ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   RX7 After 05 STI... (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1008833-rx7-after-05-sti.html)

JamesDundee 28 July 2014 12:45 PM

RX7 After 05 STI...

Im currently driving a widetrack STI with the Prodrive pack. Liking it very much. Had it for over a year, I normally get bored and sell up but I'm still liking it.

However

My boss mentioned theres a chance I might be getting a works van. Which means my car would strictly be a weekend car. Mileage would be plummetting, plus I have a classic mini for pootling about in the country with my good lady and a picnic.

I'm aware of the MPG, the exaggerated oil consumption, the exaggerated reliability issues. I'm only 5'11 so I'll fit in too.

What I'd like to know is how do they compare peformance wise (FD shape), and in terms of pleasure to own, drive, use etc.

Cheers!

cuprajake 28 July 2014 01:00 PM

Kaboom. Just need to make sure it's been rubilt and we'll looked after

BrownPantsRacing 28 July 2014 01:11 PM

Absolutely loved mine. At 380bhp it was crazy fast too! I'd happily have another RX7 tomorrow.

Go sideways sooooo well! :)

Carnut 28 July 2014 01:39 PM

I had one for a short while, iam 6ft so it was a bit of a squeeze and although I went in a bit blind at the time and was unaware of the problems I would love another one despite now knowing of said problems.

IMO not for daily use, but as you've said not an issue.

p1junkie 28 July 2014 06:33 PM

crap
engine is made of paper mache
no torque
makes a sti seem frugal on fuel
unless good compression forget starting it from warm
even rebuilt they are just on bit of det awat from kaboom
headlamps that light up next to nothing..etc etc etc

maca1983 28 July 2014 07:07 PM

One of the lads that came down to TOTB with us is running a 500+bhp RX7, he was telling me its a 7k rebuild after every 7000 miles :eek:

AND there are no garuntees with the rotary engine rebuild (:confused:) so if its foobarred after rebuild that's another 7k!!!!

not my idea of fun, however he did say it was mental and loads of fun to drive :norty:

JamesDundee 28 July 2014 07:16 PM

Interesting to see both sides of the coin. I know the reliability issue is exaggerated. And a lot of places offer mileage based guarantees on rebuilds. I was speaking to someone about driving and when he heard I have an Impreza he said "oooh chocolate pistons". Most performance cars have their perceived unreliabilities. I'm more interested in the performance and general ownership side of things. So they don't had a lot of torque then? Hmm that's not great. Part of me wants an R32 GTR but I could get an RX7 and have spending money left over for bits and pieces.

forgedmarco 28 July 2014 07:18 PM

I want a ls3 with 6 speed conversion! Job done, reliable, powerful and a lot easier to maintain whilst retaining the rx7 looks. :thumb:

Carnut 28 July 2014 08:07 PM

I had some spare money so when I came across a guy selling fresh imports at a good price I bought 2 with the idea of selling them on.

I sold one but decided to keep the other until a guy at work who had a mx6 gave me a offer I couldn't refuse so I let it go.

The guy at work had it for years and could still have it today for all I know, he had it as his daily and to the best of my knowledge ñever had any problems.

I think that the biggest problem is if you dont service them VERY regularly you will have problems but its like anything, if you look after it and its just for the weekend then it cant be that bad surely.

Paben 28 July 2014 08:33 PM

A friend of mine had an RX7 when I owned a 996 Turbo. Not a lot to choose between them in general performance although the 996 was certainly flat out faster. The main difference was running costs; the Mazda cost a fortune in fuel (about 16mpg), oil (he was always topping it up) and maintenance costs; it lived in the dealership. The Porsche was much cheaper to run, and who would have thought that? But the Mazda was a hoot to drive and it handled like a go-kart. Unreliable as hell though.

BrownPantsRacing 28 July 2014 09:44 PM

Mine cost very little in maintenance, but if pushed I could get fuel consumption down to single figures. Never bothered me as it was my 4th car at the time and only used for fun. Spent a fortune upgrading bits instead.

It certainly beat quite a few cars that should have left it for dead. The chassis is so well balanced I've not owned a car I enjoyed drifting more. Always put a smile on my face. Until I put 19" wheels on it and the rear tyres started costing me £600 each at the time every 6 months. :)

NotFromSomerset 29 July 2014 01:15 AM

Previous car was a 450bhp rx7. 2 way diff, 4 inch straight through, project mu brakes etc

If something wasn't going wrong or trying to explode it was trying to kill me at every opportunity. I have significant hearing problems and am in abject poverty. Would love another one at some point

JamesDundee 29 July 2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11478278)
Previous car was a 450bhp rx7. 2 way diff, 4 inch straight through, project mu brakes etc

If something wasn't going wrong or trying to explode it was trying to kill me at every opportunity. I have significant hearing problems and am in abject poverty. Would love another one at some point

:lol1: That may have convinced me!