with tales of 1" punches (which he couldn't show us because it could kill us) and how he was a trained under cover assassin.

We had another lad who's Dad "had an R33 GTR" he even had a picture of himself lent up against one. The R33 GTR turned out to be very well disguised as a rover 214! My mate even asked his Dad where the GTR was which was met with much confusion and the kid with a purple head.

There was also a bloke who's brother "had an R1" which he'd "let him ride" that turned out to be some 125cc bike. Only reason he said it was because I came to work on my zx10r, it's like a disease with some people. They see something nice and just have to lie like you're gonna be impressed.

When I had my R32 GTR years ago it attracted the biggest bull****ters out there. I'd quite often get asked "what BHP is it mate?" To which I'd say about 380. This would create a look of total disgust shortly followed by "you wanna get it chipped, my mate's got one with 700bhp. You can get 1000bhp out of them easy" There was also a chap in my town who had an R33 GTR and had told everyone it was 600bhp. Fair enough but I'd asked these 3rd party's to ask what he'd had done which never got any convincing replies. He put it in the autotrader for sale and we rang him up.. Asked him what mods were done to it "just k&n filters" was the reply.
Old 24 December 2014, 01:05 AM
bigdal
Scooby Regular

I'm still involved with the vauxhall scene and there's a couple out there pushing power of 450 bhp + . Like people are saying you put enough money into it its achievable. And 500bhp from the c20 or z20let isn't uncommon you've got a twin 1000 bhp corsa b on last month's cover .

Last edited by bigdal; 24 December 2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 24 December 2014, 01:10 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Do you remember the abortion that was the EDS Boost Beast?

Stopped buying Total Vauxhall a while back as £5 on advertising and regurgitated technical features/John Cleland BTCC memorabilia was beginning to wear a bit thin. It makes a quick distraction through WH Smith but not a lot else.

I've still got a 4x4 Cavalier Turbo in storage so keep my toe in and the odd trip up to the VBOA national day but that's about it now. Mig/ETC have all had their day. Shame really because that scene was built on driveway builds on tight budgets and there were some really interesting motors. All Bluefin remaps and of-the-shelf stuff in comparison nowadays.
Old 24 December 2014, 02:34 PM
bigdal
Scooby Regular

You should pick up a copy as there's a lot of interesting stuff going on and not really your off the shelf stuff.
Old 25 December 2014, 12:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj

I've still got a 4x4 Cavalier Turbo in storage so keep my toe in and the odd trip up to the VBOA national day but that's about it now. Mig/ETC have all had their day. Shame really because that scene was built on driveway builds on tight budgets and there were some really interesting motors. All Bluefin remaps and of-the-shelf stuff in comparison nowadays.
I used to really like my Cav turbo when I had one, only thing that spoilt them is the slow 1st gear

Quick Reply: Corsa VXR