Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are Muslims allowed to sell alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2013, 02:38 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Muslims allowed to sell alcohol?

http://news.sky.com/story/1186301/m-...lcohol-refusal

Not according to this guy's answer....

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=750&CATE=115

....or the many Muslim owned grocers and restaurants without too much of a problem.

Maybe she didn't want to work on the tills in the food department as it always seems to be the busiest department whatever the time of year.

I bet she doesn't have a problem accepting her wages, part of which will be from alcohol sales.
Old 23 December 2013, 02:53 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Yep, I was waiting for this story to appear on here. I just wish that people who feel so offended about their own job and the management that support them would just die and leave the rest of is alone.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
http://news.sky.com/story/1186301/m-...lcohol-refusal

Maybe she didn't want to work on the tills in the food department as it always seems to be the busiest department whatever the time of year.

:
Or maybe people should just get on with their lives.

If its her religious beliefs, and M and S knew that, its their fault as an employer. Nobody elses business.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:04 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
its their fault as an employer. Nobody elses business.
Bullsh1t, it's her fault for not saying she had a problem with it.

The Asian guy with the shop along the road from me sells booze so it's an individual thing at the end of the day.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:11 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

If any Muslim with a mortgage has a problem handling booze or pork then they are being very hypocritical.

Paying and receiving interest is a bigger sin than drinking booze/pork.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:15 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaid
If any Muslim with a mortgage has a problem handling booze or pork then they are being very hypocritical.

Paying and receiving interest is a bigger sin than drinking booze/pork.
I guess it's just down to how devout a person is about their religion I suppose.

I remember a few months back a footballer refusing to wear a football top because they we're being sponsored by a gambling company or something.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk

The Asian guy with the shop along the road from me sells booze so it's an individual thing at the end of the day.
Did she tell them, I don't know.

Just another.non story.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:20 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like most muslim stuff, manipulated to suit the situation.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:25 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

its their fault as an employer.
Did she tell them, I don't know.

Then how can it be their fault as an employer if she hasn't told them?

I'm seeing this more and more nowadays, people willing to blame their employers and anybody else they can for their own lack of brains.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:27 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk

Exactly.

If you had a problem at work,where you couldn't do certain tasks,you would have a talk to whoever is in charge..
Old 23 December 2013, 03:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

As ever we don't know the full facts. Did she tell M & S? We don't know therefore we don't really know who is at fault.

At the end ofthe day it's just one person's views and beliefs in what her religion means to her, but at least it's given us a SN tradition ... The Christmas Muslim Bashing Thread

Now where's mrmadcap as I am sure he will have a contribution to make here?
Old 23 December 2013, 03:35 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Answered the question with your own link, end thread surely
Old 23 December 2013, 03:39 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
As ever we don't know the full facts. Did she tell M & S? We don't know therefore we don't really know who is at fault.

At the end ofthe day it's just one person's views and beliefs in what her religion means to her, but at least it's given us a SN tradition ... The Christmas Muslim Bashing Thread

Now where's mrmadcap as I am sure he will have a contribution to make here?
Well my local Muslim store sells Christmas trees and most Muslim families around where I live have lights and decorations.
Old 23 December 2013, 03:40 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

+1 banny
Old 23 December 2013, 03:40 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Without wanting to get flamed surely religious beliefs have no correlation in the work place. what I mean is if someone’s own beliefs stop them doing their job they are not fit to be doing that kind of work!

Why should organisations/employers allow an individuals beliefs stop them doing parts of what they are contracted to do is beyond me.

It's not as if it's even an allergy it's a choice!
Old 23 December 2013, 03:47 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

just like smoking is a choice? although i wouldnt have done what the lady did, m&s wouldnt have apologised if she hadnt have told them beforehand so fair play to her.. its not her fault. the link the person posted explains islamic stance..

as for not fit for the job.. lol u should see half the people i work with who cant fricking work without a cig break every 90mins for 10mins, along with a must have coffee or relentless in morning otherwise they cant function.. leaving others to deal with their workload.. so yeah i agree they are not fit for doing this work, because they have to get up early and have a smoking addition.. sack these lot too for me while your at it
Old 23 December 2013, 03:50 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by specialx
Without wanting to get flamed surely religious beliefs have no correlation in the work place. what I mean is if someone’s own beliefs stop them doing their job they are not fit to be doing that kind of work!

Why should organisations/employers allow an individuals beliefs stop them doing parts of what they are contracted to do is beyond me.

It's not as if it's even an allergy it's a choice!
As a Muslim I agree with the above and as a Muslim employing none muslim staff I also try to accommodate any needs of my employes. We treat our none Muslim staff better than our Muslim staff. Our none Muslim staff get holidays for both Christmas and Eid and our Muslim Staff only get Eid off.

If your that religious then why apply for the Job in the first place. However this whole story has been blown out of proportion. How on earth does a dumb story like this make it on the news?????

Last edited by juggers; 23 December 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 23 December 2013, 04:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think like most of these things it is blown up by the Daily Wail or whatever into "Uppity Muslim refuses to sell good, honest British, White, Middle class person some lovely good old British Brown Beer"

I think the employee on question just needs to be kept away from the food section, its full of non Halal, Haraam type stuff like Pork and Alcohol, probably easier just to deploy her on home furnishings or something.

That said, it does seem to be a very grey area, I have been in many Muslim owned shops that have an excellent wine and spirit section, not sure where handling it and selling it to infidels fits in, the product is in a bottle and is sealed, I am sure the Koran is all about the drinking of it, there are lots of Muslim medical people how do they deal with all the alcohol based substances in that area, or those who use any alcohol in their job, even us whiteys can sometimes stop long enough and not drink all the paint thinners and alcohol hand rub !
Old 23 December 2013, 04:19 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Religion FTW ! Social control for stupid ***** since forever
Old 23 December 2013, 04:30 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

It's surprising how affluence has made some people so devout. As the saying goes you won't find any vegetarians in a famine.......
Old 23 December 2013, 04:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
It's surprising how affluence has made some people so devout. As the saying goes you won't find any vegetarians in a famine.......
^ Spot on Across all religions it's amazing how affluence affords you such pedantic principles with which to repress others less fortunate.
Old 23 December 2013, 04:35 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think like most of these things it is blown up by the Daily Wail or whatever into "Uppity Muslim refuses to sell good, honest British, White, Middle class person some lovely good old British Brown Beer"

I think the employee on question just needs to be kept away from the food section, its full of non Halal, Haraam type stuff like Pork and Alcohol, probably easier just to deploy her on home furnishings or something.

That said, it does seem to be a very grey area, I have been in many Muslim owned shops that have an excellent wine and spirit section, not sure where handling it and selling it to infidels fits in, the product is in a bottle and is sealed, I am sure the Koran is all about the drinking of it, there are lots of Muslim medical people how do they deal with all the alcohol based substances in that area, or those who use any alcohol in their job, even us whiteys can sometimes stop long enough and not drink all the paint thinners and alcohol hand rub !
Its not a grey area.. its completely forbidden. A muslim shoudlnt be selling it..the money earned from it is unlawful. i dont think i have come accross any muslim who says its allowed..

this hadith comes to mind.. Anas ibn Malik narrated, "Rasoolullah cursed ten people in connection with wine: the wine-presser, the one who has it pressed, the one who drinks it, the one who conveys it, the one to whom it is conveyed, the one who serves it, the one who sells it, the one who benefits from the price paid for it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought." (Tirmidhi)

in a non muslim business where a variety of stuff is sold. its more to do with where the bulk of the sales come from as to whether your income from it would be permissible or not. like the link in first post says.. you can work at the checkout but obv hate the items in your heart.

obv thers some exceptions.. i.e. for medicinal purposes etc. or you are the only earner in the household, then you can take a forbidden job etc. but make every effort to find alternative asap.

same with if u were dying of hunger you can eat pork etc.

Last edited by eggy790; 23 December 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 23 December 2013, 06:29 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Answered the question with your own link, end thread surely
Originally Posted by eggy790
+1 banny
See below.

Originally Posted by eggy790
Its not a grey area.. its completely forbidden. A muslim shoudlnt be selling it..the money earned from it is unlawful. i dont think i have come accross any muslim who says its allowed..
So you disagree with Faraz Rabbani?

If the woman in question did not know M&S sold alcohol she is too stupid to have been given the job, or, her beliefs are selective. At least she kept her job unlike these two...viewer discretion is advised as both links are from the D**** M***......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Saturdays.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...challenge.html
Old 23 December 2013, 06:34 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Mouser,

Combat 18

Sod off over there and leave the rest of us decent folk to get on with it eh? It's not much of a story and you are just stirring!
Old 23 December 2013, 06:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think they have to be over 18?

dl
Old 23 December 2013, 06:48 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Mouser,

Combat 18

Sod off over there and leave the rest of us decent folk to get on with it eh? It's not much of a story and you are just stirring!
Go away and stop stalking me.

Originally Posted by David Lock
I think they have to be over 18?

dl
If by 18 you mean IQ, that will rule both of you out.
Old 23 December 2013, 07:18 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Typical, same op starts another muslim thread.

Wonder if he's likes foreigners/non whites?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 23 December 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Rephrase
Old 23 December 2013, 07:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

What I don't get is the motive of the guy buying the Booz. So he had to wait a few minutes. Why contact the papers.
Trouble causer, and now the poor girl will be getting ( possibly) unwanted attention.
Old 23 December 2013, 07:33 PM
Lisawrx

What I don't get is the motive of the guy buying the Booz. So he had to wait a few minutes. Why contact the papers.
Trouble causer, and now the poor girl will be getting ( possibly) unwanted attention.
Maybe he got paid for the story. Or at the very least, forced M&S into a corner to issue vouchers as some form of compensation. Suppose it would come in handy this time of year......
Old 23 December 2013, 07:38 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Typical, same op starts another muslim thread.

Wonder if he's likes foreigners/non whites?
If you are too thick to see it is not about Muslims that is your problem.

Quick Reply: Are Muslims allowed to sell alcohol?