Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Bmw e46 325i on LPG thoughts and advice

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2014, 01:25 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bmw e46 325i on LPG thoughts and advice

Hi guys I'm going to look at a e46 325i SE this evening that has been converted to LPG. It's got 120,000 miles on with full service looks a tidy motor. I
really only want this for a run around and a bit of a hack.

I don't have any experience with bmw's or LPG.
So any advice, tips and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 17 July 2014, 01:42 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say don't be afraid of LPG.
But find out which system it is, and has it been serviced ever year.
Old 17 July 2014, 01:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

not sure on LPG, but 120k miles is just about finishing the run in period of a BMW,,, lol

check rear subframe for cracks (although more M series affected normal 3 series e46's do suffer with it), full history and well looked after, beyond that their all pretty good reliability wise. Also as long as you stay clear of dealers there not bad running costs wise either.
Old 17 July 2014, 07:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As above. E46 is an old car now...They are now getting out of their 10year corrosion warranty and yes the saloons and coupe seem to be suffering from the rear floorpan tearing/cracking due to failing/rusted spot welds around the subframe mountings. Nasty.

Rest of it is usual old cars stuff...sloppy suspension, wishbones, springs, shocks, etc. And the usual BMW longlife oil servicing causing them to sludge up - this causes the Vanos to become a bit lethargic and stop working below 1500rpm this affects MPG and low rpm performance (as the Vanos is used to allow internal EGR etc). It'll keep going and it won't break down though

We regularly see a 320i with a LPG system, and to be frank you wouldn't know from driving it (unless the LPG tank is empty, in which case it stumbles before auto-switching to petrol). God know what happens if the LPG part goes wrong though...the normal petrol injection stuff is the same though.

The M52 2.5 engine isn't the fastest thing...I owned a 325i automatic for a bit, the autobox drove me crazy...the gearing was too long, which just caused the thing to bog down. Fuel consumption was ok (28mpg in town, 35mpg motorway), but not brilliant for the performance...my R32 can match (and beat) that and thats a much quicker car.

SE spec seats aren't that comfy IMO. Manuals suffer from clutch/flywheel issues if driven by unsympathetic drivers (holding it on hills with the clutch etc). Autoboxes are OK, but a huge question remains on if the "lifetime" oil should be changed...if it were my car I would, but I see many ZF5HP19 boxes carrying on without any issues.

But other than that; you could buy ALOT worse (i.e anything French LOL).

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 July 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 17 July 2014, 10:25 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice lads, drove an hour to go view tonight, got within 2 miles of the kids house and he calls me to say it's just sold, the guys here now paying for it. quite annoying really after I had agreed to meet him at a certain time etc, I have no problem with him having interest from other parties, I know I would. But to not notify me that he's got someone else coming who may buy it etc, hang on and I'll let you know if I sell it etc etc..

The joys of buying used cars hey hi
Old 18 July 2014, 08:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

does take the pee a bit dunnit, a call to say, got another viewing before you, i'll ring you before you set off in case it sells, wouldn't hurt would it.
Old 18 July 2014, 11:20 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

I agree tidge, some people have very poor manners.
Old 18 July 2014, 11:48 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Cheers for the advice lads, drove an hour to go view tonight, got within 2 miles of the kids house and he calls me to say it's just sold, the guys here now paying for it. quite annoying really after I had agreed to meet him at a certain time etc, I have no problem with him having interest from other parties, I know I would. But to not notify me that he's got someone else coming who may buy it etc, hang on and I'll let you know if I sell it etc etc..

The joys of buying used cars hey hi

I know that feeling very well!! 3 occasions now this year