Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fuel duty frozen again. Another scam?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2013, 10:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fuel duty frozen again. Another scam?

Anyone who has been on here any length of time will be aware that HM Government now has a hole in it's taxation budget because people are driving less, using less fuel, due to the unreasonable green tax hikes instigated by Lying Labour and continued by this lot.

So why tell us they are freezing it, as if it's some sort of gift?

What is actually happening is that they can't afford to put it up further.

Another Tory Trick.
Old 07 December 2013, 11:04 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Anyone who has been on here any length of time will be aware that HM Government now has a hole in it's taxation budget because people are driving less, using less fuel, due to the unreasonable green tax hikes instigated by Lying Labour and continued by this lot.

So why tell us they are freezing it, as if it's some sort of gift?

What is actually happening is that they can't afford to put it up further.

Another Tory Trick.
Yes exactly, made me laugh that. He can say that every year now. "Well I was going to put fuel duty up by 5% but I've cancelled that so youlve all saved another 5% on your petrol bills... vote for me"

The biggest laugh is that outfits like the Fair Fuel campaign think it is them who have done this. Newsflash: politicians don't give a **** about things like that, it's the bottom line that dictates their policies!
Old 07 December 2013, 12:34 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

So if the FairFuel campaign didn't exist the government would still freeze duty ? Or if it didn't exist they wouldn't even pay any attention and just tax away ?
Old 07 December 2013, 12:51 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
So if the FairFuel campaign didn't exist the government would still freeze duty ?
The government do this for votes not to please some minute organisation like FairFuel.

It's all about giving with one hand and taking away with the other.
Old 07 December 2013, 04:17 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Just like Gas and Electricity prices.

"We're stopping suppliers increasing prices"..... Er, yeah! They all just increased them to compensate before you announced this
Old 07 December 2013, 06:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

"Newsflash"......it is a complete waste of time trying to economise on the use of energy, (gas and leccy), in the UK.

If you DO manage to economise, the suppliers will simply have to bang up prices again, since they MUST make a profit for their shareholders....
Old 07 December 2013, 07:27 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

"Newsflash"......it is a complete waste of time trying to economise on the use of energy, (gas and leccy), in the UK.

If you DO manage to economise, the suppliers will simply have to bang up prices again, since they MUST make a profit for their shareholders....
This ^^^

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2013, 08:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yep; Its a chicken and egg economy

If we all drive eco-cars, live in eco-houses. The coffers and all the energy companies end up with a shortfall due to people paying less; hence the price+tax has to go up to cover it.

So I'm doing my bit by driving a petrol guzzling car in a higher tax bracket - I should be awarded a medal, no, a knighthood. Afterall people have been knighted for doing less and even for ruining the economy
Old 07 December 2013, 09:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep, and become millionaires for telling lies.
Old 07 December 2013, 10:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I remeber when I was 17and passed my test and fuel was 35p a litre. Add 20 years to that and we were at 69p per ltr so doubled in near 20 years. Now fuel has doubled again and its in under ten years so sometying isnt right? Fuel as in speeding fines is an easy target but fuel is gettng i creased that much no that most people wont dive unless they have to?

I would never have a day away wiith my family as I would rather spend the fuel costs in a restaurant where i know we can have some good family time.
Old 07 December 2013, 10:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

People generally seem to drive alot slower these days around where I live;

Infuriatingly so, because if they are doing to try and achieve better fuel consumption they are all doing it wrong; I'm all about maintaining constant speed in top gear. So I don't take kindly to all these cars pottering around at 35mph everywhere which is not economical as they'll be in 3rd or 4th gear instead of 6th, and then hampering progress further by unnecessarily stopping or slowing excessively for roundabouts
Old 07 December 2013, 11:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
People generally seem to drive alot slower these days around where I live;

It pisses me off people driving 15mph in 20mph zones and they are friggin everywhere now, 20mph in 30 mph zones and lorry drivers must be so pissed off now as they are no longer the slowest vehicle on the road as I think people should be banned from motorways for constantly driving at 50mph or lower!

and breathe
Old 08 December 2013, 06:21 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I think people should be banned from motorways for constantly driving at 50mph or lower!
I'm in full agreement, I bet these type of drivers cause as much accidents as any other.
Old 08 December 2013, 08:27 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I'm in full agreement, I bet these type of drivers cause as much accidents as any other.
I would say they are more of a hazard on motorways,than someone doing 80/100mph,but the law etc is only interested in someone doing a few mph over the speed limit.These ******** p1ss about on the inside/middle lane,but because they are not speeding,i suppose they are classed as safe drivers with the law and these kill your speed groups.And you can always spot them entering a motorway doing 30mph on the slip road.
Old 08 December 2013, 11:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I remeber when I was 17and passed my test and fuel was 35p a litre. Add 20 years to that and we were at 69p per ltr so doubled in near 20 years. Now fuel has doubled again and its in under ten years so sometying isnt right? Fuel as in speeding fines is an easy target but fuel is gettng i creased that much no that most people wont dive unless they have to?

I would never have a day away with my family as I would rather spend the fuel costs in a restaurant where i know we can have some good family time.
35p a LITRE?

When I passed my test, petrol , then called 4*, was 5/6d a GALLON!!!

(That's 27.5p in new worthless coinage).

A mate rang me last year, and asked if I could take him to Nottingham, 70 miles, to pick up a car, and he would pay fuel.

Because it was a weekday, I didn't have the diesel, so pointed out that a 140 mile round trip would be in the region of 5.5 gallons, or about £32.50!!!

We used to think nowt of going to Nottingham for the day for the wife to shop, now we never go.
Old 08 December 2013, 11:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I did that with my mate when he drove us to Maiden Newton to support the tanks in his Disco TD5. I insisted I'd fill the tank up on the return leg.

I didn't realise its had a 90litre fuel tank until after the pump had gone over £100 in diesel
Old 09 December 2013, 12:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Big body diesels can gobble the fuel too.

Last year we went for a weekend in Blackpool with friends and in their Kia 4x4. Fuel bill was £52.

This year, we went in our Astra SRi CDTi 150. Fuel bill was £30.
Old 10 December 2013, 09:50 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Fuel as in speeding fines is an easy target but fuel is gettng i creased that much no that most people wont dive unless they have to?

I would never have a day away wiith my family as I would rather spend the fuel costs in a restaurant where i know we can have some good family time.
And then add in the effect of people staying in and not spending money in shops, preferring to send money abroad to the like of Amazon, Play etc...
Old 11 December 2013, 11:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep, they have a hole in the taxation budget due to being greedy, and stupid green policies, and they have NO idea what to do about it, LOL.

I have NEVER understood how the liars, sorry, politicans don't seem to be able to understand that you can't tax something out of existence IF YOU PUT THE TAX FROM IT INTO THE CENTRAL POT.

They have done exactly the same with tobacco and alcohol.

I read somewhere recently that, if everyone stopped driving cars, drinking and smoking overnight, they would need to raise income tax by an alarming amount!!!

How come they can't see that?
Old 11 December 2013, 12:11 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Because it's easy money for them and they can't see past their own snouts.

Like F1 says, pigs at the trough. Greedy Ba$tards....
Old 11 December 2013, 12:50 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Yep, they have a hole in the taxation budget due to being greedy, and stupid green policies, and they have NO idea what to do about it, LOL.

I have NEVER understood how the liars, sorry, politicans don't seem to be able to understand that you can't tax something out of existence IF YOU PUT THE TAX FROM IT INTO THE CENTRAL POT.

They have done exactly the same with tobacco and alcohol.

I read somewhere recently that, if everyone stopped driving cars, drinking and smoking overnight, they would need to raise income tax by an alarming amount!!!

Over in czech 20 Marlboro gold is £2.15.Here the same smokes between £8.00/9.00 ...

Last edited by DYK; 11 December 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11 December 2013, 01:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Over in czech 20 Marlboro gold is £2.15.Here the same smokes between £8.00/9.00 ...
They are doing the same with drink, how much does the average pint cost nowadays?

I'm glad I don't drink or smoke anymore than give those pigs an extra penny.
Old 11 December 2013, 02:20 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
They are doing the same with drink, how much does the average pint cost nowadays?

I'm glad I don't drink or smoke anymore than give those pigs an extra penny.
Some of the guys would go the pub after work on Friday,£3.70 for a beer.Price varies across the country from pub to pub.
Luckily many of us work over in Europe from a couple days/weeks.A stop at the supermarket by Calais etc to pick up a pack of smokes or case of beer comes in handy..
Old 11 December 2013, 02:52 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

When I first started driving 4* was about 80p a gallon so could fill my car up for about £9. I was earning £80 a week at the time, so just over 10% of my wages.

Fast forward 27 years and a fill up is now approx £70 so to be the same my weekly wage would need to be about £650, not a massive salary at my age but as an equivalent 17 year old who probably earns £200-250 a week it's a huge percentage.

I don't ever remember thinking twice about driving due to the price of fuel whereas I do now.

I accept something needs to be done about emissions etc but public transport is so poor (especially where I live) we couldn't as a family survive without two cars.

If fuel duty acted as a deterant to using the car and there was a viable alternative then fine, but there isn't and they know it, therefore I see fuel duty purely as another form of income tax.

Last edited by pflowers; 11 December 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11 December 2013, 03:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
When I first started driving 4* was about 80p a gallon so could fill my car up for about £9. I was earning £80 a week at the time, so just over 10% of my wages.

Fast forward 27 years and a fill up is now approx £70 so to be the same my weekly wage would need to be about £650, not a massive salary at my age but as an equivalent 17 year old who probably earns £200-250 a week it's a huge percentage.
This^^^^^

I don't ever remember thinking twice about driving due to the price of fuel whereas I do now.
And you are not alone in that, hence the taxation black hole.....

I accept something needs to be done about emissions etc but public transport is so poor (especially where I live) we couldn't as a family survive without two cars.
Ah....but it's NOT in London and the SE. So that's alright then....

If fuel duty acted as a deterant to using the car and there was a viable alternative then fine, but there isn't and they know it, therefore I see fuel duty purely as another form of income tax.
And once again, quite correct.

What gets me is the trying to tax smoking and drinking out of existence.
They have put themselves in the position of wanting people to stop smoking and drinking, yet NEEDING them to continue for the revenue.

The word "duplicitous" springs to mind.
Old 11 December 2013, 03:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The word "duplicitous" springs to mind.
The words w4nkers springs to mine