Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RX7 After 05 STI...

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2014, 12:45 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX7 After 05 STI...

Im currently driving a widetrack STI with the Prodrive pack. Liking it very much. Had it for over a year, I normally get bored and sell up but I'm still liking it.

However

My boss mentioned theres a chance I might be getting a works van. Which means my car would strictly be a weekend car. Mileage would be plummetting, plus I have a classic mini for pootling about in the country with my good lady and a picnic.

I'm aware of the MPG, the exaggerated oil consumption, the exaggerated reliability issues. I'm only 5'11 so I'll fit in too.

What I'd like to know is how do they compare peformance wise (FD shape), and in terms of pleasure to own, drive, use etc.

Cheers!

Last edited by JamesDundee; 28 July 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 28 July 2014, 01:00 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Kaboom. Just need to make sure it's been rubilt and we'll looked after
Old 28 July 2014, 01:11 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Absolutely loved mine. At 380bhp it was crazy fast too! I'd happily have another RX7 tomorrow.

Go sideways sooooo well!
Old 28 July 2014, 01:39 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I had one for a short while, iam 6ft so it was a bit of a squeeze and although I went in a bit blind at the time and was unaware of the problems I would love another one despite now knowing of said problems.

IMO not for daily use, but as you've said not an issue.
Old 28 July 2014, 06:33 PM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

crap
engine is made of paper mache
no torque
makes a sti seem frugal on fuel
unless good compression forget starting it from warm
even rebuilt they are just on bit of det awat from kaboom
headlamps that light up next to nothing..etc etc etc
Old 28 July 2014, 07:07 PM
maca1983
Scooby Regular

One of the lads that came down to TOTB with us is running a 500+bhp RX7, he was telling me its a 7k rebuild after every 7000 miles

AND there are no garuntees with the rotary engine rebuild () so if its foobarred after rebuild that's another 7k!!!!

not my idea of fun, however he did say it was mental and loads of fun to drive
Old 28 July 2014, 07:16 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see both sides of the coin. I know the reliability issue is exaggerated. And a lot of places offer mileage based guarantees on rebuilds. I was speaking to someone about driving and when he heard I have an Impreza he said "oooh chocolate pistons". Most performance cars have their perceived unreliabilities. I'm more interested in the performance and general ownership side of things. So they don't had a lot of torque then? Hmm that's not great. Part of me wants an R32 GTR but I could get an RX7 and have spending money left over for bits and pieces.
Old 28 July 2014, 07:18 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I want a ls3 with 6 speed conversion! Job done, reliable, powerful and a lot easier to maintain whilst retaining the rx7 looks.
Old 28 July 2014, 08:07 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I had some spare money so when I came across a guy selling fresh imports at a good price I bought 2 with the idea of selling them on.

I sold one but decided to keep the other until a guy at work who had a mx6 gave me a offer I couldn't refuse so I let it go.

The guy at work had it for years and could still have it today for all I know, he had it as his daily and to the best of my knowledge ñever had any problems.

I think that the biggest problem is if you dont service them VERY regularly you will have problems but its like anything, if you look after it and its just for the weekend then it cant be that bad surely.
Old 28 July 2014, 08:33 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had an RX7 when I owned a 996 Turbo. Not a lot to choose between them in general performance although the 996 was certainly flat out faster. The main difference was running costs; the Mazda cost a fortune in fuel (about 16mpg), oil (he was always topping it up) and maintenance costs; it lived in the dealership. The Porsche was much cheaper to run, and who would have thought that? But the Mazda was a hoot to drive and it handled like a go-kart. Unreliable as hell though.
Old 28 July 2014, 09:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine cost very little in maintenance, but if pushed I could get fuel consumption down to single figures. Never bothered me as it was my 4th car at the time and only used for fun. Spent a fortune upgrading bits instead.

It certainly beat quite a few cars that should have left it for dead. The chassis is so well balanced I've not owned a car I enjoyed drifting more. Always put a smile on my face. Until I put 19" wheels on it and the rear tyres started costing me £600 each at the time every 6 months.
Old 29 July 2014, 01:15 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Previous car was a 450bhp rx7. 2 way diff, 4 inch straight through, project mu brakes etc

If something wasn't going wrong or trying to explode it was trying to kill me at every opportunity. I have significant hearing problems and am in abject poverty. Would love another one at some point
Old 29 July 2014, 09:17 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset
Previous car was a 450bhp rx7. 2 way diff, 4 inch straight through, project mu brakes etc

If something wasn't going wrong or trying to explode it was trying to kill me at every opportunity. I have significant hearing problems and am in abject poverty. Would love another one at some point
That may have convinced me!