Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 - question?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2014, 11:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 - question?

Obviously we all know about the missing Malaysian 777 and the fact it disappeared from radar with no distress call could be indicative of it being blown up.

Speculation (and at the moment it is just specualtion) centres around these two passengers who bought tickets together, but were travelling on stolen passports.

From what I understand these passports were stolen between 6 and 24 months ago.

Now I have travelled quite a bit and been to a good few more obscure countries, but in the last 10 years I am yet to encounter a check-in/immigration system where your passport does not get read by computer!

Surely these passprts would flag up as being stolen/cancelled/invalid so how did they use them or am I missing something?
Old 09 March 2014, 12:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They either don't have biometrics there or the other person hasn't used / reported it missing ?
Old 09 March 2014, 12:51 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

It all seems a bit weird doesn't it. I wondered how they knew the passports were stolen in the first place, surely the passports are with the plane and missing.

So, maybe they didn't check the passports at the time of boarding/check in but subsequent checks have shown them to be stolen.

Either way, it's a big c0ckup!
Old 09 March 2014, 12:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't somebody be claiming responsibility by now btw
Old 09 March 2014, 12:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
They either don't have biometrics there or the other person hasn't used / reported it missing ?
Kuala Lumpar airport is uber modern, definitely has biometrics, I have been there many times.

Both passports reported as stolen, one several months ago, the other 2 years ago!
Old 09 March 2014, 12:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
It all seems a bit weird doesn't it. I wondered how they knew the passports were stolen in the first place, surely the passports are with the plane and missing.

So, maybe they didn't check the passports at the time of boarding/check in but subsequent checks have shown them to be stolen.

Either way, it's a big c0ckup!
The people who the passports originally belonged to were named as missing by the airline, but both confirmed they weren't on the plane.

As above passports reported stolen ages ago.

I am missing something obvious or we are not getting the correct story from the media or the airline!
Old 09 March 2014, 01:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Obviously we all know about the missing Malaysian 777 and the fact it disappeared from radar with no distress call could be indicative of it being blown up.

Speculation (and at the moment it is just specualtion) centres around these two passengers who bought tickets together, but were travelling on stolen passports.

From what I understand these passports were stolen between 6 and 24 months ago.

Now I have travelled quite a bit and been to a good few more obscure countries, but in the last 10 years I am yet to encounter a check-in/immigration system where your passport does not get read by computer!

Surely these passprts would flag up as being stolen/cancelled/invalid so how did they use them or am I missing something?

I did wonder that also.

The only place my passport HASN'T been scanned is on entry and exit from the UK via BHX. Its only been the past 5 years they started doing it here. Before that it was always a quick glance of the picture and wave through, which always concerned me as I knew they had the equipment but were negating to use it. During that time I could be anyone, doing anything and no authority would have stopped me.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09 March 2014, 01:31 PM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

It's certainly unusual, can't help but wonder if it's sitting in a hangar or field/desert somewhere. Although I'm not sure which outcome is the more distressing, a mass loss of life due to an unforeseen mechanical / structural failure or a mass kidnapping.
Old 09 March 2014, 01:47 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The BBC is reporting that some passengers checked in luggage but didn't make the flight, naturally their luggage was removed.
They are very luck people unless of course there's more to it.

Nik.
Old 09 March 2014, 01:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
The BBC is reporting that some passengers checked in luggage but didn't make the flight, naturally their luggage was removed.
They are very luck people unless of course there's more to it.

Nik.
They may want to take notice of the case of Johanna Ganthaler.

She was an Italian woman who missed the AF447 flight from Brazil to Paris in May 2009 becuase she was late arriving at the airport. The flight of course disappeared en route with the loss of all passengers and crew.

Some 3 weeks later Johanna was killed in a car crash in Austria.... very 'Final Destination'
Old 09 March 2014, 02:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Both these passengers with 'stolen passports' had tickets with consecutive numbers apparently.

At the risk of jumping the gun they could have blown it up.
Old 09 March 2014, 02:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Both these passengers with 'stolen passports' had tickets with consecutive numbers apparently.

At the risk of jumping the gun they could have blown it up.
That's where the investigation is heading! Would still ike to know how they got on the plane!
Old 09 March 2014, 02:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yep, without any mayday. The only presumption left is a massive break up of the aircraft whilst it was in the air.

In this day and age of communications, planes just don't disappear without warning.
Old 09 March 2014, 02:34 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look on here, all the rumour and conspiracy theories you could ever dream up have been discussed in detail.
Very knowledgable website, but when disasters like this happen the resulting threads turn into a bit of a madhouse.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...tact-lost.html
Old 09 March 2014, 02:41 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

44 pages of information that I haven't got a clue about. I can't image the average forum reader to have a look through all of that gumph!
Old 09 March 2014, 08:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

How the stolen passports were used

Still doesn't really explain it except to say they weren't screend..... well why not?

Every time I have checked in a Kuala Lumpar my passport has been stuck in a computer and read. Something is not adding up here!
Old 09 March 2014, 09:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 09 March 2014, 09:05 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
How the stolen passports were used

Still doesn't really explain it except to say they weren't screend..... well why not?

Every time I have checked in a Kuala Lumpar my passport has been stuck in a computer and read. Something is not adding up here!
It certainly is suspicious
Old 09 March 2014, 10:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

would it not have to be a huge bomb to blow it up instantly without a single word being sent by the pilot?
Old 09 March 2014, 10:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Someone could have grabbed the controls and pointed it nose down into the ocean. Hence why no debris field; it just crashed in one piece and now sits on the ocean floor (after breaking up in several pieces).
Old 09 March 2014, 10:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Depressed pilot(s)
Old 09 March 2014, 10:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Someone could have grabbed the controls and pointed it nose down into the ocean. Hence why no debris field; it just crashed in one piece and now sits on the ocean floor (after breaking up in several pieces).

Devastating occurring for the relatives of the missing people on the plane. Hope the searchers find asap where the plane is (probably at the bottom of the deep sea, as you say). They will need time to come up with some trustworthy possibilities for the reasons for this to happen.

My thoughts go out to the relatives.

I don't know how those two could travel on others' lost/stolen/cancelled/invalid passports. They shouldn't have been allowed to board but held and questioned instead.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:44 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Hitting the sea at 300-400 mph would like hitting concrete. There would have debris, bodies, seat foam, insulation, luggage cases and aviation fuel slick floating on the surface can be easily spotted.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Except the radar (if in range) and transponders on the aircraft would have shown this.... apparently it just vanished although there is some discussion over whether it turned round according to the radar trace ... something that seems unlikely given no contact from the crew and the fact the reports all say the radar shows it 'may' have turned round... either it did or it didn't surely! I can't help but feel this is being thrown in to further muddy the waters!

What worries me about these sort of events (and I know I will get called a conspiracy theorist for this) is that I don't think we are always told the truth. The official explanation about AF447 in 2009 expects us to believe that 3 fully trained pilots working for a reputable airline repeatedly ignored stall warnings both visual and audible and overrode safety systems in a state of the art Airbus 330 when a simple point the nose at 5 degreees above the horizon and the plane will do the rest fix was avaialble for when sensors or systems go down.

As for people boarding the Malaysian aircraft without passport checks, while that is worrying in itself, one has to wonder how they knew the passports would not be checked. You don't try to board a flight with a fake passport on the off chance you don't get arrested do you?

There's something not right here IMO!
Old 09 March 2014, 10:49 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Lots of questions with this one:

No real idea of where it went down - despite good radar in the area (its a major area for military activity)

If it blew up or broke up radar would show this also as multi tracks.

No debris field as of yet (planes break up and leave a lot of bits floating for days / weeks after) despite a fairly small search area.

No sightings on fire / lights etc - the area is very busy for air traffic and there would have been lots of other aircraft in the area - something on fire would have been seen by several aircraft (Wx was excellent)

No mayday.

Sus. Pax activity including stolen passports.

Employees of large electronics company on board.

Very reliable aircraft type with ultra strong design and reliable engines (if you exclude the Heathrow incident!)

No word from Boeing about data downlink from aircraft which would give some idea of what happened.

So, all very strange - lots of questions - lots of different ways it could have gone down but these seem to be contradicted by other facts - the bomb theory is a good one but there would be a huge debris field, plus lots of pilots would have seen it.

I have a feeling we might see another real strange outcome perhaps similar to AF447 - in that it may take a long, long time to get the real cause.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:49 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
would it not have to be a huge bomb to blow it up instantly without a single word being sent by the pilot?
The Lockerbie bombing would indicate that this is plausible.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:51 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it turned round and landed and is stuck waiting to taxi......

Mick
Old 09 March 2014, 11:04 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The sun is just coming up out there now, so I think there might be some more news by morning GMT. If not its starting to look even more odd!

I also think its very odd that they wheeled out this Italian guy if that was me I would not be going on camera that's for sure! They found the guy within 24 hours and got him on TV....

Also the latest search area is *south* of the point of origin?!
Old 10 March 2014, 02:34 AM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Regarding the passport 'flagging' issue, I understood that they are marked as stolen on the Interpol database but that many airports do not check against said database.

Can't believe stipete hasn't surfaced yet ;o)
Old 10 March 2014, 03:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
Regarding the passport 'flagging' issue, I understood that they are marked as stolen on the Interpol database but that many airports do not check against said database.

Can't believe stipete hasn't surfaced yet ;o)
Yes I just read that myself. It's jawdropping really. We go thorugh all this scanning and bag searching crap over and over in the name of security and we now find that literally millions of peple are flying around with their passports unchecked.

It's like they learned nothing from 9/11

Quick Reply: Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 - question?