Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2013, 08:15 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Public Sector Pay Austerity...

Has to stop somewhere

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25287108

What a bunch of robbing *****, that's our money that the government cannot afford to spend on stuff like schools and healthcare...
Old 08 December 2013, 09:18 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this really a surprise? So much for being in touch with the general public!! Can't wait for F1 to jump on this!
Old 08 December 2013, 09:59 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

double standards - good to see they are leading by example

We has an independent pay review a few years ago set up by the government. Their findings were that we should have a 10% pay rise when they take into account the roles we do etc etc. When they government saw the findings, they chose to ignore them.

Now they argue that they can not ignore the findings from their independent review...
Old 08 December 2013, 10:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When looking at the headline spiel, I was as outraged as the next person.

However what the media fails to properly report is the reasoning why. As this relates to MPs wages being relatively frozen many years ago and the expenses system being (ab)used as a subsidy. Now the expenses system cannot be used as a wage subsidy there is now a wage/earning shortfall. Taking pure figures into account IPSA's justification actually is quite a valid one.

In any other employment role, I don't think anyone would have argued about it (except banking and public sector ) - basic wages for our MPs ARE one of the lowest in Europe. But because most politicians are c**ts we are up in arms (and I won't argue that point either - most have never worked in the real world ).

In my eyes MPs salaries do need realigning...BUT many of our MPs do not DESERVE a wage let alone a increase, because of who they are and the lack of results they achieve when it comes to representing the public that voted for them.

Really, what IPSA should be doing is reducing the overall number of politicians and given the power to actively fire MPs that are either corrupt, dishonest or fail to achieve and permanently bar them from practice in UK politics (like that'll ever happen ). Then reward the remaining good politicians with the salary increase; The UK is politically over-represented, we have more politicians than many larger countries, with the exception of the corrupt or countries that are political jokes (like Italy). I'd be happy to see fewer politicians, that are higher paid but are also more accountable for their actions, unlike our current bunch of weasels that slither their way around when their action/inactions catch them out.

Note the wages of politicians in Greece, Ireland and Italy compared to ours. Then look at the state of their respective economies. This joke isn't isolated to the UK, and it isn't funny either.

Freedom for Tooting!!!!

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 December 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08 December 2013, 10:54 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonc
Is this really a surprise? So much for being in touch with the general public!! Can't wait for F1 to jump on this!

He'll be along very soon with the usual snouts in the trough rhetoric.

Or perhaps he drank too much milk this morning and died from a massive allergic reaction?
Old 08 December 2013, 11:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's the surprise? They haven't been able to fiddle their expenses as much as they could in the past so as Ali says the shortfall has to be made up somewhere.

At least they are not trying to hide the fact and let's face it most normal people (as opposed to those who are actually dumb enough to think politicians are in politics for altruistic reasons) know what they're like by now anyway so it's hardly likely to sway the general public's opinion of them. They may as well grab what they can!
Old 08 December 2013, 11:48 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

To a lot of MP's their wage packet is a total irrelevance.
Has any MP actually ended up worse off after a spell in parliament?

Trending Topics

Old 09 December 2013, 08:48 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Whilst MP's publicly declare that these rises are wholly inappropriate in times of austerity, privately I would guess that many would welcome it. Given that the proposed rise would cost tax payers £4.6m, it is dwarfed by the £23m claimed in expenses used to subsidise their salary.
Old 09 December 2013, 09:11 AM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

I've been on a pay freeze for two years. I'm glad the £4k the government has saved on my wages is going to such a good cause.
Old 09 December 2013, 09:39 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
double standards - good to see they are leading by example

We has an independent pay review a few years ago set up by the government. Their findings were that we should have a 10% pay rise when they take into account the roles we do etc etc. When they government saw the findings, they chose to ignore them.

Now they argue that they can not ignore the findings from their independent review...
Yes but they hate our lot don't they Felix
Old 09 December 2013, 10:38 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

We're (still) all in it together!
Old 09 December 2013, 10:42 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yes but they hate our lot don't they Felix
You know, I'm so glad to have got out of the job. Although the other night, I saw the Gib are recruiting, I thought "Wow! Live in the sun. Plus they have boats! Where's my old application pack?" then I remembered that, no amount of living somewhere nice would make up for the crappy deal you guys are getting.