Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Please help recommend me a mountain bike

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2014, 12:52 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Please help recommend me a mountain bike

Hi guys Ive recently decide to buy myself a decent entry level mountain bike in order to get out a bit more and I really would like to get my fitness up quite a bit.
I've borrowed a couple of bikes from friends recently to see how I get on, one a 26" kube the other a 29" out of the 2 I preferred the 29" although it took a little but more to get it moving in places it just felt better over the rough stuff and a bit better suited to my size I think.

I'm not overly tall, 6"1 however I am quite long in the legs and arms.
So ideally a 29" wheel, hard tail, l or xl frame.

Ive just been doing some trails recently with a lot of up and down work, so nothing too extreme. Please bear with me I not massively clued up on bikes, just looking for something to enjoy that I'm not going to outgrow.
I've got a budget of around 650/700, not massive I know. I think it's quite a healthy budget but I'm no pro.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, ideally if you have links to the model I which you recommend that would be really helpful.

Thank you
Old 11 March 2014, 09:53 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably on the right track with a Cube. Just bought one myself, admittedly not a mountain bike but a hybrid. For the money there was nothing that came close from other brands. £750 for a double butted aluminum frame with an nice anodised finish, mostly Shimano Deore LX components (30 gears), hollowtec crank, disc brakes, etc. Pleased with it so far. I'm 6ft3 and ended up with the biggest frame size so one down from the largest would probably suit you.
Old 11 March 2014, 04:06 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Hate myself for saying this but if you're not a badge snob and want a decent spec for budget money, try Halfrauds!

Their Carrera range is highly thought of when you look at bang for buck!
Old 11 March 2014, 04:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Try and get a 2013 bike if you can; massive reductions.

I'd also try some out; sizes vary a lot (some have a long top tube, some are shorter, etc). I wouldn't restrict yourself to brands as most are fine - Evans is a good place to start looking but really do try and try in person; most shops will at least try and price match.

Your budget will get you something perfectly decent.
Old 11 March 2014, 04:19 PM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a look at Evans Cycles - I brought my bike from them and other than it turning up fitted with the front forks the wrong way around, it was good! Nice and cheap too!
Old 11 March 2014, 04:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Like Matteeboy says, get to a shop and try a few, different frames suit different folks. which is where good shops with knowledgeable staff come into their own

Evans are good, I've also found Rutland Cycles good to deal with in the past too
Old 11 March 2014, 06:10 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Like Matteeboy says, get to a shop and try a few, different frames suit different folks. which is where good shops with knowledgeable staff come into their own
All well and good but if you're a lanky git like me then you'll find most if not all bike shops don't stock bikes in the biggest frame sizes. They'll order one in for you provided you put a deposit down first but then that pretty much commits you to buying it.

That said Evans are good, as are Leisure Lakes and as mentioned if you can find a 2013 model then you'll get a good reduction. Alas they'd sold off all the 2013 bikes that I was interested in by the time I'd decided what I wanted

As for Halfrauds, the Boardman stuff is supposed to be fairly good but you can generally get a better specd. bike elsewhere for the same money. The Carrera stuff is not so good, generally the frames are quite heavy.

Anyway your budget will get you a decent hardtail MTB from a reputable manufacturer no problem.
Old 11 March 2014, 06:29 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This site usually has some good discounts on last years bikes.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s15...spension-29ers