Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

This week I've been driving a 2month old 318d

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2014, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default This week I've been driving a 2month old 318d

535d in for warranty work....obligatory courtesy hack to hoon around in...My sum up:

Jiggle jiggle jiggle, stall, start, stall, start, jiggle, jiggle, bang, thud jiggle.

They still ride like a horse-drawn cart on cobblestones; I want my active suspension back

So can't recommend it: Sod the 60mpg, I'm using the R32 tomorrow...It has a better (softer) ride.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 November 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 23 November 2014, 11:11 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sod the 60mpg, I'm using the R32 tomorrow...It has a better (softer) ride.
I loved my R32, sounded the nuts.

Were I to have another one though I'd avoid the DSG auto and get it with a manual, proper box for a proper car.
Old 23 November 2014, 11:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

That's the other thing...the noise. Not the engine, can't really hear that unless driving slowly. Its the tyre/road noise, I think the last car I drove with road noise this bad was a 10yr old Octavia.

BMW really need to do some pre-production testing in my area to asses HVH.
Old 24 November 2014, 07:08 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a 420d Sport courtesy car for a week that was similar. It was also huge but completely impractical which wasn't handy. Looked quite nice though.

It's nice to have a recent BMW that's actually designed NOT to have run flat tyres.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:53 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Why do people buy these cars over a Mondeo?

well it's the badge i suppose and the fact BMW and Merc etc are exclusive
Old 25 November 2014, 10:11 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi have a reputation here, but I tried an A7 on massive wheels and S line type suspension and it was just awful. A new A6 on smaller wheels and normal suspension was acceptable for ride but rolled like a boat and the four cylinder diesel was difficult to ignore to concentrate on the ride. The only ride handling balance appeared on models with air suspension. The only real refinement was six cylinders and double glazing. Base models felt far worse than what I remember of a Mondeo 1.8LX two models back. Maybe it is expectation but Ford have had their base model suspension sorted for 15 + years.

Last edited by john banks; 25 November 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 25 November 2014, 10:56 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I have no issues with my 19" RFT's on my F31 with adaptive, the ride is leaps ahead of my old E92 on RFT's, in fact I'd say it rides as well as that did with non RFT's.

There is a bit of road noise though, that's the main gripe.
Old 25 November 2014, 11:46 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Why do people buy these cars over a Mondeo?

well it's the badge i suppose and the fact BMW and Merc etc are exclusive
****TROLL SCORING PANEL***

[1] [1] [0] [1]
Old 25 November 2014, 03:55 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
****TROLL SCORING PANEL***

[1] [1] [0] [1]

What does that mean, were only talking 318 not M cars etc?

Now you're not the one trolling are you?

Last edited by Carnut; 25 November 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 25 November 2014, 05:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have driven a 318d and a Mondeo.
One has a super efficient but fairly punchy engine, is nice inside, RWD, looks good and is well made. The other is a Mondeo.

Perfectly good cars for many but battered into submission by even the lowly 318d.
Old 25 November 2014, 05:29 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does that mean, were only talking 318 not M cars etc?

Now you're not the one trolling are you?
he will be arguing with everyone that the 2.5 boxer engine hasnt got issues next
Old 25 November 2014, 05:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
he will be arguing with everyone that the 2.5 boxer engine hasnt got issues next
Or some amg issues.
Old 25 November 2014, 05:42 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Or some amg issues.
Old 25 November 2014, 10:55 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

One has a super efficient but fairly punchy engine, is nice inside, RWD, looks good and is well made. The other is a Mondeo.

Perfectly good cars for many but battered into submission by even the lowly 318d.
The new Ford Mondeo had a massive fight on its hands to overcome the obstacles of its late arrival, threats from premium rivals like the*Audi A4,*BMW 3-Series*and*Mercedes C-Class, and the continual improvement of trendier*family crossovers. We’re delighted to report that the Blue Oval’s perennial repmobile has risen to the challenge. It’s an excellent car, and still very much relevant and worthwhile considering in its fourth iteration.

The suspension wafts you along, swallowing bumps for a pastime, with less tyre noise or audible bump-thump than the sportier opposition Germans. In line with its role as an outside-lane warrior, it sits solid as you like between the white lines inclass-leading silence.

But I'd still rather have a BMW.

Understandable, especially if you want a firmer chassis and badge appeal. But the Ford lets you trouser a major price difference. You can get a nicely equipped, nicely engined Mondeo for around £25,000. The petrol Zetec is just £21,045. And options aren't steep - 19-inch wheels £500, navigation £300, the radar cruise and auto-braking pack £900. It's a big saving over what the German three or Volvo demand.
The Mondeo firstly is about £8.000 cheaper like for like than the 3 series which at that price point is massive.
It's not all about getting the best but the best for your money and in the case of the 318 etc next to the Mondeo it's way over priced.

A 318d etc is not a sports car or a enthusiast car for a weekend drive it's a family car to commute to work in and pick the kids up from school in. The Mondeo is just as nice a place to sit inside, it's quite, comfortable and of a similar quality.

I suspect that you would like to throw aggressive posts about accusing people of trolling simply because they have a different opinion to yourself but why not question ALi-B for attacking one of your beloved BMW'S in the op or John banks post.

The Mondeo is to the 318d what the 135i is to the A45 AMG, money no issue the A45 beats the 135i hands down but one of the biggest selling points of the 135i is value for money, ie arguably a better buy.

Last edited by Carnut; 26 November 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 25 November 2014, 11:09 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

Ali b clearly has poor taste carnut more so
Old 25 November 2014, 11:50 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IveGotTheBug
Ali b clearly has poor taste carnut more so
I'm not saying that the Mondeo is a better car than the 3 series just a better buy.
Old 26 November 2014, 06:49 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The Mondeo firstly is about £8.000 cheaper like for like than the 3 series which at that price point is massive.
It's not all about getting the best but the best for your money and in the case of the 318 etc next to the Mondeo it's way over priced.

A 318d etc is not a sports car or a enthusiast car for a weekend drive it's a family car to commute to work in and pick the kids up from school in. The Mondeo is just as nice a place to sit inside, it's quite, comfortable and of a similar quality.

I suspect that you would like to throw aggressive posts about accusing people of trolling simply because they have a different opinion to yourself but why not question ALi-B for attacking one of your beloved BMW'S in the op or John banks post.

The Mondeo is to the 318d what the 135i is to the A45 AMG, money no issue the A45 beats the 135i hands down but one of the biggest selling points of the 135i is value for money, ie arguably a better buy.
You aren't very good at this are you?

Yes some tests prefer the Merc but it's hardly "hands down better". A mate has recently changed his M135i for an A45 and is seriously regretting it. Worse gearbox, noise, little adjustability, etc.

Nice try though troll boy.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 26 November 2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 26 November 2014, 08:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say the thing about BMW and indeed any poverty spec "prestige" motor is they are bought and driven by wanabees, so just the badge is enough for them and to be honest there are better cars with better spec out there for less money, but these people will put up with a not particularly good car because they have "made it" The people that can really afford them wouldn't buy poverty spec, they'll be in the top of the range model with all the options, which as suggested above is worlds appart, air suspension and double glazing are the perfect example, it's what the base models are missing.

A 1.6 1 series BMW is a totally different animal when compared to the range topping M135i, Much like the 318d compared to the M3 or any other car in that price range.

As rep mobiles go and I have driven way more than my fair share, I would say the Ford offerings punch well above their weight in terms of doing the job, but at the end of the day it's still a Ford, so that means after 3yrs and 80/100k it's going to lose 80% of it's value where as the prestige brand even in poverty spec will retain 60%+ of it's value, which is why many people and companies opt for them, as well as image.

In my last job I had a Volvo V50 sport with all the options and the look of envy on almost all the managers faces at Vodafone where I worked and that of the customers I visited was priceless, but the reality was that it was just a Ford Focus in a fancy dress, but it really looked the part in gun metal grey with fancy alloys and leather. It would also shut the screamers up too as when I arrived in it to sort their problems they took me seriously and had respect for me, (ie no more screaming, not that I would stand for it anyway) because the muppet that had bodged a job for them was in a Mondeo or a Focus, which were perfectly good cars at doing the job but lacked the Wow factor.
Old 26 November 2014, 08:36 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought the big advantage of buying a prestige car with poverty spec, was that bar the addon trinkets, your car went through exactly the same manufacturing process (materials, galvanising, paint, panel fit etc etc ) as the range topper

So a humble 3 series went thru the same process as a 100k 7 series

Maybe this is not the case now
Old 26 November 2014, 08:59 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

You aren't very good at this are you?

Yes some tests prefer the Merc but it's hardly "hands down better". A mate has recently changed his M135i for an A45 and is seriously regretting it. Worse gearbox, noise, little adjustability, etc.

Nice try though troll boy.
Yes some tests also prefer the Mondeo over the 318.

I haven't driven the new one yet (only the previous multiple award winning ones) but just give it 5mins and have a look, and remember to keep in mind there as much as 8k if not more less than the equivalent 3 series.

Five reasons to look forward to the 2015 Ford Mon…:

Last edited by Carnut; 26 November 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 26 November 2014, 09:05 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I thought the big advantage of buying a prestige car with poverty spec, was that bar the addon trinkets, your car went through exactly the same manufacturing process (materials, galvanising, paint, panel fit etc etc ) as the range topper

So a humble 3 series went thru the same process as a 100k 7 series

Maybe this is not the case now
It is to a large extent; a £60k M4 has a very similar interior to a £20k 1 series. You have to go for an X5/6 or 6 series to get a truly unique and very smart interior. The 5 is a bit better though.

The 420d we had for a week was almost identical to our 1 series inside; but with less toys.
Old 26 November 2014, 09:40 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Leaving aside the company car market where the BMW is simply a better overall financial position for many and hence a no brainer (although for the high volume fleet purchaser the deals available from the likes of Ford and Vauxhall make better sense) I think what people (road testers especially) forget that for the individual car buyer you can't a) put a price on or b) always quantify the "feel good factor".

And that's not just (as a few have suggested on here) the "look at me in my [insert prestige german marque]" wanabee point. Far from it (Sorry Ditch, but you're stereotyping here)

It's how the whole ownership experience makes you feel. Yes a comparable Mondeo is, pound for pound probably a better car than a 318 for most people most of the time. One of the best ride/handling/NVH cars I have ever driven was an early Ford Mondeo. It was simply miles ahead of anything German.

But at the end of the day its just a Ford. And it doesn't matter how good a car it is, its still just a Ford.

I doubt that most people who buy cars ever read detailed motoring reviews. They walk into a showroom and realise that they can pcp a 3 series for the same money as a Mondeo. they don't care that it doesn't ride as well, or is noisier, or may be a bit tricky in the limit on a damp greasy road with the stability control switched off. They see a higher caliber showroom, selling prestige cars, that to them feel more special to sit in than they experienced at the local Ford or Vauxhall dealership. They buy into the whole brand experience and it doesn't matter to them that their 318d is not an M4. To them it looks almost the same and is pretty much (as said above) the same inside.

Last edited by Devildog; 26 November 2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 26 November 2014, 10:50 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have to admit, when I had an E90 318d M Sport for a few days a while back, I was shocked when I realised the RRP on it was over £30k - for a 145bhp car!

TBH I think little engined BMWs are a bit silly but they are always class leaders on emissions and mpg so fleet buyers love them.
Old 26 November 2014, 11:58 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Arguably the comparable Mondeo is just over £28K.

Makes the BMW £3k more. But will be cheaper over the term of ownership than the Mondeo.
Old 26 November 2014, 12:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildog
Leaving aside the company car market where the BMW is simply a better overall financial position for many and hence a no brainer (although for the high volume fleet purchaser the deals available from the likes of Ford and Vauxhall make better sense) I think what people (road testers especially) forget that for the individual car buyer you can't a) put a price on or b) always quantify the "feel good factor".

And that's not just (as a few have suggested on here) the "look at me in my [insert prestige german marque]" wanabee point. Far from it (Sorry Ditch, but you're stereotyping here)

It's how the whole ownership experience makes you feel. Yes a comparable Mondeo is, pound for pound probably a better car than a 318 for most people most of the time. One of the best ride/handling/NVH cars I have ever driven was an early Ford Mondeo. It was simply miles ahead of anything German.

But at the end of the day its just a Ford. And it doesn't matter how good a car it is, its still just a Ford.

I doubt that most people who buy cars ever read detailed motoring reviews. They walk into a showroom and realise that they can pcp a 3 series for the same money as a Mondeo. they don't care that it doesn't ride as well, or is noisier, or may be a bit tricky in the limit on a damp greasy road with the stability control switched off. They see a higher caliber showroom, selling prestige cars, that to them feel more special to sit in than they experienced at the local Ford or Vauxhall dealership. They buy into the whole brand experience and it doesn't matter to them that their 318d is not an M4. To them it looks almost the same and is pretty much (as said above) the same inside.
I think we actually agree, we just put it differently, and yes the feel good factor is VERY significant, I would also agree about the average joe doesn't care what the car is like on the limit because they'll never get anywhere near it, they're buying into the marque.

I'm a Merc man myself when it comes to Prestige cars for exactly the reasons you mention, nothing quite like wafting along in relative comfort and a bit of luxury feeling like a superior being.
Old 26 November 2014, 01:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
I have no issues with my 19" RFT's on my F31 with adaptive, the ride is leaps ahead of my old E92 on RFT's, in fact I'd say it rides as well as that did with non RFT's.

There is a bit of road noise though, that's the main gripe.
Thats the crux..this one clearly hasn't got apative suspension. And it shows that this is a very much needed option to have fitted now.

NVH is an issue - both tyre noise and the engine is bit intrusive at low speed.

To be frank, I'd rather have the 2.0d mondeo (not a 1.6d - too slow). Well actually my preference would be towards a higher-spec (but still cheaper) 2.0d Focus (318d is a 2.0d too). I'm sorry but the current Focus is a nicer car to drive, more comfy and better to chuck about. Strange, as I never had this issue on other cooking model BMs (ignoring the X1 - which is worse)

I can forgive the F30 318d for being a bit down on power, but the way it drives just isn't nice. Auto start/stop on the Focus is better too...318d keeps getting caught out.

The only negative point with the Ford 2.0d is that its a Peugeot engine. Though I'm pretty scornful of these, it usually because I'm used to seeing them in E7 Taxis that have been run on cheap oil and wrecked the camshafts as a consequence - Although thats at mileages where a N47 would have long since snapped its chain if the owner ignores the faint tell-tale rattle. So even stevens really.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 November 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 26 November 2014, 01:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm a Merc man myself when it comes to Prestige cars for exactly the reasons you mention, nothing quite like wafting along in relative comfort and a bit of luxury feeling like a superior being.

On second thoughts, a C-class is a far far nicer car to drive than all of them. Ok its going to be a bit squidgy round the bends, but its a worthwhile compromise.
Old 26 November 2014, 01:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
On second thoughts, a C-class is a far far nicer car to drive than all of them. Ok its going to be a bit squidgy round the bends, but its a worthwhile compromise.
Really? So as an out and out comparison between an E90 335d and a C350 cdi, you'd favour the Merc? Is that as an all round proposition as opposed to dynamics?
Old 26 November 2014, 01:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A E9* 335d on 17 or 18" non RFTs is a true all rounder and kicks the Merc equivalent into the weeds.

I'm not so sold on the current F30 series; too big, too wafty. Reports on the 335d (x-drive only) suggests it's very fast but rather numb. The RWD 330d is a nicer thing to drive.

It also sounds like adaptive is needed (the 420d sport we had didn't have it); I tried with and without on our M135i and preferred it without. There have been reports of a knocking issue and several with it think it's a waste of money.

Happy with the ride and handling on ours.
Old 26 November 2014, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Maz
Really? So as an out and out comparison between an E90 335d and a C350 cdi, you'd favour the Merc? Is that as an all round proposition as opposed to dynamics?
That's not what I said...

I'm talking about current production cars here. E90 hasn't been made for 3years now and is a 10year old platform so its pretty irellevent when I'm talking about new cars.

If I'm comparing a new F30 318d with RFTs and without Adpative suspension, vs a new base model W205 C-class, then yes, the Merc wins.

Quick Reply: This week I've been driving a 2month old 318d