Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

In need of help please regarding new car.

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2014, 08:55 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of help please regarding new car.

Hi guys in need of some advice please.
Bought the other half an audi 80 on the 25/6/14 from a small dealer in poole, dorset
Paid £2750 with 3 months warranty and 12 months MOT.
Noticed a few problems with the car on the day we bought it, steering was pulling to the left quite bad(she didn't notice on test drive)
Liquid coming out of heater dials on dash and the front end was clunking.
Phoned dealer about problems and was told to return the car on two occasions to get problems corrected.

Knocking seems fixed, liquid was he spilt oil he said so he cleaned it up and he got the tracking done.

Drove home and the car is still pulling quite bad to the left, this was last night, the dealer suggested that I take it to get the tracking done as they may not have adjusted it correctly.

The misses went to drive the car tonight, first time since bringing it back from poole ( first time properly in fact)and now won't start, battery is fine, electrics fine so I'm assuming it's the starter motor, tried to ring the dealer and it rang once then said answer phone so tried on the mrs phone and it rang all the way to answer phone so I think he may have blocked me, tried again just now on mrs phone and it rang once then to answer phone( he had my mrs number as I left mine at home on first trip up) now his phone is off.
I'm stuck on what to do next, pls help, my other half is pulling her hair out.
Many thanks.
Old 03 July 2014, 09:03 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try with holding your number, But to be honest I`d be asking for money back.
Old 03 July 2014, 09:10 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Gaz says really, drive over there and get a refund in the morning, or tow it there!
Old 08 July 2014, 09:00 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

surely theres something in the law that can be used against him

Ring Citizens advice and ask, im sure you can do stuff, Did you pay bu Visa ? if so ring them, they may retract it.

Here ya go Google is your friend

Unlike with a private sale, any car sold by a garage has to be both roadworthy and fit for purpose unless specifically sold for spares or the like. Seems like the garage have fallen down on both counts. Your son in law has done the right thing in giving them the chance to put it right, unsuccessfully. Now he should demand his money back forthwith. If they refuse to play ball, Trading Standards will be very helpful.

Ring Trading standards im sure hell ring you
Old 08 July 2014, 05:47 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

I did manage to get hold of the trader in the end, he says he will fix the car(believed to be starter motor) but we have to pay low loader costs and pay for the part so approx another £300. This I refused as we are not liable for more costs, we had the car 8 days till breakdown,well actually he had the car for 3 days and 2 nights so actually had the car 5 days, we had 3mnths warranty with the garage.

Iv written him a letter rejecting the car and wanting a full refunds as the car is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act 1979(amended)
I have given him 14 days to act or we will go down the small claims court.
Old 08 July 2014, 07:11 PM
heresharry
Scooby Newbie

Bang on mate - I've done it twice with dealers - also returned a 3 month old new mk7 gti golf and managed to get a new car out of them - was a fight but it is possible if you know your stuff

Keep going!
Old 08 July 2014, 07:14 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by heresharry
Bang on mate - I've done it twice with dealers - also returned a 3 month old new mk7 gti golf and managed to get a new car out of them - was a fight but it is possible if you know your stuff

Keep going!
Cheers mate, tis very stressful though, it's the other halfs new car so she is quite upset, she has had to re insure her old car so costs are adding up.
We paid full asking price with a full mot and cam belt change.
Old 08 July 2014, 07:17 PM
heresharry
Scooby Newbie

Factor it all in - if he doesn't play ball - hit a lawyer up- collate damages estimate and send him the request - just make sure you document all communication and ensure you give him reasonable time to resolve