Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Labour to re-introduce 50% Tax Rate ...

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2014, 05:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Labour to re-introduce 50% Tax Rate ...

... that's me going to pay more into Labours coffers!

However, there are plenty of 13 year old mothers in Liverpool who need my help - can't moan, really, can you?
Old 25 January 2014, 10:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's only going to be the start of their war on the rich.

Glad I'm not you, Pete
Old 25 January 2014, 11:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

News put loads of political professionals criticising this future pointer from the Labour. Regardless, IMO Ed may have butterflies in his head, he looks less dodgy than that oily George Osborne.
Old 25 January 2014, 11:29 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” ― Winston S. Churchill

Tony Abbott the Aussie PM hit the nail on the head for me last week at the G20 calling for less government and more governance, that business was something to be proud of and that profit is not a dirty word.

Millibrain and his cohorts don't get this, but then sadly the morons that vote for him don't either. I guess everybody getting the right to vote is both the positive and the negative of a democray

Oh, and Ed - I can really see the high tax rates having a positive impact in France with Hollande's soak the rich policy...

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 25 January 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 26 January 2014, 11:22 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Populist short term politics playing to the jealousy of the morons that vote. What's the highest tax rate in USA which thrives on low tax rates?

Labour may also borrow for infrastructure development. So how does a road bypass generate real money to pay off the loan? More PFI, but called something else perhaps, what a winner that was

Personally I would cancel/postpone HS2 and put some more concrete (heated) down at Gatwick for an extra runway and be done with it.

I would also cancel Trident but I know that is more controversial.

dl
Old 26 January 2014, 11:36 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The 1% of the population who are in the top tax bracket account for a third of the total Income Tax revenue for the whole of the UK in 2012. I think those in the 1% are paying their fair share already.
Old 26 January 2014, 11:40 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I just want vat back to 17.% please
Old 26 January 2014, 12:13 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing more than a political gesture. It's not like somebody earning 100k+ isn't paying enough f'ing tax already.
Old 26 January 2014, 12:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's another policy aim the "haters" in the electorate. This one, obviously, is aimed at those who hate the rich and blame them for THEIR mess, or are just jealous.

The Tories are good at this, though so far they have the populace hating the public sector, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the elderly.

5-1 to the Tories then.........
Old 26 January 2014, 12:38 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I love Bollocks latest from this morning, "The shadow chancellor said it was a "fair" measure to be used while Labour reduced the "huge" deficit it would inherit if it won the 2015 election."

The deficit that would be even bigger if that muppet was in charge, because all he's moaned about over the last couple of years or so is that the current government has cut too deep.

I guess I'm fortunate, but I've not actually seen any impact of the cuts so far, yet listen to near on daily rants from local authorities about how much of their budgets have been cut. Whilst I'm not naive enough to believe the cuts are not having an impact somewhere, it just goes to show how wasteful councils are.
Old 26 January 2014, 06:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Tories say that the 50% Tax cost more to operate than the amount collected ..... that may be true, BUT, the rich don't pay anything like the Tax they should anyway!

Take someone working at our place on £1,750 a day - not unusual - they are self employed and a Company themselves ..... they pay themselves the min wage, they pay their wife the min wage, they run an expensive lease car, they claim back VAT and other allowances ........ at the end of the year they pay just 18% Corporation Tax and the rest of the 'profits'.

It's those who are 'just' in the higher rate tax band who are hardest hit - their marginal tax rate is huge .... and they don't earn enough to employ an Accountant.
Old 26 January 2014, 06:52 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
yet listen to near on daily rants from local authorities about how much of their budgets have been cut. Whilst I'm not naive enough to believe the cuts are not having an impact somewhere, it just goes to show how wasteful councils are.
Nail on head, traditionally employed the half witted, lazy and incompetents, with little or zero basic common sense. And no come back on them for wasting money (as they thinks its a never ending pit of money). Most need a kick up the backside in my eyes.

And before someone has a go I've previously been employed full time by a government organisation and left, then worked as a contractor for a few different local councils. The money wasted on stupid items / written off project (that obviously would not work) is shameful.

Richard
Old 26 January 2014, 06:54 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Tories say that the 50% Tax cost more to operate than the amount collected ..... that may be true, BUT, the rich don't pay anything like the Tax they should anyway!

Take someone working at our place on £1,750 a day - not unusual - they are self employed and a Company themselves ..... they pay themselves the min wage, they pay their wife the min wage, they run an expensive lease car, they claim back VAT and other allowances ........ at the end of the year they pay just 18% Corporation Tax and the rest of the 'profits'.

It's those who are 'just' in the higher rate tax band who are hardest hit - their marginal tax rate is huge .... and they don't earn enough to employ an Accountant.
Those that are just in the higher band and are PAYE are even harder hit - no room for avoiding tax legitimately.
Old 26 January 2014, 06:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
The money wasted on stupid items / written off project (that obviously would not work) is shameful.

Richard
Like this Labour project?

http://www.nottinghampost.com/WASTE/...ail/story.html
Old 26 January 2014, 08:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

they pay just 18% Corporation Tax and the rest of the 'profits'.
20% in most cases.
Old 27 January 2014, 05:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Those that are just in the higher band and are PAYE are even harder hit - no room for avoiding tax legitimately.
Plough the 'extra' into your pension ....... being on the borderline tax is easy to get a huge benefit. Every £60 you pay into your Pension pot, the taxman adds £40 ...... no brainer.
Old 28 January 2014, 01:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” ― Winston S. Churchill
Yet there was no income tax until about 1800 or so. Like it or not, Capitalism seems to require a big state and the difference between Tories and Labour is really just a cigarette paper when viewed from a distance.
Old 28 January 2014, 01:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Oh **** off Pete FFS. 'Not unusual'?! I'm sure in this sort of post last year you were saying things like 1000 a day now it's 1,750?! Typical pslewis bragging post by association.

Anyway I thought it wasn't so easy to cheat the tax man with that sort of self-employed scam? I can't remember the exact reason now though. One pays income tax on dividend payments IIRC. You still have to move the 'profit' into your own bank account.
Old 28 January 2014, 03:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Oh **** off Pete FFS. 'Not unusual'?! I'm sure in this sort of post last year you were saying things like 1000 a day now it's 1,750?! Typical pslewis bragging post by association.

Anyway I thought it wasn't so easy to cheat the tax man with that sort of self-employed scam? I can't remember the exact reason now though. One pays income tax on dividend payments IIRC. You still have to move the 'profit' into your own bank account.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-2095909/How-pay-21-tax-100-000-income-child-benefit--IR35-rules-explained.html
Old 28 January 2014, 03:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-2095909/How-pay-21-tax-100-000-income-child-benefit--IR35-rules-explained.html
Looks like a highly muddled and grey area to me, with potential to be investigated by HMRC and classed as being in 'disguised employment'. But it does seem that people are avoiding tax this way.
Old 28 January 2014, 03:22 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Nothing more than a political gesture. It's not like somebody earning 100k+ isn't paying enough f'ing tax already.
Know how this feels. Seems unfair for small businesses
Old 28 January 2014, 07:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Looks like a highly muddled and grey area to me, with potential to be investigated by HMRC and classed as being in 'disguised employment'. But it does seem that people are avoiding tax this way.
“No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow – and quite rightly – to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is, in like manner, entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.” - Lord Clyde
Old 28 January 2014, 08:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

when Lord Clyde said that, women had just got the vote
Old 28 January 2014, 08:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Plough the 'extra' into your pension ....... being on the borderline tax is easy to get a huge benefit. Every £60 you pay into your Pension pot, the taxman adds £40 ...... no brainer.
That door is closing with annual and lifetime allowances being rapidly reduced.

Re corporation tax, aren't some forgetting that the dividends are taxed too?
Old 28 January 2014, 08:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 for the point about how well this sort of nonsense is working out in France, where they've just this week announced another record-breaking unemployment high, and Francois Hollande has the lowest approval rating of any sitting President since the war. Pretty impressive work, for a guy who's not even two full years into his seven year term
Old 28 January 2014, 09:33 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
when Lord Clyde said that, women had just got the vote
Yes and PSL was around to witness that historic event too.
Old 28 January 2014, 09:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
+1 for the point about how well this sort of nonsense is working out in France, where they've just this week announced another record-breaking unemployment high, and Francois Hollande has the lowest approval rating of any sitting President since the war. Pretty impressive work, for a guy who's not even two full years into his seven year term
Er... the high tax rate there is 75% not 50% and there are many other factors for the problems in France... but I guess it suits greedy people to use this in their argument as it suits their agenda!
Old 28 January 2014, 10:42 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Er... the high tax rate there is 75% not 50% and there are many other factors for the problems in France... but I guess it suits greedy people to use this in their argument as it suits their agenda!
Labour's policy would have taken us down a very similar path, more borrowing, more spending, higher taxes, bigger deficit. Mili-***** have changed their tune recently, no longer do they go on about austerity and harsh and fast cuts of the Tories or a flat lining economy. Now we hear is that if and when Labour get voted in, they'll be spending years "fixing" the economic mess that the last Government left behind. But hang on, we've already heard this from the Tories. One thing we've learned about team Mili-***** is that they've not learned anything from their mistakes of the past.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought anyone wanting to win an election would be pushing for tax cuts for all.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:28 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'd have thought anyone wanting to win an election would be pushing for tax cuts for all.
As long as it is 'One person, one vote' the easiest way to win an election will always be to buy off the lowest common denominator. It's cheaper and there is a herd mentality.

There is one caveat of course.
And that involves ensuring they actually do vote at all.

Quick Reply: Labour to re-introduce 50% Tax Rate ...