Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

road tax

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2014, 12:17 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default road tax

i have just bought a motorbike and i want to tax it for the 1st of February can i do it today to start 1st of feb ? thanks
Old 29 January 2014, 12:20 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if the tax is still valid until the end of the month, otherwise you still have to start it from the day you tax it therefore losing out on nearly a month!
Old 29 January 2014, 12:24 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

what i mean is can i tax it today ready for saturday or wait until saturday to do it
Old 29 January 2014, 12:28 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

If your bike has a valid tax disc that runs out at the end of this month then you can do what you are saying. If the bike is not taxed then you will have to wait because if you go today they will start the tax for today therefore you are paying for a months worth of tax and only getting a couple of days use out of it.
Old 29 January 2014, 12:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
what i mean is can i tax it today ready for saturday or wait until saturday to do it
If it is currently taxed and due to expire at the end of Jan you can get a tax disc today that starts the 1st Feb i.e. to expire 31 Jul (6 months) or 31 Jan (12 months) today.

If it is currently untaxed you will have to wait until Saturday to tax it or lose nearly a whole month as a tax disc bought today would expire 30 Jun or 31 Dec

Edit: as Waterboy says above (posted same time)

Last edited by f1_fan; 29 January 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 29 January 2014, 12:32 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheWaterboy
If your bike has a valid tax disc that runs out at the end of this month then you can do what you are saying. If the bike is not taxed then you will have to wait because if you go today they will start the tax for today therefore you are paying for a months worth of tax and only getting a couple of days use out of it.
just found this , you can tax it 2 days in advance if the the vehicle has no tax or is on sorn

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/how-to-ta...out-a-reminder

If your tax is due to run out at the end of a month, you can renew it from the fifth day of that month. For example: your tax is due to expire 30 September, you can renew it anytime from 5 September.
If your vehicle has been untaxed because you've just bought it, or a SORN is in force, you can tax back to the first day of the month in which you apply to allow immediate use of the vehicle on a public road. However, if you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you can only tax your vehicle two days in advance of the beginning of the next month. For example: you acquire the vehicle on 16 September, you can tax the vehicle from 28 September for use on a public road from 01 October.
Old 29 January 2014, 12:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And valid MOT and insurance in your name of course.
Safe riding, dl
Old 29 January 2014, 01:03 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
just found this , you can tax it 2 days in advance if the the vehicle has no tax or is on sorn

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/how-to-ta...out-a-reminder

If your tax is due to run out at the end of a month, you can renew it from the fifth day of that month. For example: your tax is due to expire 30 September, you can renew it anytime from 5 September.
If your vehicle has been untaxed because you've just bought it, or a SORN is in force, you can tax back to the first day of the month in which you apply to allow immediate use of the vehicle on a public road. However, if you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you can only tax your vehicle two days in advance of the beginning of the next month. For example: you acquire the vehicle on 16 September, you can tax the vehicle from 28 September for use on a public road from 01 October.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of this
Old 29 January 2014, 01:51 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
And valid MOT and insurance in your name of course.
Safe riding, dl
yep got it all ready, said bike