Smacs.....discussion on future meets

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2005, 06:31 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smacs.....discussion on future meets

Hello all,
Following from some of the incidents that have occurred on some outings,(not ours I might add) I`m proposing a meeting to discuss future conduct.

I thought it would be more appropriate than ranting on here.

I think being pro-active about this, rather than waiting until someone has a problem would be the way to go.
I would hope that all would attend.

How does the H and H sound... inside the pub...
dates /times to follow.

Names please:
1)*****
Old 25 March 2005, 07:53 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I am not sure what you are looking for here - accidents happen and will happen regardless of how much pre-planning and prevention we take.

We already do several things to limit problems - having radios is a good example - but how can we prevent the "over enthusiasm" of some on a run out? (I suspect that this is the reason for most incidents) We are all guilty of it.

I am sure we can discuss this at the next meet, but what benefit it will bring I will be interested to see.

(Sorry to be negative!)
Old 25 March 2005, 09:35 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean.... we have to be sure of each other and new people....
I`m quite happy with the regulars.... I dont know what others` perception of me is?

I thought it was worth bouncing a few ideas/thoughts about.

Old 26 March 2005, 08:31 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

F'in nutter
Old 26 March 2005, 11:29 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

Might of known..... off you...

:P

Whats the weather forcast for tues?
Old 26 March 2005, 05:31 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Cloudy with some sun - according to BBC website.

May have problems sourcing water on Tuesday - but I have a back-up plan. I tried using a bucket last week and what a mess that made.
Old 26 March 2005, 05:48 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

I need running water...
And electricity too.... fairly essential really....

I`ll bring my own buckets though..

LOL

Old 27 March 2005, 12:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

can I join in this discussion
just spotted this, been busy working
I agree with super really *****, there's only so much you can do to limit potential problems. As I said in the wyioc thread, there's only been 2 times when I've questioned someones ability on a run out with us.
Once was on the run over the snake with super, chaz and the other chap. The other chap overtook super on a bend, double whites, and blind!
Second was on the welsh run recently, you know the one I'm talking about!
Of all the times we've been out, I've had a few moments myself, and none of us are the best drivers in the world, so where do we start judging others?
Hopefully, in a few weeks, my instructor will be available, and people will take up the offer of some extra fast road tuition. Maybe membership of the club could be tied to an assesment by the instructor, with an appraisal at the end deciding on whether you were any good?
I think in some cases, especially for other area groups, an iq test wouldn't go amiss
chris.
Old 27 March 2005, 01:52 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I love the idea of an IQ test, but membership would be reduced to ZERO!

Driving test to join? Get a grip......

I think those who fit well with the current membership will come and be seen on a regular basis, while those who do not fit in will fall by the wayside, as the club will not be to their liking. Natural selection you could call it!

No need to impose rules that even some current members would not pass.
Old 27 March 2005, 02:22 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Careful now... we dont want to be the "elite"
No, I didnt want to dis anyone.... but surely its in our own interest to "vet" someone before they are welcomed on a regular basis.
No that sounds wrong as well.... but do you get what I`m aiming at...
We dont want Billy Big ***** thinking he can drive sooooooo much better than everyone else and that his Impreza has 320bhp because it got a backbox...
I`ve already met someone local to me who has that mentality, he said he`d seen me around but, that I never drive it fast!!
Oh and his car was a 320bhp weapon cos of the exhaust... erm ok...see you later.

I just thought it was something we never discuss.

Old 27 March 2005, 03:09 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

"vet" them first? On what criteria? Charging too much for electrical work?

If so, your membership is teatering on the brink!

Seriously, if you want to impose rules etc then the club would need to become something it is not. To some extent the only people who would need vetting is the likes of CW as he is the only one who seems to attend more than one meet every year!
Old 27 March 2005, 04:11 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Originally Posted by supertouring
I think those who fit well with the current membership will come and be seen on a regular basis, while those who do not fit in will fall by the wayside, as the club will not be to their liking. Natural selection you could call it!
I havent fallen by the wayside yet, as soon as I get another scooby I will return!!

I get ****** point but to be honest the old process of getting someone on a couple of runs to check out how they handle themselves has always worked well in the past.

There are inevitably going to be moments where you have a close encounter, I reckon everyone who has been on a meet or two will have experienced an "**** twitching" moment (and I'm not talking about CW and his gay abandon either!).

It is up to each individual owner/driver to make sure they keep within their own limits (and the cars). Those who dont adhere to this simple rule are a danger to themselves and others. I usually work on the basis that I only overtake where I know I can comfortably make it and can see far enough to do so safely, taking into account as much of the unexpected as possible.

So far most people I've met at SMACS meets over the years seem to have been of a like mind.

See you soon (i promise, honest!).

Beefy

Old 27 March 2005, 04:30 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing you soon Beefy,
I dont mean to sound out of place or judgemental....and I get the idea of natural selection too.
Its just that it may be worthwhile meeting with a newbie 1st, say in the pub for half an hour and discuss how we do things...
Prevention is surely better than sweeping up bits of Subaru or worse.
At the end of the day(I sound like Beckham), it is down to the individual how they drive, but I wouldnt like to associate myself with how things have been taking place on other outings etc.

I`ll buy a round as well FFS!(depending on how many turn up)
We all chat about our next mods and where we are going next, but, the main point is to make sure we all know what each is is likely to do on the road.

Old 27 March 2005, 08:30 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Be good to see you out soon beefy, things are coming full circle again, with tony and pete finally getting thier hands on scoobys after a sabitical.
We only need "badly drawn gav" to stop trying to sell his, and come out in it, or insure his missus, and she can come in his place
I think what we have in place, the whole meeting first with a small run seems to work quite well, so lets leave it at that. The thing is, we're not exactly bursting at the seams with new members are we?
Anyone up for a meet tomorrow night btw?
chris.
Old 28 March 2005, 08:07 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Off shopping today, so could be up for a run this evening. Post details here.
Old 28 March 2005, 08:54 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

usual details, 7:30pm ish. h&h, pub then drive, or drive then pub?
chris.
Old 28 March 2005, 03:59 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Drive - pub - drive? See you around 7:30.
Old 28 March 2005, 05:32 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Old 28 March 2005, 08:09 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Hi guys.

I saw this at the start and have been an interested 'lurker' over the past few days as it's an interesting subject. In fact we (as in the WYIOC) have also discussed something similar a few times ourselves as we too wanted to protect the clubs core members, new people wishing to join and our 'reputation'.
So, I hope you don't mind an impartial outside view?

I only know one or two of you and as I've never been to one of your meets, I can only go on our style in the hope that yours is similar. Over the past 12 months or so, we've settled on the 'come along and meet us principle'. Any 'cruise' lads have quickly seen that the average age is more akin to your 'experienced' driver With those seeking to destroy the odd car park, terrify the locals and to impress us with their 'Loudest BOV in the world' soon find out that the shandy drinking (if driving, but Stella if not), nice meal with the friendly laid back guys & gals at the pleasent monthly meet location, again gives the air of non-cruise non-car park shredding activities..

This means that people have come and people have gone.. We were not to their liking, so good luck to them on their search for their type of club. Plenty have stayed becuase they enjoyed the people and the club's way of doing things..

I don't think you can separate and exclude certain members that easily. I feel that the way you make the club work will do that naturally.

I don't think for one minute that we're angels, and our IQ on some evenings struggles, like the temperature, to get into double figures..but we've had our fair share of spirited drives, and we've had a few 'incidents', but they've been down to simple mistakes that really could happen to anyone with the car on a night out along unfamiliar roads... anyone doing something silly get's the pi55 extracted and we usually make a pool trophy from the bits scraped from the road. We've yet to have someone do something REALLY silly, but rest assured if they've not been filtered out before the incident, then they'll get our honest appraisal of their skills, intelligence and they'll be left in no doubt that behaviour that brings the club and us into disrepute won't be tolerated...

As we hold regular track days (plug, plug ), we feel that this helps us give the right impression that we do the silly stuff on the track.

Feel free to tell me to shove my non-SMACS comment where the sun don't shine, I won't mind, but if it helps a little then I'll join in on *****'s round!!

Cheers..

Last edited by Alan C; 28 March 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 28 March 2005, 09:28 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Alan,

your comments are appreciated, if only for the reason that they back up what I have been saying all along.

It is strange that recently many of the original SMACS members have returned to the fold, after being away for whatever reason, so we must be doing something right?

Dai
Old 28 March 2005, 10:33 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Hi mate. You not coming to the trackday?

This and my last post is really not meant to sound like I'm the god of club management...

But I agree that with people re-joining after a sebatical.. does mean the club's doing something right..

We had a week where we put out a flyer explaining that we'd had a club meet to discuss some trips to various rallies, Nurburgring, track car maybe some t-shirts & stickers.. general stuff over a beer. When I handed out the flyer it was as if we'd lost something by going all 'formal'. OUR club works so much better at the informal level.. we're not the SIDC where some form of management is necessary to keep such a large body going.. we're only 20+ cars after all.... admittadly with a good strong friendly base where the members are turning into really good friends.. We like it that way...

As the saying goes.. 'if it aint broke'.. In other words, I wont be handing out flyers again..
Old 28 March 2005, 10:57 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Alan, your comments are more than welcome on "our" post
I think your right in saying that both our clubs enjoy a very informal style. Take this evening for instance:
A comment by me promted super to reply to the invite for a drive tonight, I then received a text from madscientist to confirm it was still on. So the 3 of us met up, went for an excellent drive across cheshire, from an old route super had done ages ago, quick beer in mad's local, then back home
No drama, no flyers, barely a post on scoobynet, but grins all round for the roads tonight.
I have toyed with making it more formal in the past, check out the LADS group to see how that works, but have held back each time. I know super has got a bit peeved in the past with the lack of enthusiasm for some of our better planned runs, but again, the core have always turned up. And that is what counts. I've had my scooby 2 years now, and in that time have made some great friends across the whole of the country (your one of em m8 ) that to me is worth much more than being the president of the SOUTH MCR IMPREZA OWNERS CLUB with 50+ paid up members.
Long live the smacs, and may we always be just a little bit scatty and disorganized
Is your meet on this thursday? I may pop along.
chris.
Old 29 March 2005, 08:22 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Another friend? Cool, that makes 6 now!

Great comments too; and I agree completely. With adjectives like scatty & disorganised, the club does sound very similar to ours

As you've probably seen, we've just come out of our 'tinkering' period as we even discussed a name change. But the general consensus was leave it all be.

Next meet? Yup, Thursday it is... would be great to see you.. We're also having a run across to Buckles in April / May to hopefully meet up with some York guys, so we'll definately have to arrange a similar halfway SMACS / WYIOC meet?
Old 29 March 2005, 09:20 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

6 friends, you lucky bugger!
Will try to make thursday, can you pm me the postcode of the meet place, then I can work out how long it will take me to get to work for 9:30pm
chris.
Old 29 March 2005, 11:24 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Chris, no need to PM mate, it's common knowledge.. All welcome

7:30 @

The Trading Post
Commerce Park,
Pioneer Way,
Whitwood,
Castleford.
WF105PE

YHPM with my mobile..
Old 29 March 2005, 12:03 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

cheers, you have pm anyway
Old 29 March 2005, 12:33 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Jesus,

This is all getting a bit serious, what happened to our kind friendly club!

I have only been missing from action for a few months due to work commitments and all seems to have changed!

Hope it returns to the friendly club i know and love!

Last edited by Andy S.; 29 March 2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

hey andy, if you've got time to post on here, you've got time to phone curborough and give me the dates
come on m8, get it sorted

chris.
Old 29 March 2005, 07:22 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I tried him before but he is on holiday!

PS I am over £100 down on the last 2 Curborough Days!
Old 29 March 2005, 07:41 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

exactly why you need me to organise it. there is no way anyone is getting on track till I have the money in my hand.
no excuses. no money, no track time, simple.
and if anyone comes who owes you, they have to pay what they owe + the cost on the day before they get on the track. sorted.
let me know as soon as you've been able to get hold of the guy.
chris.

Quick Reply: Smacs.....discussion on future meets